FYI Castle XLX2 & Mamba Monster X8S service advisory statement released.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMballistic

ROSSA ~ Officially fast.
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
This is not a thread for finger pointing or he said, she said just a heads up of a statement that Castle have released which I thought some would want to know as they own the ESC's. (y)

Link: https://home.castlecreations.com/bl...3YpTNQMdko6Vq-889yU8seDM7QmyZKNaZaj4cWys2VJCk

Quote the main part;
"

It has come to our attention that a limited number of Mamba XLX2 ESCs have experienced a failure upon plug in or while running. Most users report no problems with the XLX2 but after considerable investigation and root cause analysis, we would like to share the following information.
MOTOR ADVISORY APPLIES TO:
MAMBA XLX2 8S, 33.6V ESC, 20A PEAK BEC 1/5 SCALE ESC (Part Number: 010-0167-00)
MAMBA MONSTER X8S , 33.6V ESC, 8A PEAK BEC 1/6TH SCALE ESC (Part Number: 010-0165-00)
At this time, Castle is advising to immediately discontinue use of Delta wound motors and any motors that are 2000Kv or higher.
Three phase motors come in two common wiring patterns, Delta (D-wind) and Wye (Y-wind). Each pattern has its own power characteristics and Castle motors have a Y-wind design. Our current data suggests that D-wind motors, especially larger motors (40mm x 80mm or longer and 56mm diameter or larger) and any motors that are 2000Kv or higher are not currently suitable for operation with the Mamba XLX2 or Mamba Monster X8S. Running these motors can result in abnormal operation and may lead to premature ESC and/or motor failure.
If you are unsure whether the motor you are running or intending to run is a D-wind, please contact the motor manufacturer.
Castle is working on a firmware update that will allow the use of D-wind motors and motors greater than 2000kv. Once released, all XLX2 and Monster X 8s ESCs can be updated via the Castle Link USB programmer or B-LINK Bluetooth™ adapter to the new firmware. The estimated availability for this firmware is the end of January 2021.

MANUFACTURING AND ASSEMBLY ADVISORY APPLIES TO:
A small number of XLX2 units from the first production build could experience an internal hardware failure. Busbars that are housed within the Mamba XLX2 circuitry may, in limited circumstances, be misaligned and cause a malfunction to occur during the very first use of the ESC, whereby the ESC may beep and then stop responding.
Anyone experiencing this type of failure is encouraged to contact Castle for a warranty service. The manufacturing lot codes of this build are C27255, C27711, and C27964. This information is contained on the label adhered to the wires on the ESC and on the outside of the product box. Note that this issue has been addressed in subsequent manufacturing runs.
If you would like to have your ESC inspected and tested for this issue, please submit an SA2021-1 RETURN FORM and ship the ESC to Castle Creations, 540 N. Rogers Rd. Olathe, KS 66062. If it is determined that the unit exhibits this problem, it will be replaced with a new unit."
"

If you have TP Power motors and don’t know if you have D or Y-wind see chart below and reference your motors size and kv to see the wind spec
B07EF25F-F188-4FC5-8095-CD8C04E9FC5E.jpeg

3674C4C5-CADE-4788-919B-E99AA942876D.jpeg

083CA351-3D7C-43CD-B2BD-77E8BCAF1AC2.jpeg

92F90992-1372-4854-9604-977636F0963A.jpeg

2CD7AA1C-2351-4ED5-AF31-B546255B1D2A.jpeg

7229AA95-9776-4B0C-9349-42F5105F77F5.jpeg

3167C534-59A7-48EE-AA3E-ECC3AF2FC8B2.jpeg

9A1FD280-D0D9-4C47-8B03-0AF397F126AC.jpeg

0BFDC7C8-DCC9-4BF4-B505-F5720D6A0429.jpeg

So it's a D-wind motor compatibility issue that can trigger the burning lottery. I am guessing the kv advise is mostly a precaution as basically all 2000+kv motors on higher voltage are D-winds. I am glad to hear it can/will be solved by a firmware update. It means the one i currently have in shipping should have no hardware quality issues and I just needs to wait a little before it can be exposed to them mighty D-wind motors safely. The shipping will still take some time, so with a little of luck the firmware will be ready when it arrives.

