Hector_Fisher builds a SCT410.3 and stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I imagine stock are hardened steel?
I wouldn't think so. Hardened steel, though hard, is comparatively brittle and more prone to breakage instead of bending. To my mind, you'd want a bit of give in the material in a use like this. Personally, I would use something like bicycle spokes (provided they have the correct thickness of course) as they're incredibly durable while retaining some malleability and, in the case of spokes, some springiness that helps it return to its original shape a.k.a. spring steel.

Okay, so got it back together for a few runs today. Not sure why the pin ejected last time, but I'm not taking any chances. You have to think about it: very few designs out there don't have a capture pin when the wheel is on.
Screenshot_20221001-193401_Gallery.jpg

So I sorted that issues out first. I'm guessing this should hold just fine. Not like that space is used anyway!
Screenshot_20221001-193456_Gallery.jpg

The look is starting to grow on me, especially from the front as it's heading towards you at 50mph! Oh it's mean alright....
20220930_150517.jpg

20220930_144632.jpg

And drives just about as nasty as it looks. Don't even think about full throttle or you'll be doing 360s into the curb. Should have known the combo of soft suspension plus hard slick tires was going to be twitchy :LOL: I never intended for it to be super fast, but I did want some nice top end. Don't worry, I think I found it...

I'll plan to GPS it tomorrow at my speed run spot, just for kicks and giggles.

Temps are a little high, this was from 5 minutes of balls-to-the-wall full throttle back and forth on the street.
20220930_145338.jpg

Keep in mind this is a 3660 size can motor on the asphalt with wide "slicks" (107 hoons) and its currently revving to up to 53,000 rpm with no fan. I'd say not too shabby. And it cools down pretty quick afterwards. I'm a fan guy anyway so a 30mm rocket fan should do fine for now once i get around to it.

I wouldn't think so. Hardened steel, though hard, is comparatively brittle and more prone to breakage instead of bending. To my mind, you'd want a bit of give in the material in a use like this. Personally, I would use something like bicycle spokes (provided they have the correct thickness of course) as they're incredibly durable while retaining some malleability and, in the case of spokes, some springiness that helps it return to its original shape a.k.a. spring steel.
Spring steel perhaps. Either way, whatever I have on hand that fits is the correct material,LOL .
@Hector_Fisher ,what pinion size are you running? I've been running a 20t with my 2600kv on 3s..the motor barely hits 100f.
I would like to try a bigger pinion, or 4s. I'm sure 20t on 4s would wake things up.

I think spring steel would probably be the better bet. But honestly, the convenience of drill bit and having the exact right diameter is appealing. I'm sure for most purposes they would be relatively equivalent.

@KnowAir I'm using a 18t pinion on the 3200kv motor. Most definitely overkill... certainly geared high. I think I have a 16t somewhere, but couldn't find it and got lazy :LOL: and with a fan it would sort itself out. The speed is intoxicating.... :love:

When I go to the track, I'll gear down to a 14 or 16t and run on 3s.

Last edited:
Gave a few quick runs at my speed run spot with the SCT410, just for kicks and giggles. I'm running my old 8000mah 2x SMC extreme V2s. For your information:
Screenshot_20221002-134332_Gallery.jpg

Stability is okay. Body doesn't help, but its a SCT, what do you expect?

Gave a few quick runs at my speed run spot with the SCT410, just for kicks and giggles. I'm running my old 8000mah 2x SMC extreme V2s. For your information:
View attachment 247465
Stability is okay. Body doesn't help, but its a SCT, what do you expect?
Pretty respectable IMO. Can't go much faster with so much aero resistance creating havoc I'd guess..

Got some run time in with my brother yesterday. He just installed a max10 sct combo in his 4x4 rustler vxl. 4000kv 3660. He's still running stock talon or whatever tires it came with.
Not sure what he's running for a pinion(he's not either,LOL) thinking 11 or 12t.
He's all bragging on how fast it is..we were both running 3s, but my sct410.3 has 2600kv 3670 with 20t. I'm curious how big a pinion I can fit. Looks like my motor is in about center of the adjustment slots.. I guess I missed the mark with the 2600kv,LOL.
I was anticipating running 4s but haven't yet. On 3s, it's barely hitting 100f, actually 90f yesterday with 55f ambient. So plenty of untapped potential in it. He was running around 110-115.
Him crashing me off the track was pretty much the order of the day,LOL. The slash fox edition body is lookin ragged already..

