Notorious Issues with diffs possibly. Video in thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome thank you both. If and when these diffs break I’ll go with the EXB ones. Really wanted to get back running since I’ll have time this week. And now I know for sure what the issue was.

Mine comes in mail tomorrow .big tires destroy diffs. Essentially rears,the most.ive read the limited slip ones are having problems

Screenshot_20201227-172555_Chrome.jpg

If ya run big tires. ( backflips).ya gonna be working on diffs
If ya run big tires. ( backflips).ya gonna be working on diffs

Last edited:
If these diffs are the same why the difference in price? May just buy these now and keep the stocks for spares.

E1411EAE-CC7D-48FC-8C8A-99304FC44174.jpeg

If these diffs are the same why the difference in price? May just buy these now and keep the stocks for spares.

View attachment 116195
Front one is limited slip different, arrma just came out with these from what I've read the plates have issues. So I would stick with the open diff. Go to search threads and there's alot more info. If you need anymore.

Front one is limited slip different, arrma just came out with these from what I've read the plates have issues. So I would stick with the open diff. Go to search threads and there's alot more info. If you need anymore.
Got ya. I figured seeing the limited slip but wasn’t sure. May pick up a set of the rears soon

Well, thought everything was good to go after fixing the front diff.

Not the case as today the center diff gave up. And gave up with style. Not even halfway through the battery and it started to smoke. Thank goodness for the clear body I haven’t painted yet. Took the battery out as I thought it might be electrical. Turns out it wasn’t. How in the world does that even happen...

DAD6F63C-E3FF-4436-B427-82EF41E7CF0B.jpeg

D148A621-B4BC-4716-B2A7-62D7CBB7DF2E.jpeg

2C02CC5D-E836-4920-8ED4-191AEA39AEC6.jpeg

Well, thought everything was good to go after fixing the front diff.

Not the case as today the center diff gave up. And gave up with style. Not even halfway through the battery and it started to smoke. Thank goodness for the clear body I haven’t painted yet. Took the battery out as I thought it might be electrical. Turns out it wasn’t. How in the world does that even happen...

View attachment 116324

View attachment 116325

View attachment 116326
This is most commonly caused by running diffs that are underfilled with oil ? at least now you can upgrade to a metal diff cup ?

This is most commonly caused by running diffs that are underfilled with oil ? at least now you can upgrade to a metal diff cup ?
Well dang. Thought there was enough but guess not. You are correct about upgrading.

Should I buy new internal gears and metal housing? Or upgrade to the EXB diff? I would like to get it done correctly the first time ?
If I’m going to do it might as well do it right
?

I’m not an expert but rear diff looks good to me. What do y’all think? All gears have teeth and no broken pins.

View attachment 115544
Ring gear is slipping. BTW don't put heavier oil in the rear. 50k/60F is ok at the front. But 1/2 that weight in the rear is better.(20-30k) You will lose Steering with much heavier oil in the rear. 300k-500k best in the center.... all this for a V4/5 diff. Not the EXB diffs.

Ring gear is slipping. BTW don't put heavier oil in the rear. 50k/60F is ok at the front. But 1/2 that weight in the rear is better.(20-30k) You will lose Steering with much heavier oil in the rear. 300k-500k best in the center.... all this for a V4/5 diff. Not the EXB diffs.
That’s good information. Thank you. I did top off the rear with 40k that I had. Need to order some new diff oil and plan to buy the teckno and mugen shim kits.

^^^ Yeah the front wheels need a bit less diff action( firmer/thicker oil ) than the rear. I found that with bashers this especially true, The 1/2 rule ratio works for me. Others usually also.
Rear diff action (looser) by 1/2 (weight) of the front is always going to give you more balanced Steering overall.

You need 50-6ok Fr, 300-500k C and 20-30k Rr oil on hand. Or close to those weights at least. Oil can be hard to source. Especially the thicker stuff. It will drive so much better and feel alive. Less ballooning.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s been a nightmare looking for some. All LHS did have 20k. Might go back and get it. Can’t find 50-60k anywhere

As I say that. This pops up on amazon. Think it’s worth a shot since I can’t find any 50-60k anywhere.

98EB622C-BAE0-4B8E-BDE5-436BC310753F.jpeg

Yeah it’s been a nightmare looking for some. All LHS did have 20k. Might go back and get it. Can’t find 50-60k anywhere
If needs be, you can mix thicker oils with thinner oils to get a mixture of the two ?

Let's say you only have 100k and 20k at hand. You can fill of the diff cup with 100k to around the 75% mark, then fill the rest with the 20k. It'll give you the equivalent of around 60-70k ?

If this is the case for you, check out this handy table! It calculates it for you once you fill the table in:

https://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Mixtures.html

Screenshot_20201228-222538.png

If needs be, you can mix thicker oils with thinner oils to get a mixture of the two ?

Let's say you only have 100k and 20k at hand. You can fill of the diff cup with 100k to around the 75% mark, then fill the rest with the 20k. It'll give you the equivalent of around 60-70k ?

If this is the case for you, check out this handy table! It calculates it for you once you fill the table in:

https://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Mixtures.html

View attachment 116355
I didnt get this technical as i only had 500 and 10k but i mixed the two it worked ?

Well I have 40k in the front and rear currently. That’s the highest the LHS had at the time. They do have 20k so I might run and get that tomorrow for the rear. They don’t have anything close to 200-300k. Guess I’ll have to order that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back