Until now, I didn't publicly mention what happened with my early bird XLX2. I experienced the issue as described in the second part. A busbars misalignment apparently. I contacted castle and received excellent support. Shipped it back for investigation. As the publication says the issue has been addressed in subsequent manufacturing runs. So it should remain a rare case given the production volume isn't that large (yet)

So dumb question but the combos aren’t affected? I’m looking into the 1717 combo being 1650kv and the 1515 combo but that’s not the 8s esc.

This is not a thread for finger pointing or he said, she said just a heads up of a statement that Castle have released which I thought some would want to know as they own the ESC's. (y)

Link: https://home.castlecreations.com/bl...3YpTNQMdko6Vq-889yU8seDM7QmyZKNaZaj4cWys2VJCk

Quote the main part;
"

It has come to our attention that a limited number of Mamba XLX2 ESCs have experienced a failure upon plug in or while running. Most users report no problems with the XLX2 but after considerable investigation and root cause analysis, we would like to share the following information.
MOTOR ADVISORY APPLIES TO:
MAMBA MONSTER X8S , 33.6V ESC, 8A PEAK BEC 1/6TH SCALE ESC (Part Number: 010-0165-00)
At this time, Castle is advising to immediately discontinue use of Delta wound motors and any motors that are 2000Kv or higher.
Three phase motors come in two common wiring patterns, Delta (D-wind) and Wye (Y-wind). Each pattern has its own power characteristics and Castle motors have a Y-wind design. Our current data suggests that D-wind motors, especially larger motors (40mm x 80mm or longer and 56mm diameter or larger) and any motors that are 2000Kv or higher are not currently suitable for operation with the Mamba XLX2 or Mamba Monster X8S. Running these motors can result in abnormal operation and may lead to premature ESC and/or motor failure.
If you are unsure whether the motor you are running or intending to run is a D-wind, please contact the motor manufacturer.
Castle is working on a firmware update that will allow the use of D-wind motors and motors greater than 2000kv. Once released, all XLX2 and Monster X 8s ESCs can be updated via the Castle Link USB programmer or B-LINK Bluetooth™ adapter to the new firmware. The estimated availability for this firmware is the end of January 2021.

MANUFACTURING AND ASSEMBLY ADVISORY APPLIES TO:
A small number of XLX2 units from the first production build could experience an internal hardware failure. Busbars that are housed within the Mamba XLX2 circuitry may, in limited circumstances, be misaligned and cause a malfunction to occur during the very first use of the ESC, whereby the ESC may beep and then stop responding.
Anyone experiencing this type of failure is encouraged to contact Castle for a warranty service. The manufacturing lot codes of this build are C27255, C27711, and C27964. This information is contained on the label adhered to the wires on the ESC and on the outside of the product box. Note that this issue has been addressed in subsequent manufacturing runs.
If you would like to have your ESC inspected and tested for this issue, please submit an SA2021-1 RETURN FORM and ship the ESC to Castle Creations, 540 N. Rogers Rd. Olathe, KS 66062. If it is determined that the unit exhibits this problem, it will be replaced with a new unit."
"
I have (2) XLX2 I purchased last September. I installed 1 in my limitless paired with a TP 2900kv drag motor. I called castle earlier this week and was told to send them in for inspection, but they hadn't released the manufacturer lot code for suspected esc. Both of mine are from lot C27255. I guess I'll also have to wait for the software update for the monster X8s. I have it paired with a TP 4050 3200kv motor for drag racing.