Got some run time in with my brother yesterday. He just installed a max10 sct combo in his 4x4 rustler vxl. 4000kv 3660. He's still running stock talon or whatever tires it came with.
Not sure what he's running for a pinion(he's not either,LOL) thinking 11 or 12t.
He's all bragging on how fast it is..we were both running 3s, but my sct410.3 has 2600kv 3670 with 20t. I'm curious how big a pinion I can fit. Looks like my motor is in about center of the adjustment slots.. I guess I missed the mark with the 2600kv,LOL.
I was anticipating running 4s but haven't yet. On 3s, it's barely hitting 100f, actually 90f yesterday with 55f ambient. So plenty of untapped potential in it. He was running around 110-115.
Him crashing me off the track was pretty much the order of the day,LOL. The slash fox edition body is lookin ragged already..
Is he running on 3s or 2s? I liked the stock motor on my Bullet (4000kv) running on 3s, the noise was wicked! That's right up there in RPM range with my SCT's 3200kv running on 4s. I feel like there might be pinion limiting issues with the SCT. Wondering if it has to do with the LCG motor insert it comes with? When i was putting on the 18t pinion, I felt like I didn't have much farther to slide away from the spur. At the time i had figured I could maybe do a 20 or 21t pinion at most. The top screw had room to keep sliding, so I figured it was the bottom screw that was hitting and preventing me to moving out farther.

I think 2600kv was a good choice. You can always run on 4s for more speed/torque. At your temps, since you're not really taxing the motor, it shouldn't run any hotter, even if you don't change anything else. In my experience, it will probably run cooler. Less amps to get the same power out. I'll get a run on one of my larger 3s lipos this week and let you know what temps I'm seeing for a comparison (although I also have to redo temps for the 4s to get a baseline since I installed the rocket 30mm fan this weekend).

i'm thinking a 3670 or 3674 is definitely the way to go. Easier to cool (even without a fan) and smoother torque. Just gotta stop breaking stuff so I can save up! :ROFLMAO:

Is he running on 3s or 2s? I liked the stock motor on my Bullet (4000kv) running on 3s, the noise was wicked! That's right up there in RPM range with my SCT's 3200kv running on 4s. I feel like there might be pinion limiting issues with the SCT. Wondering if it has to do with the LCG motor insert it comes with? When i was putting on the 18t pinion, I felt like I didn't have much farther to slide away from the spur. At the time i had figured I could maybe do a 20 or 21t pinion at most. The top screw had room to keep sliding, so I figured it was the bottom screw that was hitting and preventing me to moving out farther.

I think 2600kv was a good choice. You can always run on 4s for more speed/torque. At your temps, since you're not really taxing the motor, it shouldn't run any hotter, even if you don't change anything else. In my experience, it will probably run cooler. Less amps to get the same power out. I'll get a run on one of my larger 3s lipos this week and let you know what temps I'm seeing for a comparison (although I also have to redo temps for the 4s to get a baseline since I installed the rocket 30mm fan this weekend).

i'm thinking a 3670 or 3674 is definitely the way to go. Easier to cool (even without a fan) and smoother torque. Just gotta stop breaking stuff so I can save up! :ROFLMAO:
Yes, we were both running 3s. He was thinking he would try 4s in the rustler, I don't think it's a good idea..that puts it at 59k rpm.. I know the 2600kv I have will scream on 4s, but now realize that the sct410 really doesn't need it..oh well, I think I'm going to get a couple 4s packs, say 4000mah to try. My 5200 2s Zeee will fit but I don't want that much weight in it TBH. Plus, as you know, the sct410 stock battery straps are too short. I just assume keep it light.
Good catch on the motor mount. I'm gauging from the top screw mount that it still has room..didn't think to look at the bottom screw,LOL. Maybe 20t is the limit with stock motor mount?
BTW, I agree, the 3670 is a perfect fit, if I were to do it over, I would choose a 3000-3200kv over the 2600..IDK. a 3674 should fit also I'm guessing.

