Kraton Castle 1717 Heatsink + Fans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. That helps. Couldn't you have just turned it a bit, or would it hit the outdrive?

I like the shorter wires on the Proteks, I promised myself I'd have neater wires on this one. We shall see.

You're going to have to buy extensions, unfortunately. The wires that come on those fans are too short. You'll need two 200mm extensions. I got the Ruddog 200mm Receiver Extension Wire w/JR Plug.

1603772625005.png

this is what I did for the 45,49 and 56mm motors I have. I imagine the same could be made for the 1717.

View attachment 106583
this is what I did for the 45,49 and 56mm motors I have. I imagine the same could be made for the 1717.

Wow. Nice work. Unfortunately I don't have access to any of that equipment. Ideally I want to go with something like this, just a mount for the fans, instead of the heatsink but I'm limited in machinery and skill to pull off something like that.

Nice. Thanks for sharing. Did you see an improvement in cooling of the motor?
yes, it knocks off maybe 20 degrees or so, the two hobbystar fans even better on the smaller 45/49 motors. this guy might make a mount for the 1717. there are several post about his work on the forum. His fine work does not come cheap. https://www.facebook.com/NTFRacingRC/

yes, it knocks off maybe 20 degrees or so, the two hobbystar fans even better on the smaller 45/49 motors. this guy might make a mount for the 1717. there are several post about his work on the forum. His fine work does not come cheap. https://www.facebook.com/NTFRacingRC/

Yeah, I’ve spoken with him before. I like the fans but I’m not a fan of the heatsinks he uses. After hearing from some of the racing buggy guys, I hear cooling is best when the fans are blowing directly at the motor Vs. blowing on a heatsink.

I understand that conceptually the heatsink is supposed to draw heat away from the motor, but I wonder if I had a mount that blew air directly on the motor, it might run even cooler.

Mocking things up and need to make a few adjustments. I'm using a slider from one of my crawlers to serve as a mount. The mount is attached to the two open holes on the body cage thingy. I would think that a piece of aluminum bar stock would work perfect for this once I get things sussed out.
PXL_20201122_224216515.PORTRAIT.jpg

Yeah, I’ve spoken with him before. I like the fans but I’m not a fan of the heatsinks he uses. After hearing from some of the racing buggy guys, I hear cooling is best when the fans are blowing directly at the motor Vs. blowing on a heatsink.

I understand that conceptually the heatsink is supposed to draw heat away from the motor, but I wonder if I had a mount that blew air directly on the motor, it might run even cooler.
Heat sinks work best on smooth cans and when the touch completely. You can even go as far as adding thermal paste.

I'm guessing it will hold up better than any fan that would be attached to it. It's a solid piece of aluminum that's bolted to the roll cage; it seems incredibly stout.

My only concern right now is taking a big hit that will deflect the roll bar enough to smash the fans into the motor and scratch it up, but whatever. If clearance becomes a problem, I can always bolt a couple of fan rails (ie, strips of metal) to the underside of the mount and then attach the fans to the rails.

I'm guessing it will hold up better than any fan that would be attached to it. It's a solid piece of aluminum that's bolted to the roll cage; it seems incredibly stout.

My only concern right now is taking a big hit that will deflect the roll bar enough to smash the fans into the motor and scratch it up, but whatever. If clearance becomes a problem, I can always bolt a couple of fan rails (ie, strips of metal) to the underside of the mount and then attach the fans to the rails.
You guys have me second guessing the K8S heatsink and fan on my 1717 as it rubs the body anyways. I might have to give something like this a try ??

Makes sense. ??

You guys have me second guessing the K8S heatsink and fan on my 1717 as it rubs the body anyways. I might have to give something like this a try ??

Once I added the PPS mount there was plenty of room. However, I would be more inclined to go with an option that doesn’t require a heatsink if I was given the choice. Unfortunately, there aren’t any options for purchasing, only options I’ve found are ones which require me to fab something up myself.

Thanks to this thread. I was able to get a cooling solution in time for the warmer weather around the corner and throw on larger pinions. I also 3d printed a fan shroud for the velocity stack. If I needed, I have some 40mm server fans ready to be mounted.

IMG_7621.jpeg
IMG_7615.jpeg
IMG_7616.jpeg

IMG_7639.jpeg

I recently installed a Castle Creations 1717 (1650KV) motor with a Mamba Monster X 8s ESC. My questions are:

1. Do you know of any heatsinks that fit this motor?
  2. Do you know of any fans that would fit on your recommended heatsinks?

For context- I’m running a Tekno 20t pinion and the factory spur gear that comes on the Kraton 6s EXB.

I understand the heatsink and fans might be overkill since I’m not running a really large (relatively speaking) pinion.

Any direction would be much appreciated.

View attachment 96814

**UPDATED September 25th, 2020**

So the setup I ended up going with was an Arrma Kraton 8s motor heatsink (ARA390296), @suchtragedy was kind enough to lend me a helping hand by 3d printing me one of his designs, the Kraton 8s dual 30mm fan motor heatsink adapter plate, which can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4460604

I decided to pair it with two ProTek RC 30x30x10mm aluminum high speed high voltage cooling fans (PTK-2111). With those fans I did need to extend the cable length with two cable extenders from Ruddog. One 150mm receiver extension wire w/JR plug (RDGRP-0208) and one 200mm receiver extension wire w/JR plug (RDGRP-0209).

The only reason I went with those extensions is because I couldn't find any two wire 200mm extensions in black.

So far I've been very happy with the setup, I ran the car through a full 5000mah 100c pack at 7.4v and I had zero overheating issues. For the record, I run a Tekno 23t pinion gear and I have my Castle to shutoff at 180 degrees Fahrenheit. I can't thank @suchtragedy for not only coming up with a great design to run the dual fan setup, but also helping me with the printing component.

Lastly, I got 8 stainless steel screws from Ace Hardware to get everything snugged into place. Thanks again for everyones help!

View attachment 101599
View attachment 101600
View attachment 101601
View attachment 101602
View attachment 101603
I will be building a similar set up. I will have to see if I can get my cousin to print me off the adapter plate. I will be running 34 pinion : 34 limitless spool. I wonder if this can keep the temps low enough. What temps have you seen?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back