New 1/8 MT from Associated! Looks interesting. Rival MT8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey dude - for better steering remove servo saver spring - superglue the saver down so it’s in theory locked and then add a decent aluminium servo mounted saver (low profile to clear under the tower brace) I used a Treal one. The whole assembly on the MT8 wears over time as the two halves of the plastic saver wear away.
I hear what your saying, not really the problem I'm having though. I'm referring to the relationship between the steering rack and bellcrank arms. Really sloppy, I can watch the rack shuck up and down as I wiggle the front wheels with my hands. That's before the servo saver even moves. Now, my Kaiju has like a million miles on it but, it's had play in that area since early on when new, hasn't really changed much, nor did the upgraded aluminum rack make a difference. It's the bellcranks that are thin and flexible, and not securely connected to the rack. I've had it all apart multiple times, nothing look's visibly worn.. I think I need to either live with it like I have, or find a suitable set of bellcranks to "upgrade" to.. easier said than done. Kaiju has what's basically 1/10 sized steering posts and bellcranks..perhaps I need to be looking for 1/10 parts?🤔
As to the servo saver itself, not the best design, better than Arrma's since it's at least adjustable. If the saver parts are worn, maybe it's from the adjustment nut not tight enough or even broken? The nut is plastic and known to split. Mine has never loosened or split though. Thanks for the tip👍🍻

I hear what your saying, not really the problem I'm having though. I'm referring to the relationship between the steering rack and bellcrank arms. Really sloppy, I can watch the rack shuck up and down as I wiggle the front wheels with my hands. That's before the servo saver even moves. Now, my Kaiju has like a million miles on it but, it's had play in that area since early on when new, hasn't really changed much, nor did the upgraded aluminum rack make a difference. It's the bellcranks that are thin and flexible, and not securely connected to the rack. I've had it all apart multiple times, nothing look's visibly worn.. I think I need to either live with it like I have, or find a suitable set of bellcranks to "upgrade" to.. easier said than done. Kaiju has what's basically 1/10 sized steering posts and bellcranks..perhaps I need to be looking for 1/10 parts?🤔
As to the servo saver itself, not the best design, better than Arrma's since it's at least adjustable. If the saver parts are worn, maybe it's from the adjustment nut not tight enough or even broken? The nut is plastic and known to split. Mine has never loosened or split though. Thanks for the tip👍🍻
If I had one complaint that I can't fix on the Kaiju line, it was the steering slop. Even my brand new EXT suffers from it. Not a deal breaker, just something annoying. And yeah this right here is the cause. The bellcrank wiggles on the post. I think Redcat could fix the issue by releasing an aluminum bell crank. Or just redesign the existing one to eliminate some slop.

Hadn't thought about looking for a bellcrank from another truck.... Might start browsing the webs ;)

Hey dude - for better steering remove servo saver spring - superglue the saver down so it’s in theory locked and then add a decent aluminium servo mounted saver (low profile to clear under the tower brace) I used a Treal one. The whole assembly on the MT8 wears over time as the two halves of the plastic saver wear away.
Yes my steering rack wobbles (it’s aluminium). Lots of play in there agreed. I was having that play, then the loose servo saver. At least by eliminating the TA servo saver I’ve deleted that issue. The other wobble I think is by design. I’d need to lay my hands on a brand new one to compare. My MT8 is over 12 months old and has been bashed.

I wish I'd never brought a mt8, took it out twice and broke within 3 mins each time
Anyone know what other shock caps fit, I don't want to pay £30 for one cap

I wish I'd never brought a mt8, took it out twice and broke within 3 mins each time
Anyone know what other shock caps fit, I don't want to pay £30 for one cap
I don't know how good Redcat availability is in your region but, the Kaiju shares many parts with the MT8. Pretty sure the shocks are the same. $10 a pair for the aluminum upgrade shock caps here in the US. Can find them even cheaper if you do some digging.
https://www.redcatracing.com/products/rer13322?variant=32452794875994