4s on 4000kv??? Hope he likes fireworks cause get ready for the 💥🔥 LOL

If you are still sticking mostly with 3s, then i'd say even 3200kv is good. I'd like to run 4s regularly, so for now, i'm just using the 3200kv as a filler until I can save up for a 367X size motor, probably in the 2600-ish kv like you. More long term durable. That's why originally I was planning to use my 2650kv 4068 motor I had laying around.

Rustler or not, i'm jealous you have a RC mate to bash and race around with. That's half the fun. Hoping my son will still be interested when he gets a little older and can be trusted with full 3s speed for similar types of racing/bashing.

I think that 4000mah 4s is a great size. Roughly equivalent to a 5000-6000mah 3s lipo. My two 8000 mah SMC's are basically as heavy as my 4000mah 6s pack. So they are way too heavy, much like you mentioned with your 2s zee packs. And the rear springs on the SCT are super soft, so when the truck is fully loaded, it sit's pretty low. I've had to crank down the rear preload just to compensate the ride height. I'll eventually pick up some 4s packs as well. Right now the two 8000's are fine for road bashing, where the weight kind of helps it slight a little better. I'll probably switch to 3s packs for off-road bashing though.

First on the docket is buggy tires for bashing. I know i posted this on your build thread, but for the price i'm definitely considering these:
https://www.amazon.com/Duratrax-SpeedTreads-Trigger-Mounted-DTXC2972/dp/B07NSM79GW/
https://www.amazon.com/Duratrax-Lockup-Inserts-Compound-Mounted/dp/B004QJVFSM/

Fireworks, HaHa..that's what I'm trying to tell him..the rustler is the only 1/10 he has, well, 3 rustlers and abandit xl5 actually..my only 1/10(running) is the sct410. I do have the hoss, but in pieces atm.
I gotta invest in batteries. My 2 year old zeee are staritng to puff and crap out.. I've always ran batteries in packs of 2 for versatility since I have 3,4,5,6 and 8s rigs. I run the mojave on 5s, just the sweet spot for me.
He has a crap ton of 1/8 rigs, as do I, but it's fun to run 1/10 from time to time. So much more challenging to get around the track since it's pretty rough..
I think those Duratrax should serve you well..they have for my brother and I. Hard to beat for the price.

Fireworks, HaHa..that's what I'm trying to tell him..the rustler is the only 1/10 he has, well, 3 rustlers and abandit xl5 actually..my only 1/10(running) is the sct410. I do have the hoss, but in pieces atm.
I gotta invest in batteries. My 2 year old zeee are staritng to puff and crap out.. I've always ran batteries in packs of 2 for versatility since I have 3,4,5,6 and 8s rigs. I run the mojave on 5s, just the sweet spot for me.
He has a crap ton of 1/8 rigs, as do I, but it's fun to run 1/10 from time to time. So much more challenging to get around the track since it's pretty rough..
I think those Duratrax should serve you well..they have for my brother and I. Hard to beat for the price.
Good to know the duratrax are utter duratrash :LOL:

I'm with you, 1/8 scale is definitely more appealing. Easier to drive anywhere, fewer restrictions. The Kaiju is the perfect size "1/10" scale IMO ;)

I hear what you're saying about the 1/10 rigs, they are definitely more challenging in the rougher terrain, and thats what makes it fun. I probably wouldn't take the SCT to my usually jumping bash spot, but that's also cause it can get boring to do the same jumps over and over. I'm slowly killing the grass in the park next to our bashing spot with the kraton by "mowing" around, if you will! Hoping that eventually it's low enough to have a pseudo track for the SCT. Actually I feel like that's a decent thread starter: "How to build a race track."

