Kraton Castle 1717 Heatsink + Fans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the setup I ended up going with was an Arrma Kraton 8s motor heatsink (ARA390296), @suchtragedy was kind enough to lend me a helping hand by 3d printing me one of his designs, the Kraton 8s dual 30mm fan motor heatsink adapter plate, which can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4460604

I decided to pair it with two ProTek RC 30x30x10mm aluminum high speed high voltage cooling fans (PTK-2111). With those fans I did need to extend the cable length with two cable extenders from Ruddog. One 150mm receiver extension wire w/JR plug (RDGRP-0208) and one 200mm receiver extension wire w/JR plug (RDGRP-0209).

The only reason I went with those extensions is because I couldn't find any two wire 200mm extensions in black.

So far I've been very happy with the setup, I ran the car through a full 5000mah 100c pack at 7.4v and I had zero overheating issues. For the record, I run a Tekno 23t pinion gear and I have my Castle to shutoff at 180 degrees Fahrenheit. I can't thank @suchtragedy for not only coming up with a great design to run the dual fan setup, but also helping me with the printing component.

Lastly, I got 8 stainless steel screws from Ace Hardware to get everything snugged into place. I'll be updating the OP in a bit, so that anyone searching from Google might have an easier time finding a solution to a similar problem. Thanks again for everyones help!

Arrma Kranton 6s Heatsink 1.jpg

Arrma Kranton 6s Heatsink 2.jpg

Arrma Kranton 6s Heatsink 3.jpg

Arrma Kranton 6s Heatsink 4.jpg

Arrma Kranton 6s Heatsink 5.jpg

Last edited:
So the setup I ended up going with was an Arrma Kraton 8s motor heatsink (ARA390296), @suchtragedy was kind enough to lend me a helping hand by 3d printing me one of his designs, the Kraton 8s dual 30mm fan motor heatsink adapter plate, which can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4460604

I decided to pair it with two ProTek RC 30x30x10mm aluminum high speed high voltage cooling fans (PTK-2111). With those fans I did need to extend the cable length with two cable extenders from Ruddog. One 150mm receiver extension wire w/JR plug (RDGRP-0208) and one 200mm receiver extension wire w/JR plug (RDGRP-0209).

The only reason I went with those extensions is because I couldn't find any two wire 200mm extensions in black.

So far I've been very happy with the setup, I ran the car through a full 5000mah 100c pack at 7.4v and I had zero overheating issues. For the record, I run a Tekno 23t pinion gear and I have my Castle to shutoff at 180 degrees Fahrenheit. I can't thank @suchtragedy for not only coming up with a great design to run the dual fan setup, but also helping me with the printing component.

Lastly, I got 8 stainless steel screws from Ace Hardware to get everything snugged into place. I'll be updating the OP in a bit, so that anyone searching from Google might have an easier time finding a solution to a similar problem. Thanks again for everyones help!

View attachment 101593
View attachment 101594
View attachment 101595
View attachment 101596
View attachment 101597
Looks real nice ?? Great work @suchtragedy

I was thinking of using something like fork clamps for a fan mount when I build the Kraton, but they're too thick to fit. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. That 1717 can doesn't leave many ready fit options

Last edited:
I was thinking of using something like fork clamps for a fan mount when I build the Kraton, but they're too thick to fit. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. That 1717 can doesn't leave many ready fit options

If you run a PPS motor mount, you could easily fit the Castle 1717 without cutting the fins on the Kraton 8s heatsink. I know people have still squeezed in the 1717 without cutting the heatsink fins, but when I tried this I wasn't happy with the tension that it put on the chassis or the motor mount.

thumbnail_IMG_5314.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5313.jpg

I have had to cut my K8S heatsinks to get them to fit. Maybe if you’re running a huge pinion you could get away from hitting the roll cage mount. Or maybe run without the roll cage. ??‍♂️

I have had to cut my K8S heatsinks to get them to fit. Maybe if you’re running a huge pinion you could get away from hitting the roll cage mount. Or maybe run without the roll cage. ??‍♂️

True; I didn't even consider that I run a 23t pinion. Not sure if that even consider "huge". ?

If you run a PPS motor mount, you could easily fit the Castle 1717 without cutting the fins on the Kraton 8s heatsink. I know people have still squeezed in the 1717 without cutting the heatsink fins, but when I tried this I wasn't happy with the tension that it put on the chassis or the motor mount.

View attachment 105928
View attachment 105929

I'm not going to be running the PPS, not at first anyway. Couple quick questions tho. What temps are you getting with that set up? And other than cutting the fins, are there any other mods needed to make it work?

I'm not going to be running the PPS, not at first anyway. Couple quick questions tho. What temps are you getting with that set up? And other than cutting the fins, are there any other mods needed to make it work?

I believe the hottest I’ve seen is roughly 120 degrees. I run a 23t pinion and I think the pack I was running when I had seen those temps was a 6000 mAh 100c 6s liPo.

This could also be very dependent on your driving style from what I’ve heard. I have my ESC to cut off power at 180 I think, and it’s never happened.

No other mods needed to make the setup work. At least none that I could remember.

I believe the hottest I’ve seen is roughly 120 degrees. I run a 23t pinion and I think the pack I was running when I had seen those temps was a 6000 mAh 100c 6s liPo.

This could also be very dependent on your driving style from what I’ve heard. I have my ESC to cut off power at 180 I think, and it’s never happened.

No other mods needed to make the setup work. At least none that I could remember.

Nice. Thank you. I see you have that PPS esc fan guard/switch deal. I ordered one up last week for this. Went with the Hobbystar fans tho, had some store credit.

You have had to cut more than fins? Without causing you the pita of taking it off, can you post a pic?

You have had to cut more than fins? Without causing you the pita of taking it off, can you post a pic?
This one isn’t finished yet as I’m waiting for my 1717 to come back from warranty. But here was what I started so far.
DB14100F-F8D6-44DE-BE4A-83102744F1F1.jpeg
708A1EC2-5475-4743-A6F4-E733C2D4C31A.jpeg

Nice. Thank you. I see you have that PPS esc fan guard/switch deal. I ordered one up last week for this. Went with the Hobbystar fans tho, had some store credit.

You’re welcome ?

The PPS switch holder is great. It’s a must have if you have a MMX 8S, in my opinion of course.

I feel like all these fans come from the same factory and are just rebranded anyways. I do like Proteks warranty, which is why I got them.

This one isn’t finished yet as I’m waiting for my 1717 to come back from warranty. But here was what I started so far.
View attachment 106195View attachment 106196

Thank you. That helps. Couldn't you have just turned it a bit, or would it hit the outdrive?
You’re welcome ?

The PPS switch holder is great. It’s a must have if you have a MMX 8S, in my opinion of course.

I feel like all these fans come from the same factory and are just rebranded anyways. I do like Proteks warranty, which is why I got them.

I like the shorter wires on the Proteks, I promised myself I'd have neater wires on this one. We shall see.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back