Screenshot_20231129-131317_Samsung Internet.jpg

I bought a set of these aluminum caps nearly 2 years ago. I needed some other parts and spotted these @$5.99 a pair. Threw them in the cart..still haven't needed them yet though.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I don't know how good Redcat availability is in your region but, the Kaiju shares many parts with the MT8. Pretty sure the shocks are the same. $10 a pair for the aluminum upgrade shock caps here in the US. Can find them even cheaper if you do some digging.
https://www.redcatracing.com/products/rer13322?variant=32452794875994

View attachment 334601
I bought a set of these aluminum caps nearly 2 years ago. I needed some other parts and spotted these @$5.99 a pair. Threw them in the cart..still haven't needed them yet though.🤷‍♂️
Agreed on all parts, you can find these for very reasonable prices. Got two pairs of this for $10 total. IMO, the best thing Team Associated did for the MT8 (which also panned out well for Redcat) was making it very nearly resembling the Kaiju. More parts for both of the trucks.

Yeah can't find them in the UK, Amazon do have them but for.......£42🤣
I've broken the front arm as well, it hit a post at walking speed basically, and shattered to piece's right along the pin

Edit

Probably a bit faster than walking speed 🤣

I just ran my Kaiju over this past weekend, had been a while. What a treat, I really like that truck. Alot of fun. Mines an EXT these days, mostly just ripping around my track but, man, it really goes on 6s. I ran it exclusively on 4s for the longest time and was content with it. Then my bro upgraded his Maxx with a Max8/4268 combo, I couldn't keep pace with the Kaiju on 4s. So I swapped in a 4074 2000kv Surpass and 6s 4000mah brick. Dang, it's just mental now. He's only running 4s, but that thing (Maxx)is basically uncontrollable on 4s, 6? Forget about it. Neither is a good handling truck, but fairly equal, which makes alot of fun to us.
6s 🤣🤣 Ive ordered 2 3s packs, was intending on going 6s in the mt8, fck that for a laugh, it's made of cheese on the front end, it'll be ready for the scrap man after a 6s bash
I believe it was said that the Kaiju arms are better? Check out @razorrc videos on the MT8.
I felt the same about running the Kaiju on 6s, mines somewhat modified but, the driveline does fine on 6s generally.

Last edited:
6s 🤣🤣 Ive ordered 2 3s packs, was intending on going 6s in the mt8, fck that for a laugh, it's made of cheese on the front end, it'll be ready for the scrap man after a 6s bash
Just ordered this

https://radio-controlled.co.uk/product/zd-pirates3-bx-8e-buggy-1-8-4wd-brushless-rc-car/

Seems ok for the money
What my deal is,or was

5 years ago I had
2 mt4s g3
Savage 4.6
Hyper SS nitro
Savage flux
Team associated RC 8.2e
Basher sabertooth
Hyper 7 converted to brushless
25 lipos
Over 3 grands worth in wheels and spares and chargers tones of stuff over 5 year buying it all

Anyway went on holiday with my missus and kids for a week, come home pulled on drive and instantly my heart fell out of my stomach
My front door had been kicked off, I knew immediately all my stuff was gone, not even a dean charger lead was left, so just got the mt8 to get back in the hobby
Oh and the zd buggy I've ordered today,be here tomorrow

Last edited:
Yeah can't find them in the UK, Amazon do have them but for.......£42🤣
I've broken the front arm as well, it hit a post at walking speed basically, and shattered to piece's right along the pin

Edit

Probably a bit faster than walking speed 🤣
Should get a “Service Pack” included with new MT8s in the UK. It comes with Kaiju arms and some extra turnbuckles. It’s branded as a TA product but is supplied by the importer. Worth contacted the shop you bought it from.

You will need to swop all arms and turnbuckles (you can obviously home make stronger turnbuckles if you prefer) and hubs for Kaiju ext composite or aluminium if you intend to bash it even mildly. It also does not like British winters. The Stock plastic Is more at home in California @razorrc !!