Good to know the duratrax are utter duratrash :LOL:

I'm with you, 1/8 scale is definitely more appealing. Easier to drive anywhere, fewer restrictions. The Kaiju is the perfect size "1/10" scale IMO ;)

I hear what you're saying about the 1/10 rigs, they are definitely more challenging in the rougher terrain, and thats what makes it fun. I probably wouldn't take the SCT to my usually jumping bash spot, but that's also cause it can get boring to do the same jumps over and over. I'm slowly killing the grass in the park next to our bashing spot with the kraton by "mowing" around, if you will! Hoping that eventually it's low enough to have a pseudo track for the SCT. Actually I feel like that's a decent thread starter: "How to build a race track."
HaHa, that's how my track got started, just ripping it up in the woods with a couple 1/8 scales, then started raking,cutting, digging..leaves,trees,stumps,rocks..this process has been ongoing for nearly 3 years! Cut,dig,repeat,LOL
I actually have a 6" steel I beam thats about 5 foot long that I chain to the back of my riding lawnmower and drag the track in the spring when everything is soft and squishy..can't tell you how many times Ive gotten the mower stuck in the mud! Or how many drive belts I've burned up,LOL. I've bypassed all the safety switches on the mower so I can push it out of the mud by myself!!🤔🙄😮😃
Once the track gets dry, it's like concrete, can't smooth it with anything I own.
The Xmaxx's did alot to smooth things out too actually. It's a work in progress for sure. My biggest issue is large old growth trees that block your vision when ripping around the track. Lots of blind spots,LOL.

@KnowAir Unfortunately, i don't have any big land of my own to make a private track on, and I probably wouldn't be able to get away with driving a mower in a public park :ROFLMAO: I've thought about whether it'd be ethical for me to use some groundclear or gasoline to clear out a section of the thicker grass... :unsure: No one uses that spot anyway!

The ballsiest we've ever been was using my buddies chainsaw at the park to chop up some dead wood for use on the tops of jumps at our bashing place. Can't imagine what people thought when they heard a chainsaw revving at the park :LOL: We're always on the hunt to find a way to get the jumps to stay in place. Lots of kids use it throughout the week, and the dirt/sand in the area is super silty and soft, so the jumps don't stay together very long during the summer with no rain. Come the rainy fall/winter it holds together, but then you don't really want to be out in the rain as much anyway...

I'm thinking i just need to keep putting packs in on my kraton at the "grass" track for now, keep tearing up the grass and roots. Maybe come in one early morning with my trimmer to... erm... clear things out a bit???

I think you're right, a good track is really what I need for the SCT.

Last edited:
@KnowAir Unfortunately, i don't have any big land of my own to make a private track on, and I probably wouldn't be able to get away with driving a mower in a public park :ROFLMAO: I've thought about whether it'd be ethical for me to use some groundclear or gasoline to clear out a section of the thicker grass... :unsure: No one uses that spot anyway!

The ballsiest we've ever been was using my buddies chainsaw at the park to chop up some dead wood for use on the tops of jumps at our bashing place. Can't imagine what people thought when they heard a chainsaw revving at the park :LOL: We're always on the hunt to find a way to get the jumps to stay in place. Lots of kids use it throughout the week, and the dirt/sand in the area is super silty and soft, so the jumps don't stay together very long during the summer with no rain. Come the rainy fall/winter it holds together, but then you don't really want to be out in the rain as much anyway...

I'm thinking i just need to keep putting packs in on my kraton at the "grass" track for now, keep tearing up the grass and roots. Maybe come in one early morning with my trimmer to... erm... clear things out a bit???

I think you're right, a good track is really what I need for the SCT.
Yeah, don't go trying to change the landscape of a public park..I think that would be frowned upon,LOL.
I'm blessed for sure to have what I do. Wouldn't change it for nothing!
I'm content to run my one man races, always winning,LOL. Life's tough at the top🤔🤣🤣
The sct's are indeed a different rig that needs the right terrain to really enjoy, but worth it IMO.
I gotta try to get the Mojave dialed..it's tough cuz it's so big and heavy. She needs a rehab, one of my older rigs that I actually still run.

