Radio help needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exc3l

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
Hello! I am almost done with my RC build (never will be) but now I am in the market for a radio that is not too expensive. 100-130CAD Max. I need a relatively good amount of range because I run in a massive parking lot. That's the best you will get here without driving an hour or 2 away. Looking at the Flysky GT5 6 channel radio. I will at least need 4 channels because I run 2 fans but I do have a splitter coming. But just for the future 4 channels, please or more. I have read about the Radiolink RC6GS but some are saying it doesn't get any more range than the DumboRC or the Tactics (SLT3). The 3pv is out of my range and I am really interested in the GT5. Thanks, everyone! @LibertyMKiii @jondilly1974

Last edited:
The RC6GS V2 has way more range than the Dumbo! I had all kinds of issues at range with the Dumbo and haven't had a single issue yet with the RC6GS V2. My speed runs have been 4000+ ft each run so definitely has some good range and like I said I haven't lost range or had issues at distance yet, also average runs with Dumbo was about 3200+ ft and has issues so

The RC6GS V2 has way more range than the Dumbo! I had all kinds of issues at range with the Dumbo and haven't had a single issue yet with the RC6GS V2. My speed runs have been 4000+ ft each run so definitely has some good range and like I said I haven't lost range or had issues at distance yet, also average runs with Dumbo was about 3200+ ft and has issues so
How do you see that far away...

Hello! I am almost done with my RC build (never will be) but now I am in the market for a radio that is not too expensive. 100-130CAD Max. I need a relatively good amount of range because I run in a massive parking lot. That's the best you will get here without driving an hour or 2 away. Looking at the Flysky GT5 6 channel radio. I will at least need 4 channels because I run 2 fans but I do have a splitter coming. But just for the future 4 channels, please or more. I have read about the Radiolink RC6GS but some are saying it doesn't get any more range than the DumboRC or the Tactics (SLT3). The 3pv is out of my range and I am really interested in the GT5. Thanks, everyone! @LibertyMKiii @jondilly1974
I got the Radiolink RC6G V2 with the RG7 receivers off Amazon and love it. The Flysky GT5 has been nothing but trouble as far as signal loss goes. I'll sell you my FlySky cheap if you want it.

How do you see that far away...
Thankfully the bright blue sticks out enough against the asphalt. Honestly I think I can go a little further but I haven't had issues getting up to and maxing out on speed yet. Also I'm pretty positive I end my run further away then I start it from me. Yesterday did 2 passes at 117 then last pass was 119mph. It's hard to tell but here's video of some 117mph passes again at 4000+ ft total run distance, haven't got the new PB 119 run uploaded yet.

I have owned the following radios:

Tactic TTX300 (many)
Spectrum STX2
Futaba 3PV
Radiolink RC6GS V1
Dumbo x6
Flysky NB4 Noble
And other various RTR radios

Hands down I would buy the NB4 every day of the week. Just another level of quality and features. Out of your budget, but I would highly recommend it over all of my other radios.
Can you post a screenshot from your phone from your 117mph record? It should show your distance there. Hard to imagine you’re going out more than 1000ft. I would be very impressed if you were. 👍🏻

Tactic TTX300 (many)
Spectrum STX2
Futaba 3PV
Radiolink RC6GS V1
Dumbo x6
Flysky NB4 Noble

Hands down I would buy the NB4 every day of the week. Just another level of quality and features. Out of your budget, but I would highly recommend it over all of my other radios.

Can you post a screenshot from your phone from your 117mph record? It should show your distance there. Hard to imagine you’re going out more than 1000ft. I would be very impressed if you were. 👍🏻
Here's the 119 pass from yesterday, 4117ft and that's straight down and straight back
Screenshot_20210407-082133.png

Here's the 119 pass from yesterday, 4117ft and that's straight down and straight backView attachment 137945
Yep so that is 1000ft then. You are driving down 1000ft, turning, coming back 2000ft, turning, and coming back 1000ft, for 4000ft total.

You had mentioned that you end further away than you start, so maybe it’s 1200ft at the big end? Hard for me to tell from here or a GoPro video. 🤘🏻

Tactic TTX300 (many)
Spectrum STX2
Futaba 3PV
Radiolink RC6GS V1
Dumbo x6
Flysky NB4 Noble

This would work if it were only a single pass from A to B to C and back to A, B to C being the distance of the actual run. I've got logs that show 5000+ feet because I might have aborted a run or made a second fast pass in the opposite direction. If it were done in the ABCD scenario, I guess you could just divide by two to get a pretty accurate reading on the actual distance of the run.

This would work if it were only a single pass from A to B to C and back to A, B to C being the distance of the actual run. I've got logs that show 5000+ feet because I might have aborted a run or made a second fast pass in the opposite direction. If it were done in the ABCD scenario, I guess you could just divide by two to get a pretty accurate reading on the actual distance of the run.
Yep I guess if you had multiple starts it would pad the total. Under best case it’s like you said above. My passes are usually in the 3200-3500ft range. I would need a ladder to see much more.

Ya I'd agree with ya it's probably 1200ft on the long end. I might do a range test and stand closer to my start and just see how far before I loose signal it will go. But I know I can start further away as my end is quite a ways further than my start point👍
So RC6GS is the one I should get? What do you say @Edough13. I have seen you use it alot. Do u use the GYRO, ABS or any other things?
I'd hands down say RC6GS V2 but I haven't used the others @jondilly1974 referred to. I don't use abs, gyro any of that junk just dual rate down to like 8-9% on steering and my hands on the wheel👍

Yep I guess if you had multiple starts it would pad the total. Under best case it’s like you said above. My passes are usually in the 3200-3500ft range. I would need a ladder to see much more.
Shortest logs I have are for a 101 mph pass at 2247 ft. and a 103 mph pass at 2500 ft. All my 110 + passes are showing 4200 to 5000 ft.

Shortest logs I have are for a 101 mph pass at 2247 ft. and a 103 mph pass at 2500 ft. All my 110 + passes are showing 4200 to 5000 ft.
Ya I know for a fact the 117pass at 4100 was straight down turn around made pass and back to me no restart. Same with yesterdays 119 pass was ABC as you said above no extra turn around/start.

Ya I know for a fact the 117pass at 4100 was straight down turn around made pass and back to me no restart. Same with yesterdays 119 pass was ABC as you said above no extra turn around/start.
Glad to see you progressing quickly. Love seeing others here killing it with speed. Keeps me interested

I've got my pack charging for some maiden passes with the new TP 4060-CM I'll do a range test after I make my passes today and see what I get and let everyone know👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back