Outcast Outcast/kraton rear driveshaft popping out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zizi8862

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 4s
Just wanting to see if anyone else is having this issue. My outcast rear driveshaft keep popping out from the rear outdrive. I know they are plastic and so flexes under load but it's very hard to pop them back in. Seems like after a few times the plastic weakens so makes it easier to pop out again.

If this is a common issue is there a metal upgrade available??
Does this mean I have to loosen my slipper clutch

Attachments

• 15826211816881319808057783145433.jpg
    15826211816881319808057783145433.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 220
Just wanting to see if anyone else is having this issue. My outcast rear driveshaft keep popping out from the rear outdrive. I know they are plastic and so flexes under load but it's very hard to pop them back in. Seems like after a few times the plastic weakens so makes it easier to pop out again.

Lower your punch settings may help.

I don't think I have heard of that as being an issue. I think there may be another issue.

Your slipper clutch is to tight. You need new driveshafts the more you try and put them back together the weaker they get. This has been a problem with the 3s and 4s trucks. Arrma,home, and hot racing make metal ones

This is mainly why I sold my 4s kraton. I got tired of this happening over and over again. This was before they came out with steel cvds which I would’ve most definitely bought because the 4s kraton was a ton of fun. I had to play with the slipper clutch a lot but that gets annoying after while

Yep slipper is too tight if this is happening. I’ve found that once it has happened once and you snap it back in, it’s bound to happen again even if you adjust your slipper. You will need to replace that failed one and adjust the slipper too. ??

Yep slipper is too tight if this is happening. I’ve found that once it has happened once and you snap it back in, it’s bound to happen again even if you adjust your slipper. You will need to replace that failed one and adjust the slipper too. ??
Yea that's what I thought too once the plastic has bend it would loose its rigidity. You have any experience with the metal cvd? They seem like they are out of stock everywhere and they are bloody expensive
This is mainly why I sold my 4s kraton. I got tired of this happening over and over again. This was before they came out with steel cvds which I would’ve most definitely bought because the 4s kraton was a ton of fun. I had to play with the slipper clutch a lot but that gets annoying after while
Yea I guess thats the price to pay for having fun doing standing backflips. The metal cvd seems like they are out of stock everywhere which is a pain. I'll have to drive the truck on 20% power until I found some replacement

The u-joints wear and that happens. A tight slipper will exasperate the issue. There are HD driveshafts available for the 3S trucks but they are still not available for the 4S trucks.

I ran for a long time a right slipper my rear driveshafts are ruined but never poped out since my purshase. You could try with a heat gun to bend the plastic joing who flexed and pintch them togueter with something your driveshafts look berely used mine are worst than that
image.jpg

1.25 turn slipper for the outcast same for the kraton
Also check your bearings remplace the stock bearing rigth away because they are pretty much junk expect the ones toward the wheel hex still runing 3 of the stock ones and they are smooth like a ceramic bearing in my motor
Yea that's what I thought too once the plastic has bend it would loose its rigidity. You have any experience with the metal cvd? They seem like they are out of stock everywhere and they are bloody expensive

Yea I guess thats the price to pay for having fun doing standing backflips. The metal cvd seems like they are out of stock everywhere which is a pain. I'll have to drive the truck on 20% power until I found some replacement
Kraton 4s was purshased the 14 of june 2019 so almsot a year with the stock shafts
Running a 4000mah 40c 4s lipo punch 4 was running 0.75 turn slipper now going to 1 turn maybe my lipo is not super harsh.

Last edited:
I ran for a long time a right slipper my rear divedhafts are ruined but never poped out since my purshase. You could try with a hit gun to bend the plastic joing who flexed and pintch them togueter with something your driveshafts look berely used mine are worst than that
View attachment 67020
1.25 turn sliper for the outcat 1 turn for the kraton would be the sweet spot imo
Also check your bearings remplace the stock bearing rigth away because they are pretty much junk expect the ones toward the wheel hex still runing 3 of the stock ones and they are smooth like a ceramic bearing in my motor

Kraton 4s was purshased the 14 of june 2018 so almsot a year with the stock shafts
Running a 4000mah 40c 4s lipo punch 4 was running 0.75 turn slipper now going to 1 turn maybe my lipo is not super harsh.
June 14th is my bday! But 2018 was almost 2 years ago and almost a year before the K4S release ???‍♂️

I ran for a long time a right slipper my rear divedhafts are ruined but never poped out since my purshase. You could try with a hit gun to bend the plastic joing who flexed and pintch them togueter with something your driveshafts look berely used mine are worst than that
View attachment 67020
1.25 turn sliper for the outcat 1 turn for the kraton would be the sweet spot imo

Kraton 4s was purshased the 14 of june 2019 so almsot a year with the stock shafts
wow your looks like it had a lot of use. That was why I got so surprised when it popped out. I'll try 1.25 turn and see how that goes, are you still able to do standing back flips at that slipper clutch setting?

