Notorious Issues with diffs possibly. Video in thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too be honest I was thinking that but don’t want to admit it ?. With the motor pinion off its smooth. Each wheel spins freely and doesn’t make any noise (outside the norm).

Well, don’t think it’s the motor. Took the pinion off again and powered up the motor. Runs smooth and quiet.

Last edited:
I knew you lost drive because a diff input cup was loose, but it's clear as I said before that you have an issue with the rear diff. When you span it in the video it's making a hell of a racket. Pull and push at the rear input cup. Does it have any play there?

Take the rear bulkhead off and fully rebuild it. Check the bulkhead housing for any hairline cracks and the bearings for any tolerances. When fitting the bearings back in, double check that they're fully home

Make sure there's no play between the input cup and the input gear by squeezing them together before tightening the grub screw - not too tight, or you'll bind the bearings. Then adjust the gear mesh with shims. I check the mesh whilst holding the bulkhead in my hands and rocking the ring gear through the gap underneath whilst holding the input cup. Fitting the diff cover back on properly matters as well or the diff won't be held in securely

Don't run the car until you've rebuilt the rear or you're going to strip the gears. Take pics of the gear teeth so we can advise ?

I knew you lost drive because a diff input cup was loose, but it's clear as I said before that you have an issue with the rear diff. When you span it in the video it's making a hell of a racket. Pull and push at the rear input cup. Does it have any play there?

Take the rear bulkhead off and fully rebuild it. Check the bulkhead housing for any hairline cracks and the bearings for any tolerances. When fitting the bearings back in, double check that they're fully home

Make sure there's no play between the input cup and the input gear by squeezing them together before tightening the grub screw - not too tight, or you'll bind the bearings. Then adjust the gear mesh with shims. I check the mesh whilst holding the bulkhead in my hands and rocking the ring gear through the gap underneath whilst holding the input cup. Fitting the diff cover back on properly matters as well or the diff won't be held in securely

Don't run the car until you've rebuilt the rear or you're going to strip the gears. Take pics of the gear teeth so we can advise ?
No I said before there is no play with the input cups. Front or rear. I have torn the truck down and checked every single screw.

I will take the rest apart again and try what you said. I’m so tired of taking this apart and normally I love to tinker. When I broke down the front and rear bulks/diffs/cups there was no play within any of them. When I say no I mean there was the every slightest bit but I suppose there would be zero movement by design I would think?

I am kind of back to thinking the motor again. Only reason being is because it doesn’t make a noise at all now unless under battery power. Is the motor shaft supposed to spin freely or have resistance? Mine has resistance

Last edited:
Just fyi my last diff "clicking badly" I replaced didn't show any wear but I found some small tiny metal pieces in the grease after major inspection. Took a chance and bought a whole new diff and gearbox case. Smooth sailing now. Also it got me into the EXB diff era they have more beveling on the gears over stock.

I bust diffs from time to time anyway so I knew I'd use it eventually. :)

Ok think it has been solved. Hopefully LHS has one in stock. Thinking the teeth on the front diff gear are causing the issue. The teeth are rounded over and shinny.

5687803C-B542-448C-971A-582E8C020844.jpeg

7D2B624B-3C0F-472A-A44E-E69F596983C5.jpeg

Hh sent me two for warranty i waited over two months. Came last week but my input gear is still backordered. I went ahead and bought one. Ar310498. Pull i already had the shims but mine took two behind the inner input bearing and two on the ring gear side.

Planned to contact them as well. Heard it was a two month wait but didn’t want to wait that long ?. Figured if anything if they sent me new ones they could be backups.

I do need to watch some videos on shimming. I have never done it before so I’m not entirely sure what is acceptable play.

I’m assuming the ARA310957 diff is the one that comes factory? There are two diffs listed under standard parts on the Arrma site

Last edited:
I would also go head and get sum diff oil, none of my diffs were full. I got sum 500k. Thats what i put in the center. I reused the 10k oil and topped them off with 500k. More in front than rear. Prob around 150 rear, 250 front. doesn't steer under power very well but let off throttle steers fine. Im 10 packs into my diffs since new ones and shimmed and no probs. Iv even hammered down during a few cartwheels to get it back on its feet. Im running the 12t pinion because 16t and 17t are too much for my driving style. 14t is where i need to be at. Will order one soon.

Ok, the gear worked and fixed the issue. That’s the only part they had in stock. Might still look into upgrading at some point. Thank you all for your help!!

I did get some diff oil. 40k is all they had. I’ll order some for the rear and center now.

Very nice TriggerHappy. I’m in the process of looking at diff shimming as I’m not familiar with it.

Strictly bashing I think 40k front, 500-1mil center and 30k rear would be enough. If not y’all please correct me

I ordered stronger exb ones,just make sure its 10/43 ring an pin in diff.ill check,change fluid,check shimming an install..kraton, outcast, notorious,talion,mojave are all same diffs.
Dang, that’s not a bad deal. Would it be worth it to order one or two of these as spares, upgrade current or build upgraded diffs and keep my stocks as spares?

Well when these come back into stock.
Pending on setup,driving style,etc. Its cheaper to get jennyrc diff.just ring gear is 20$

Definitely go EXB next time, no reason not to. FYI the GP4 gears input/ring are much more beveled. I will say this I've never swapped a ring gear without swapping the pinion/input gear. Its always messed up minorly or majorly. But definitely go GP4 gearing it makes a huge diff. lol. PUN INTENTED

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back