New 1/8 MT from Associated! Looks interesting. Rival MT8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks better than any arrma... IMO
Now that I've gotton a better look at the MT8, I can totally agree with you. It really looks great!!
Team Associated needs to make a good showing in the 1/8 basher market I think.. hopefully this is it👍
Only one way to find out --

Those tires look alot like the pro line mashers I think. Should be a nice do it all type tire?

I agree with you. Not enough differences between this and the Kaijus. And I'm still skeptical about the metal chassis and high jumps. I'm thinking that it will bend. Hopefully I'm wrong. If it does bend, than that would make the MT8 WORSE than the Redcat KAIJU 😕
RC Hotspot's latest video compares the MT8 side by side to the Kaiju... It's remarkable how similar they are. Hubs, arms (upper/lower), knuckles, shocks, diff case, motor/esc, wheely bar. Basically the main difference I took away were shock towers, chassis (also t2t brace), maybe center diff?, and layout. FWIW, he has the Kaiju, EXT, and now the MT8. Looks like durability wise, aside from how the chassis might perform, it's going to suffer the same draw backs as the Kaiju (upper arm turnbuckles, drive shafts, overheating motor, etc).

I was debating between the two, but now it looks like it might not matter which I get! :LOL:

I like the mt8 layout better. Looks much more mod friendly by design. Bigger motor and esc looks easier if one were inclined to do so. Sound like an esc will likely be first upgrade.
The upper arms look the same but lowers on mt8 look to have a bit more material in them? Hope so. Motor fan and better esc connectors and should be a ripper I think. I sure wouldn't mind having one.

The 1st 3 parts I broke on my Kaiju was the steering rack, rear hinge that attached the wheelie bar, & upper arm - in that order. I didn't even break the upper arm jumping it. It was on a tumble. All of those parts are upgraded now, but they are all problems on the MT8 too. I also really like the layout & it should take the Kaiju upgrades too. But the Mojave arms really complete the platform. I would throw them on this in a second, anything to help keep the CVDs intact. I really like the looks of the Kaiju & EXT, considering the bodies for both came from junk cars :rolleyes:

20220321_182107.jpg
20220321_182009.jpg
20220321_182024.jpg

20220321_181812.jpg

The 1st 3 parts I broke on my Kaiju was the steering rack, rear hinge that attached the wheelie bar, & upper arm - in that order. I didn't even break the upper arm jumping it. It was on a tumble. All of those parts are upgraded now, but they are all problems on the MT8 too. I also really like the layout & it should take the Kaiju upgrades too. But the Mojave arms really complete the platform. I would throw them on this in a second, anything to help keep the CVDs intact. I really like the looks of the Kaiju & EXT, considering the bodies for both came from junk cars :rolleyes:

View attachment 208512View attachment 208513View attachment 208514
View attachment 208517
Losi body looks great on there.

View attachment 208512View attachment 208513View attachment 208514
View attachment 208517
Mojave arms on the Kaiju? I'm assuming mojave rear arms on all four corners of the kaiju?? Does that require mods or do they bolt up??? Please do tell.

I like the layout of the MT8, but I'm much more likely to want a plastic chassis for bashing, at least at my level of bashing. 9 times out of 10, I'm confident I'd be reaching for the plastic chassis kaiju for bashing than the alu chassis MT8. I feel like I'd spend most of my time driving the MT8 just concerned that if I send it I'm going to bend it.

Mojave arms on the Kaiju? I'm assuming mojave rear arms on all four corners of the kaiju?? Does that require mods or do they bolt up??? Please do tell.

I like the layout of the MT8, but I'm much more likely to want a plastic chassis for bashing, at least at my level of bashing. 9 times out of 10, I'm confident I'd be reaching for the plastic chassis kaiju for bashing than the alu chassis MT8. I feel like I'd spend most of my time driving the MT8 just concerned that if I send it I'm going to bend it.
Yes, arrma uses 4mm hinge pins vs kaiju 3mm. Some clearance for the front hubs. I have done this also. Really does give the kaiju a much tighter feel. I blew some shock seals on mine, threw some tt bushmaster shocks on for now.

20220318_153450.jpg

20220316_215327.jpg

RC Hotspot's latest video compares the MT8 side by side to the Kaiju... It's remarkable how similar they are. Hubs, arms (upper/lower), knuckles, shocks, diff case, motor/esc, wheely bar. Basically the main difference I took away were shock towers, chassis (also t2t brace), maybe center diff?, and layout. FWIW, he has the Kaiju, EXT, and now the MT8. Looks like durability wise, aside from how the chassis might perform, it's going to suffer the same draw backs as the Kaiju (upper arm turnbuckles, drive shafts, overheating motor, etc).

I was debating between the two, but now it looks like it might not matter which I get! :LOL:

Oh no, you definitely want the MT8. It drives way better...!

Truck drives soooo good.