Guess I should buy a spare set of the CVD drives in case it keeps popping out
Your slipper clutch is to tight. You need new driveshafts the more you try and put them back together the weaker they get. This has been a problem with the 3s and 4s trucks. Arrma,home, and hot racing make metal ones

Do you know where I can find the metal CVD drives? Cant seem to find any in stock

wow your looks like it had a lot of use. That was why I got so surprised when it popped out. I'll try 1.25 turn and see how that goes, are you still able to do standing back flips at that slipper clutch setting?

Do you know where I can find the metal CVD drives? Cant seem to find any in stock
My kraton does smooth backflips like it doeent flip on its roof. The outcast idk i don't own one maybe it can because of the short wheel base
The metal CVDS for the 4s line are not released yet
I will buy another plastic CVDs for the rear if they ever fail not like my rustler who broke driveshafts in all 4 corners even after a tumble every week
Red thread lock the end of the threads too
Use a good quality tool can be difficult to remove the slipper screw the first time and wil red threadlock just playing with the screw breking down the thread lock you should be able to remove it better to be difficult to remove than ruining your day on the field.

My kraton does smooth backflips like it doeent flip on its roof. The outcast idk i don't own one maybe it can because of the short wheel base
The metal CVDS for the 4s line are not released yet
I will buy another plastic CVDs for the rear if they ever fail not like my rustler who broke driveshafts in all 4 corners even after a tumble every week
Red thread lock the end of the threads too
Use a good quality tool can be difficult to remove the slipper screw the first time and wil red threadlock just playing with the screw breking down the thread lock you should be able to remove it better to be difficult to remove than ruining your day on the field.
Yea i have just bought a spare set of CVD drives from Jennys as a spare, will be interesting to see how well the metal ones are when they come out. This RC hobby really is a endless money pit, I have so much fun fixing it and running the truck but my credit card bill is going up fast. I was planning to get a kraton 6s this year but I think i will stick with the outcast for a bit longer now seeing how much money they cost to run.

There aren’t any yet, but they appear to be coming soon

https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=TFF288RC;c=1427

Has ANYYYYBODY figured out a solution for this yet? I’ve replaced my rear drive shafts with stock replacements FOUR times now. And they continue to pop out of the U-Joint that is closest to the tire. Punch settings are back at stock settings. I can’t make it though ONE battery cycle without this happening to me. First couple times I jus popped it back in but then realized the plastic jus got weaker the more they popped out and back in. I know the metal upgrades don’t come until late April and I’m ready to give up on this car until then. Already pre ordered 2 sets of them. But does anybody have a solution so I don’t have to throw this car to the side until then. I’ve got 8 more stock replacents sitting here that I could easily put on and keep running the car but whats the point if I can’t even get through one cycle without it happening. Don’t care to keep replacing the same thing over and over. Somebody help. This is a really annoying problem

Yes the solution is to set your slipper clutch properly and get a fresh set of driveshafts. Doing only one will just perpetuate the issue.

Has ANYYYYBODY figured out a solution for this yet? I’ve replaced my rear drive shafts with stock replacements FOUR times now. And they continue to pop out of the U-Joint that is closest to the tire. Punch settings are back at stock settings. I can’t make it though ONE battery cycle without this happening to me. First couple times I jus popped it back in but then realized the plastic jus got weaker the more they popped out and back in. I know the metal upgrades don’t come until late April and I’m ready to give up on this car until then. Already pre ordered 2 sets of them. But does anybody have a solution so I don’t have to throw this car to the side until then. I’ve got 8 more stock replacents sitting here that I could easily put on and keep running the car but whats the point if I can’t even get through one cycle without it happening. Don’t care to keep replacing the same thing over and over. Somebody help. This is a really annoying problem
It is simple your slipper clutch is too tight the slipper is not doing is job of protecting your drivetrain if you fix the driveshaft issue ita going to break something else you need a ton of stress to pop one of the U joins off we are not talking poopy traxxas driveshafts who snap in the pin hole we are talking about the hard rigid plaatic spreding out are you spraying your driveshafts with wd40? Something to consider no to do. I have ran with a tight slipper in my kraton 4s and they still did not poped out the holes are stretched but the driveshaft still works the clutch should be 1.25 turns from fully tight. If you able to do a standing backflip thats a big red flag.
Car is almost a year old still on the original shafts
IMG_1689.JPG

If you have a 3D printer @Camaroboy383 has made a plastic reinforcement for the shafts in the U join of the 3-4s line ask him to send you the file.
Post it on the 3D printer thread too could be handy
Yea i have just bought a spare set of CVD drives from Jennys as a spare, will be interesting to see how well the metal ones are when they come out. This RC hobby really is a endless money pit, I have so much fun fixing it and running the truck but my credit card bill is going up fast. I was planning to get a kraton 6s this year but I think i will stick with the outcast for a bit longer now seeing how much money they cost to run.
How your shafts doing since?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back