Yeah, don't go trying to change the landscape of a public park..I think that would be frowned upon,LOL.
I'm blessed for sure to have what I do. Wouldn't change it for nothing!
I'm content to run my one man races, always winning,LOL. Life's tough at the top🤔🤣🤣
The sct's are indeed a different rig that needs the right terrain to really enjoy, but worth it IMO.
I gotta try to get the Mojave dialed..it's tough cuz it's so big and heavy. She needs a rehab, one of my older rigs that I actually still run.
I'm fine with a one man race, at least if it was at my own house. Out in the park if I'm by myself I start to feel like weirdo. Not sure why, but it almost like I'm giving off that "creepy male" vibe. luckily I take my son with me most of the time, and he's young so he doesn't have a choice!!! :LOL:

Maybe one of these days we'll get some land. Gotta kind go out in the sticks, but i'm fine with that. And my wife wants room to train her dog(s). Though, this is WA, so like you, most of the undeveloped land is gonna be TRREEEEEEESSS. Old, rotten, leaning, close to falling, and the occasional sturdy one. And then thick brush on the ground.

I'm fine with a one man race, at least if it was at my own house. Out in the park if I'm by myself I start to feel like weirdo. Not sure why, but it almost like I'm giving off that "creepy male" vibe. luckily I take my son with me most of the time, and he's young so he doesn't have a choice!!! :LOL:

Maybe one of these days we'll get some land. Gotta kind go out in the sticks, but i'm fine with that. And my wife wants room to train her dog(s). Though, this is WA, so like you, most of the undeveloped land is gonna be TRREEEEEEESSS. Old, rotten, leaning, close to falling, and the occasional sturdy one. And then thick brush on the ground.
The creepy male vibe,Haha! Yeah, I've been that guy at the park, school, cemetery (unoccupied plots of course,but in the back of). Running rc's all by myself🙄🤔😉
I'm rural, but not too much so. We have a gas station and Dollar General a couple miles down the road. Took me till 40 to get here though,so hang in there, you can have it if you want it!!👍😉🍻

The creepy male vibe,Haha! Yeah, I've been that guy at the park, school, cemetery (unoccupied plots of course,but in the back of). Running rc's all by myself🙄🤔😉
I'm rural, but not too much so. We have a gas station and Dollar General a couple miles down the road. Took me till 40 to get here though,so hang in there, you can have it if you want it!!👍😉🍻
Having my (young) son there with me has saved me from many awkward conversations and piercing looks. I've gone by myself every now and then and it's just not the same treatment!

Did you change up diff fluids when you built the SCT? I put a dab of 30k in the center diff when I as assembled it, so I'm assuming it's probably around 10k. I'm thinking I could have went heavier too, especially driving on asphalt like i have been doing. I see rears spinning alot when doing tight turns and getting on the throttle.

Having my (young) son there with me has saved me from many awkward conversations and piercing looks. I've gone by myself every now and then and it's just not the same treatment!

Did you change up diff fluids when you built the SCT? I put a dab of 30k in the center diff when I as assembled it, so I'm assuming it's probably around 10k. I'm thinking I could have went heavier too, especially driving on asphalt like i have been doing. I see rears spinning alot when doing tight turns and getting on the throttle.
We have girls, they never had much interest in rc's. I bought a couple Redcats back in the day for them. Maybe it was a blessing they didn't take to it cuz those Redcats ended up being broke rather easily, LOL.
Apparently great minds do think alike.. I put 10k in my sct410.3 center diff as well, then thought maybe I should've went thicker! LOL 🍻

We have girls, they never had much interest in rc's. I bought a couple Redcats back in the day for them. Maybe it was a blessing they didn't take to it cuz those Redcats ended up being broke rather easily, LOL.
Apparently great minds do think alike.. I put 10k in my sct410.3 center diff as well, then thought maybe I should've went thicker! LOL 🍻
I think i'd like to try 15/20/10 for diff fluids. One of these days i'll get around to adding a few more dabs of 30k in each diff to stiffen them up. TBH though, tearing diffs apart is probably my LEAST favorite thing to do... so it will probably be a while.

Bunch of people complained about how soft the SCT rear springs were. I haven't really gone off road, so i can't comment. Any complaints from your end?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back