Well I have a C27711 so I guess it’s headed back to the shop. Is castle covering shipping? Are you guys removing your connectors? Just in case they decide to replace the xlx2 you won’t loose them?

So dumb question but the combos aren’t affected? I’m looking into the 1717 combo being 1650kv and the 1515 combo but that’s not the 8s esc.
A castle combo is just fine. No worries

Well I have a C27711 so I guess it’s headed back to the shop. Is castle covering shipping? Are you guys removing your connectors? Just in case they decide to replace the xlx2 you won’t loose them?
They might cut them of and put them in the box when they ship it back ?
Its good they've finally said but bit rubbish for the people in uk or other different parts of the world, going to be a bit of a long turn around but atleast ya car ain't going to go up in flames.
I always tell my self never buy the first one's out just incase there's a problem
I never listen

Last edited:
Been running my MMX8S with a 4260cm 2080kv Delta (at least I'm pretty sure it's a 4D, as the 4070cm is🤷‍♂️) on 6S & 8S. No heat issues, no extreme ripple issues, and now I'm worried I've already done something that is a ticking bomb. I've had them say, it'll run any brushless motor. Now I have to wait for a month for an update🤬.

Anybody got a Y wind, preferentially a 1717 they can loan me🤣🙄😒

Now I am out of motors to run 🤔😒

Just went thru my list of motors...

TP 4050-CM 2300kv D-wind & over 2000kv
TP 4050-CM 3200kv D-wind & over 2000kv
Leopard Hobby V2 4275 2200kv y-wind, but over 2000kv

My only motor choice will be the 1717-1650kv I guess..... 🤷‍♂️

Now I am out of motors to run 🤔😒

Just went thru my list of motors...

TP 4050-CM 2300kv D-wind & over 2000kv
TP 4050-CM 3200kv D-wind & over 2000kv
Leopard Hobby V2 4275 2200kv y-wind, but over 2000kv

My only motor choice will be the 1717-1650kv I guess..... 🤷‍♂️
Just wait a few weeks for the firmware release.

For what it is worth, I have been running the TP 4050 3840kv d-wind very hard (over 400 amps) and have had zero issues.

Just wait a few weeks for the firmware release.

For what it is worth, I have been running the TP 4050 3840kv d-wind very hard (over 400 amps) and have had zero issues.
Which esc are you using with the 4050? Mamba X8S or XLX2?

Which esc are you using with the 4050? Mamba X8S or XLX2?
MMX8s which is noted in there to not run D wind motors. It isn't over 80mm length like they mention, but I geared it so high it was pulling over 400 amps so I think that counts ;)

Just wondering if the MMX8S and/or XLX2 was responsible for blowing my Leopard and TP motors? I also blew a 1717, which shouldn’t fit this bulletin.

Just wondering if the MMX8S and/or XLX2 was responsible for blowing my Leopard and TP motors? I also blew a 1717, which shouldn’t fit this bulletin.
I just don't know how?
Everyone has noted that the MMX8s ran the motor cooler.
My runs with ambient temps of 65-72 F the motor never went over 110 F.

Other than over heating a motor or over spinning it beyond the rated rpms what would the ESC do to it? The rest while operating within normal temps and normal RPMs usually is manufacturing defects where the Kevlar wrap has defects and then blows up.

I just don't know how?
Everyone has noted that the MMX8s ran the motor cooler.
My runs with ambient temps of 65-72 F the motor never went over 110 F.

Other than over heating a motor or over spinning it beyond the rated rpms what would the ESC do to it? The rest while operating within normal temps and normal RPMs usually is manufacturing defects where the Kevlar wrap has defects and then blows up.
The Leopard and 1717 both spun off their kevlar wraps. The TP 4050-CM 2300kv got demagnetized, they think due to heat. That was after swapping to the XLX2. Didn't have an issue with the MMX8S that I know of.

I guess I need to get out and make some hits soon. Weather is quite cold, but it can't be any worse than running foams, am I right? 😂🤦‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back