Thinking about buying a used X-Maxx....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

Reaction score
Hi all!

So I've currently got an Arrma Talion V4 running a Max6 esc & massive TP4070 motor, but it's never really got me that excited. I put it together to do speed runs for the adrenaline rush, and just general fast bashing, but so far I've only managed to reach 60mph from it (on 6s). Strange since the stock electronics can get it to 70mph... Not sure if that's just because I don't have enough space to run it or whatever... I don't really bash hard and probably have only ever broken a couple of parts.

And after spending hundreds of £££ on it, I'm now thinking about doing a U-turn and selling it and getting an X-Maxx! :')

Man, they just look so cool. I've watched countless youtube videos of them and while they may not do more than 50mph, the fact they can *go anywhere* has a lot of appeal... But I got some questions to all you fellow X-Maxx owners out there.

--------------------------------------------------------------

1. Do any of you regret purchasing the X-Maxx and wish you'd bought, say, the Arrma Kraton 8s EXB?

2. Is it possible to lower the X-Maxx for road running? I haven't seen it lowered in any youtube videos.

3. Is it possible to keep the self-right feature if I change the esc? In the videos it seems to continuously flip over. Won't be used to it as I've never once flipped the Talion.

4. Can the drivetrain handle 5th scale power (e.g. Hobbywing Max5 56113 setup)?

5. Just curious why the X-Maxx typically has a 55mph limit? The motor is huge and runs on 33v, the Talion does 70mph with tiny motor and 24v. I get that the X-Maxx is bigger and heavier, but doesn't the increased power system even it out? Is it possible to have an general bashing setup that could achieve 50mph on grass and 70mph on road?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the long list of questions, I just need to be sure before I purchase that I'm not making a mistake. I'm actually looking at a couple of used X-Maxx's below, both seem to have their pros and cons...

- This one seems to be in very good condition with a Max5, stock motor and a bunch of other nice stuff...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/132189425544317/

- This one seems to be in not quite as good condition, but comes with a Max5 and a 56113 motor and a some other stuff like a belt drive etc...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/470967754142946/

Do either of these look decent or should I avoid, buy new and put in my own power system (either Hobbywing or Castle)?

Thanks so much for any help or advice, it is truly appreciated

I held off buying the X-maxx for a long time. I regret that now, should have bought them way earlier since I own two now.

I also have the 8s outcast but I take out the annex the most.

Don't use self right unless you like servicing diffs and buying new tyres

Buy new, sell the esc and motor and add your own if that's what you plan to do.. if you buy used be sure you know what your looking at and be prepared for any surprise's if issues should arise...

Yes you can lower it, can lower anything if you choose..👍

3. Is it possible to keep the self-right feature if I change the esc? In the videos it seems to continuously flip over. Won't be used to it as I've never once flipped the Talion.

4. Can the drivetrain handle 5th scale power (e.g. Hobbywing Max5 56113 setup)?

5. Just curious why the X-Maxx typically has a 55mph limit? The motor is huge and runs on 33v, the Talion does 70mph with tiny motor and 24v. I get that the X-Maxx is bigger and heavier, but doesn't the increased power system even it out? Is it possible to have an general bashing setup that could achieve 50mph on grass and 70mph on road?
3: I think the self right feature is a receiver/transmitter thing, but many people don't use it because of the extra stress on the drivetrain.

4: I've heard the X MAXX is best stock (outsourced RC), because if you put more power in it, it starts breaking a lot.

5: Big, fat, tall MT.

Thanks for all the great replies.

I wasn't sure if the self-righting feature was present in the radio gear or the esc. Would have thought it would need to be both? But since I plan on using my Radiolink RC6 and either a Max5 (or other esc), I guess it's a moot point... Not great if the diffs aren't up to it though because that would spell bad news for a more powerful motor.

My plan was to get rid of the stock system (if I bought it new), and put in the Max5 and 56113 motor (or equivalent). Then I could up the gear ratio for consistent 55mph runs off-road, without stressing anything out... That's what drew me to those used X-Maxx's on FB Marketplace, as they already have the power system I'm after, along with expensive aftermarket wheels and bodyshells etc...

Used vehicles like an X Maxx can be a crap shoot: it's a basher, so you have no idea how it was used or if it was maintained properly. Pics don't always tell the story: years ago I bought a used T Maxx, and when it arrived it had bent shock shafts that couldn't be seen in the pics and weren't disclosed in the description.

