Im new! Looking for tuning advice on my FS Racing DR8 V2 Desert Racer from basherqueen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fra1ler

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I’m brand new to the hobby. I had some cheap stuff back in the day but that was at least 20 years ago. I’m in my mid 30s and the goal was to get a hobby that I could enjoy for a long time, with my whole family, my dad, brothers, kids etc. and so far it’s been great for that, my wife seems to like it too, which I didn’t anticipate.

Usually when I get into a hobby I go hard haha. This is mild for me so far. My 2 brothers and me got my dad a notorious 6s for Father’s Day, a 5000mah spektrum g2 battery, and we got 2 of the smart chargers (can’t remember the name but it’s not the newest and can charge 2 batteries at once).

I wasn’t sure what I wanted but I loved the look of this DR8 I kept seeing on YouTube channels that I had recently followed as I was researching. I saw one of them post that basherqueen was bringing the v2 to the US. I found them on eBay and was watching them for about a week. Picked one up on the second price drop. $399 shipped.

All I have to compare This to is my dad’s notorious and a couple small ones my brother bought (a 1/14 team associated buggy, and the zd db8 10. He’s into stuff like I am and he’s a diesel tech so he better at working on stuff than me for sure). This thing is soo much fun! Swapped to the Mojave tires (I like them but the offset makes me lose about 1” in track width from the stock offset, tires are the same size) Second pack I blew a capacitor in the ESC, that seems to have been a fluke. Basherqueen sent a replacement esc. I installed it and it’s been solid for about 1/2 dozen packs. I also put in a better servo, can’t remember what I got exactly but it was a middle of the road 29kg the local shop had, it’s a big upgrade.

Ran a couple packs then then the next day I was jumping it HARD. Bent my rear shock tower. I knew this was going to happen based on my research. I already plan to get some parts from customrcupgrades, I’m going to to get his chassis braces, top steering plate (mainly because it looks like it gives the servo arm more room to throw), 10mm spacers (eventually basherqueen is bringing the long arm kits, she said this month so I may eventually do that) and the titanium shock towers when they re-stock. That should make it solid. Will eventually get his chassis and the other pin holders etc.

I got a truck that was a bit cheaper because I planned to do all the work and maintenance, definitely wanted to learn, and so far it hasn’t been bad, and I’ve really enjoyed that aspect also. My main questions are about tuning. When I first ran it the stock tires were ballooning bad, I assumed the tires were cheap, and they probably are which is why I got the mojave tires. They are definitely an Upgrade especially for grass, but the local shop said the diffs feel wide open, so I now think that was the main issue there. also the chassis was slapping pretty hard when I was jumping. I think I have the ride height adjusted to a good spot, adjusted so I have as much droop as I can get.

When I rebuild I’m planning on filling the diffs. I had originally thought 30-100-30 which is close to stock and that’s what I bought, but now I’m thinking more like 30-100-20 or 50-200-30. I don’t care if it ever wheelies I like a bit more control, but I do run it exclusively on 6s so I want to make sure everything has what it needs to hold up. It’s a basher but the handling is the part of it I love so I don't want to go crazy.

The shocks also need heavier oil at least. Maybe springs and I’d like to do different pistons. I thought I would do an emulsion setup but tuning that may be a huge pain and I just want to get it running well for what I’m doing before I fine tune. Was thinking the pistons from m2c I think the shocks are standard 1/8 size. If emulsion is better then I’m not opposed to taking that on. I’d replace the shocks all together if I could get the results I want unless rebuilding is just as good. The parts on this seem to be quality. I like this thing enough to keep it around so I want to build it so that I can do what I want with it. I also got the hobbywing OTA so I can mess with some of that stuff. ESC is supposedly hobbywing so we’ll see.

Not sure if this is the place to post this, and I also know i rambled a ton haha. I’ve been watching everything I can, reading everything I can, so I thought it was a good time to solicit some specific advice. I also have a Losi DB pro on layaway I can’t wait to pickup, hoping it just needs a servi! I’m in the hobby deep now, no turning back. After that I want to build a full kit.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Ranch!

You've definitely came to the right place.
Plenty of quality info on this forum.
I don't own the FS Racing DR8 v2 so I'll let other members answer your questions regarding its tuning.

Glad to have you aboard.
You're going to have a great time around here.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Ranch!

You've definitely came to the right place.
Plenty of quality info on this forum.
I don't FS Racing DR8 v2 so I'll let other members answer your questions regarding its tuning.

Glad to have you aboard.
You're going to have a great time around here.
Thanks! I’ve already been lurking quite a bit haha.
70896608656__652D0F03-B161-46A3-B020-67162F07B549.jpeg
70898521185__025C7B71-ED4B-4018-8597-A7F81D7CA9A3.jpeg
IMG_5060.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!!!
Never heard of fsr
Very cool looking rc looks like a rock racer. I like the exposed frame tubes and graphics.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back