Wow! I'd say it drives different than a kaiju! Double front and triple backflips on 4s! Awesome! Nice video Razor, nice driving too. I guess the lower arms are indeed too flexible like kaiju. I still feel like it's actually the lower arms that are the root cause of the uppers breaking. There seems to be too much flex in them I feel.
Turnbuckles in place of uppers is the quick solution I agree. I'm not 100% sure if the mojave arms will cure the problem or just move the breakage further inward(D block or gearbox)..
The MT8 is definitely more truggy in it's handling traits I'd say.
Now that there are 2 rigs (actually 3) using same arms, maybe RPM will have reason to develop some? That would sure be sweet..even better would be the OEM stepping up. If they would just add some more material to the lower arms, the truck would be SO much more durable IMO.

Wow! I'd say it drives different than a kaiju! Double front and triple backflips on 4s! Awesome! Nice video Razor, nice driving too. I guess the lower arms are indeed too flexible like kaiju. I still feel like it's actually the lower arms that are the root cause of the uppers breaking. There seems to be too much flex in them I feel.
Turnbuckles in place of uppers is the quick solution I agree. I'm not 100% sure if the mojave arms will cure the problem or just move the breakage further inward(D block or gearbox)..
The MT8 is definitely more truggy in it's handling traits I'd say.
Now that there are 2 rigs (actually 3) using same arms, maybe RPM will have reason to develop some? That would sure be sweet..even better would be the OEM stepping up. If they would just add some more material to the lower arms, the truck would be SO much more durable IMO.
The basic different between a MT & truggy is the the latter will handle better. A truggy has all 3 diffs on the same plane while traditional MT's front & rear diffs are lower than the center diff/trans. This effects center of gravity which has a great deal to do with handling. The Kaiju takes this a bit further. All 3 diffs are on the same plane, but the rest of the truck is fairly higher than the diffs. The floor of the tub chassis is center cut to the diffs. So it has a really high center of gravity. The Maxx & X-Maxx are built the same way.

I already wrecked a few gearboxes/shock towers with my upper arms. I tried an 1/4" 6061 aluminum plate first & it broke, so I moved up to a 1/8" steel plate & it has held up so far. It also doesn't help that the upper hinges are all plastic. If the arms don't give, the ears on the gearbox & shock towers will.

Last edited:
Only one way to find out --

Hey razor, can you start comparing size of different cars in your unboxing. It's really hard to see in the video how big the car is. I would like to see cars who claim to be 8scale to be compared to erevo or kraton, or 10 scale to hoss or arrma alternative. I have seen one comparison and this mt8 looks slightly smaller that max v1. I have a feeling that manufacturers mislead people with scale and size

Hey razor, can you start comparing size of different cars in your unboxing. It's really hard to see in the video how big the car is. I would like to see cars who claim to be 8scale to be compared to erevo or kraton, or 10 scale to hoss or arrma alternative. I have seen one comparison and this mt8 looks slightly smaller that max v1. I have a feeling that manufacturers mislead people with scale and size

Sort of like how these are both 1/10 scale monster trucks.

:unsure:

20151103_102752.jpg

Sort of like how these are both 1/10 scale monster trucks.

:unsure:

View attachment 208711
That looks like stampede. We already know that stampede, rustler, telluride, rally are based on a short chassis, and slash and hoss have long chassis, that's nothing new because we have seen hundreds of comparisons. But I have seen multiple comments and videos how people claim that for 500$ this is 6s kraton or sledge killer, and in reality it's seems significantly smaller than Maxx, and not even close to kraton or Revo or sledge. I am not saying bigger car is better, I actually prefer light weight 10 scale cars but if someone didn't see particular car in person, can't judge the size in the video without side by side. On camera even raminator can look like a regular car or with different close up angles tiny stampede can look big

That looks like stampede. We already know that stampede, rustler, telluride, rally are based on a short chassis, and slash and hoss have long chassis, that's nothing new because we have seen hundreds of comparisons. But I have seen multiple comments and videos how people claim that for 500$ this is 6s kraton or sledge killer, and in reality it's seems significantly smaller than Maxx, and not even close to kraton or Revo or sledge. I am not saying bigger car is better, I actually prefer light weight 10 scale cars but if someone didn't see particular car in person, can't judge the size in the video without side by side. On camera even raminator can look like a regular car or with different close up angles tiny stampede can look big
It's a little bigger than a Max V2 but smaller than a Kraton.

Rival MT8
Length:575mm (22.64in)
Width:411mm (16.18in)
Wheelbase:330mm (12.99in)

Max V2

Length:572mm (22.50 inches)
Front Track:405mm (15.95 inches)
Wheelbase:352mm (13.85 inches)

Kraton 6s.

Length594mm (23.39 inches)
Wheelbase377mm (14.84 inches)
Width461mm (18.15 inches)

Last edited:

Rival MT8

Max V2

Kraton 6s.

They're measuring the thing with the bumper & wheelie bar. What really matters is axle to axle wheelbase & track. It's actually the same size as a V1 Maxx with the wide kit, & that's with the stock tires that have a huge offset. The hub to hub front track is 13.1", same as the Kaiju & EXT.

Rival MT8

Max V2

Kraton 6s.

The only video I have seen is comparison between mt8 and Maxx v1 with wide kit. I have Maxx v1 with wide max kit, and I also have erevo, emaxx brushless tmaxx 3.3, summit and Maxx is not even close the size of those

Screenshot_20220326-220746.png

Screenshot_20220326-220817.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back