Used vehicles like an X Maxx can be a crap shoot: it's a basher, so you have no idea how it was used or if it was maintained properly. Pics don't always tell the story: years ago I bought a used T Maxx, and when it arrived it had bent shock shafts that couldn't be seen in the pics and weren't disclosed in the description.
That's very true, I'd have to have a good look at it. I've always bought used R/Cs in the past as its much better value for money IME

My Xmaxx is 3 1/2 years old now , so no , I don't regret buying it . My esc started acting funny , and wanting bigger electronics for my K8S , decided to put the K8S stuff into my Xmaxx and get the HW Max 5 and 1100kv for it ( BTW , love it !!! ) .
Out of all my RC's , the Xmaxx is the one I worry about the least when it goes tumbling or barrel rolling that it will be broken . Stock my Xmaxx did 43mph , with the K8S drivetrain (23t pin) on the stock 54t spur it does 50mph and wheelies very easily on demand !!
You won't regret buying one , but for me . I like new stuff . IMHO , the Xmaxx is the best thing TRX has ever made , and probably will be !!!! I have seen guys with Max 5 and 800kv , 1100kv running them successfully . Lowering it , I guess you can , but why ??? It is a MT , get something else for that application .

Self righting is a gimmick to me, destroys drivetrain. It's a big MT, 50 mph is more than you need if that, not made for speed running anyway, it's a basher. You can gear it up like anything else though but watch for heat.

Keeping it stock is the way to go, it lasts and you won't be breaking stuff. When stock esc craps put in Max 6, done.

It can use a couple simple upgrades OTB, these are widely known and are cheap fixes. I would wait till they break before upgrade.

Used Xmaxx's are a joke on Ebay, they go for almost new price, seen bid wars go past new price, and they are beat up, go figure, dummies.

With all that being said, my local hobby shop which is not local is ordering me one today from TRX and I will make the trek tomorrow to pay. $850 OTD, something I wanted for a long time, now have the cash, done deal, no more BS.

Good luck finding one used for a decent price not beat to hell.

Thanks for all the replies :)

I've always bought used RC's in the past as you get more for your money. But you're right, it's difficult to find one in really good condition. I guess due to the nature of the truck!

Self righting is a gimmick to me, destroys drivetrain. It's a big MT, 50 mph is more than you need if that, not made for speed running anyway, it's a basher. You can gear it up like anything else though but watch for heat.

Keeping it stock is the way to go, it lasts and you won't be breaking stuff. When stock esc craps put in Max 6, done.

It can use a couple simple upgrades OTB, these are widely known and are cheap fixes. I would wait till they break before upgrade.

Used Xmaxx's are a joke on Ebay, they go for almost new price, seen bid wars go past new price, and they are beat up, go figure, dummies.

With all that being said, my local hobby shop which is not local is ordering me one today from TRX and I will make the trek tomorrow to pay. $850 OTD, something I wanted for a long time, now have the cash, done deal, no more BS.

Good luck finding one used for a decent price not beat to hell.
1st off , congrats !!!! I agree with everything you say , I NEVER used the self righting ion mine , mine did 43mph stock , does 50mph now with the K8S electronics . When it was stock , I was getting around 40-45 minutes run time with the TRX 6700mah batts . Can't imagine any rc hobby guy ( or girl ) not liking an Xmaxx no matter what brand you are brand loyal to or what your fav would be . Xmaxx should be on every RC bucket list .

I bought my Xmaxx used $650. Works just fine. One thing the pictures didnt tell me is that its big! You could pay me to stand in front of that monster, while its heading toward you.

I like wrenching so buyong used never bothers me. If you can get new, do it.

Thanks for all the replies :)

I've always bought used RC's in the past as you get more for your money. But you're right, it's difficult to find one in really good condition. I guess due to the nature of the truck!
I buy used rc locally often. see it in person and make a deal. don't like it you can just wait for the next one. if you don't care about a warranty its the way to go. just looked and there are two xmax on cl right now near me, theres plenty out there to choose from...

1st off , congrats !!!! I agree with everything you say , I NEVER used the self righting ion mine , mine did 43mph stock , does 50mph now with the K8S electronics . When it was stock , I was getting around 40-45 minutes run time with the TRX 6700mah batts . Can't imagine any rc hobby guy ( or girl ) not liking an Xmaxx no matter what brand you are brand loyal to or what your fav would be . Xmaxx should be on every RC bucket list .
Self Righting is the worst invention ever - great idea, but it doesn't work. All it does is break the trucks.

I had bought one used and it had diff issues and some of the axles wobbled.
Fixes were in the ballpark of hundreds of dollars, which cost me about that I could have bought new for. The other issue with any Traxxas is the plastic chassis screw threads often get stripped by the prior owner. That sort of thing really bugs me....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back