Just ordered this

https://radio-controlled.co.uk/product/zd-pirates3-bx-8e-buggy-1-8-4wd-brushless-rc-car/

Seems ok for the money
What my deal is,or was

5 years ago I had
2 mt4s g3
Savage 4.6
Hyper SS nitro
Savage flux
Team associated RC 8.2e
Basher sabertooth
Hyper 7 converted to brushless
25 lipos
Over 3 grands worth in wheels and spares and chargers tones of stuff over 5 year buying it all

Anyway went on holiday with my missus and kids for a week, come home pulled on drive and instantly my heart fell out of my stomach
My front door had been kicked off, I knew immediately all my stuff was gone, not even a dean charger lead was left, so just got the mt8 to get back in the hobby
Oh and the zd buggy I've ordered today,be here tomorrow
Oh man. At first I read ur post quick. Was like, yeah, I know of most of those rc's. Then realized you got robbed of all those. Dang, sorry brother.
I have an MT4 still, great rig in it's time. Mine's in ST4 form these days. I went through and rebuilt it as best I could bout 3 years ago. Parts are scarce, well, were, gone now basically. I run it on my track, 4s, occasionally. Also have a 2007 Xray buggy I converted to electric, that I can still get most parts for surprisingly.
As to the MT8, I never had or saw one, but from my understanding it should be a decent light duty basher? The Kaiju has served me well for 3 years now. I'd try for the aforementioned "service pack" maybe?

I've got the mt8, it's the zd buggy I've ordered today,
Mate on the burglary, even in recent times I still wake up in the middle of the night and I'll instantly think about it, must have been between 8 to 9 grands worth, and I'm one of those that strip it down every week and rebuild the diffs with new oil, every vehicle was in immaculate condition, had 4 sets of brand new unopened badlands, few sets of trenchers, 2or 3 unopened castle 2200kvs and hobbywing escs
It would have took 2 people half hour to get it out, the must have had a van or something
I know it sounds stupid, but it sent me in to a depression
Just the lipos and chargers and had 4 unopened 1 us gallon byrons 25% nitro fuel must have been over 1500 quid

Oh yeah, tramps had my beloved Dremel 🤬🤣
And cordless power tools
Loved my Dremel 😆

Last edited:
I've got the mt8, it's the zd buggy I've ordered today,
Mate on the burglary, even in recent times I still wake up in the middle of the night and I'll instantly think about it, must have been between 8 to 9 grands worth, and I'm one of those that strip it down every week and rebuild the diffs with new oil, every vehicle was in immaculate condition, had 4 sets of brand new unopened badlands, few sets of trenchers, 2or 3 unopened castle 2200kvs and hobbywing escs
It would have took 2 people half hour to get it out, the must have had a van or something
I know it sounds stupid, but it sent me in to a depression
Just the lipos and chargers and had 4 unopened 1 us gallon byrons 25% nitro fuel must have been over 1500 quid
No, I can believe it. That's serious. Truly sorry to hear. I don't get crazy on maintenance or cleaning, but between my brother's stuff that he stores at my place, and mine, some real money sitting here. Up to you what to do with the MT8 of course, I have a real liking for my Kaiju though. Even if it's one of my lower end rigs, it's just put so many smiles on my face. I can't imagine the MT8 isn't just as capable.
I actually installed Arrma Mojave rear lower suspension arms at all 4 corners of it. Upgraded all the hinge pins from 3 to 4mm. It's a tough truck IMO.

No, I can believe it. That's serious. Truly sorry to hear. I don't get crazy on maintenance or cleaning, but between my brother's stuff that he stores at my place, and mine, some real money sitting here. Up to you what to do with the MT8 of course, I have a real liking for my Kaiju though. Even if it's one of my lower end rigs, it's just put so many smiles on my face. I can't imagine the MT8 isn't just as capable.
I actually installed Arrma Mojave rear lower suspension arms at all 4 corners of it. Upgraded all the hinge pins from 3 to 4mm. It's a tough truck IMO.

Who was that that had their house burn down a few years ago and just as they were getting their collection going again got robbed earlier this year?

House burnt down, and then robbed FFS
That's about as fcked up as it gets 🫣
Yeah he was on here and rc talk I haven't seen him on since he posted about it. People are complete scumbags.

House burnt down, and then robbed FFS
That's about as fcked up as it gets 🫣
Join the Rival MT8 owners Group on Facebook dude - we’ve got 300 boring nerds who will offer loads of advice on how to get the MT8 running like a dream - We’ve even got some YouTubers like AJ Jam who are big fans of the MT8… one day @razorrc might even join!
Don’t mistake us for the MT10/MT8 group - That place is full of people so hard for the MT10 that they can’t see straight!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back