Notorious Issues with diffs possibly. Video in thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had it apart already, and didnt wanna get back into it later. I have ran it for 2 weekends now.

lol lord knows I got good stock cups and spiders all over from blowing input/ring gears before I did the exb diff update.

Yeah it’s been a nightmare looking for some. All LHS did have 20k. Might go back and get it. Can’t find 50-60k anywhere

As I say that. This pops up on amazon. Think it’s worth a shot since I can’t find any 50-60k anywhere.

View attachment 116354
That's close enough. I know its hard to get Associated oil What I try for.. All on B/O. 50fr-500cntr.-30 rear. Close as you can get. Fine IMHO.
Traxxas will do for 500k. I have that. Expensive for the quantity you get though. But you need it.
When Associated comes back in stock, I usually get extra on hand. Shock oil also. You just need Silicone oil in your tool box. Part of RC hobby rigs with these diffs and all.
Anything is possible with a little redneck engineering ?
Tekno offers a CF diff top plate that mounts to a fan. More for the motor. For their rigs.

It's definitely skipping. If your diffs are all ok, one of your diff input cups could be loose
Sometimes the input bearings get so sloppy and worn and the input gear skips teeth. Happens under load not always apparent on the bench. All the shimming you can throw at it wont help worn bearings.

Yeah I wouldn’t think bearings would be the issue. But I did check them as I’ve had them explode before in the past on other RCs. I do plan to swap all bearings out at some point with a fast eddy bearing kit.

I had my OE input bearings and a few FastEddy bearings brick ( worn with radial slop) rather fast and caused input gear slippage myself. I thought it was a shim issue also and beat myself up trying to shim well enough. Changed out the bearings and all was good. My TRBRC bearings are holding up fine.
Just my experience with them. ?‍♂️

Good to know @SrC. I’ll add them to the list to try out.

LHS had the 46t center diff in stock. So I grabbed one of them. Checked the fluid before installing and it looked good. Right at the cross pins. I’ll take it out tomorrow, hopefully, and see how it goes.

Still want to pick up some shim kits for the future. If I have any issues with the front/rear I’ll upgrade to the EXB.

This has never happened to me. I’m lost. Replaced center diff, front diff spur gear, front pinion, serviced the rear diff (no visible wear).

Truck is still making that awful noise. I’m throwing in the towel at the moment. I’m defeated on this one. I literally am out of ideas on what it could be.

It’s 100% something in the front diff. I can hear it.

so I’m thinking the front diff just needs to be shimmed. Should I ordered all of these shim kits or some of them?

I know the shim on the outside of the diff is trashed now. So I definitely need it.

8374E76A-7E4D-4C23-ADFC-533545763077.png

so I’m thinking the front diff just needs to be shimmed. Should I ordered all of these shim kits or some of them?

I know the shim on the outside of the diff is trashed now. So I definitely need it.

View attachment 117047
As long as any of them are 16mm in outer diameter ? they're usually 13x16. Feel free to get different thicknesses, i.e. x0.1mm or x0.2mm

Last edited:
If you catch the edge of the shim on the out drive that sits in the housing when you put the cover on, the cover won’t tighten down properly and your diff will move under power and the pinion will slip on the ring. Push the shims in with a hex driver or a flat head screwdriver when you fit the case and be sure those shims sit inside the edge of the cover.

^^^This. ?
A common thing to happen. Especially when you want those shims nice and snug, They are easily crushed or pinched and then your diff will shift. Sometimes hard to know or see this as you install the bulkhead cover. Installing shims with the diff is a crucial step. Shims get damaged so easily. This part of assy. pay special attention to.
Can't rush this.

I racked my brain shimming and thinking it was all gear mesh, in the end one stock shim as done from the factory, then the HR aluminum back gearbox cover "no need to buy the whole gearbox aluminum" and an exb open diff. I have tortured it since, the old setup would have failed a few batteries ago.

Everyone's experiences are different, this is mine.

Great advice. I did notice pretty quickly that the shim can get pinched. Of course this happened to me and why I know it was damaged lol. I am placing an order tonight for some various shims, fluids and other various items. And ordering multiples. I do not like having to wait for items. Really hope this will fix the issue I am missing all the bashing I am not doing.

Happy New Year everyone!!

Got the truck torn down for cleaning and hopefully shimming the diffs correctly the first time 😂. Parts should be here Saturday at the latest.

9E862213-35D5-455B-A869-E2E998C0AA05.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back