Mojave Learning with the Mojave EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Update: Proline Trencher LPs!​

View attachment 246683

After seeing several others get these, I decided to follow suit. These are AMAZING. Wheelies on grass and the gravel! Run time dropped a bit and the heat went up a little, but I could gear down to my 23t from my 27t if I wanted.

I did not get the 0-offset aluminum hubs. Those will cost me $70/pair, which is the same price as the wheels and tires. I'm going to see if I really need them or not with how I drive, and how my suspension has been setup. Aside from a light trim on the body (see pic above), I'm not yet certain more trimming or the offsets would be needed. Plus, I like the wider stance since it improves handling.

I went through 3 packs yesterday while testing and having fun and saw no cutting in my tires from the body or vice versa.
BTW beautiful picture!!

A ’monster’ Mojave sure looks good. Here the Mojave with Louise Pioneer MT 1/2” offset tires for the Maxx with (yeah I know😉). Diameter and weight is similar as stock tires.
Maybe I should try them again with stiffer springs for the Mojave🤔?
527411D6-416E-4221-8D42-304D204B31E7.jpeg

Update: Okay, I'm done with the LSDs.​

First, I couldn't get a spur gear for my center LSD (except for a harder-to-get 44t from Vitavon) because the screws are different spacing than the RTR open diff. Now my front diff randomly locked up. I thought a spider gear broke, but after opening the diff, nothing is wrong with any of my gears! Everything was fine.

I decided to call it quits on the LSDs (as many others have, I've read). So I picked up the shim kit and swapped out the LSD plates. Easy to do, and straightforward.

b3d51ae9-7c71-4185-9b25-04bc0eaac0d6.jpg

20220927_142819.jpg

20220927_142838.jpg

So now my Mojave has all open diffs. 50k front, 30k rear, 200k centre. Works very well with the new Trencher LPs. The handling is how I like it.

I've had a similar experience with the front diff in my Mojave..started binding,tore it down but couldn't find anything wrong visually. Put it back together with fresh fluid,worked fine in the hand so I put it back in the truck..no bueno.. think I'm over the lsd diffs too.
I have many other 1/8 scale rigs that have more run time with no maintenance and they still work fine. IMO the whole lsd thing is just gimmicky.

So, I ordered up 2 of the lsd delete kits last night. One each for the Kraton and Mojave. I'll start with the Mojave since that's where Im having issues ATM. The kraton diffs are actually still pretty smooth..too smooth as they're probably empty, not sure. I've never opened them.
These lsd diffs have too many pieces and wearables for my liking, I'm with @SrC I'd prefer to keep it simple and tune with fluid weights.👌🍻

To me, the main advantage of using the LSD diffs ( all 3 shimmed "Open") is that the Input and Main gears are very stout. Much stronger than the RTR standard open diffs. You can't go wrong with LSD's for this reason alone.

To me, the main advantage of using the LSD diffs ( all 3 shimmed "Open") is that the Input and Main gears are very stout. Much stronger than the RTR standard open diffs. You can't go wrong with LSD's for this reason alone.
I believe that, I'll keep them for sure, but now they'll be open. The front on my mojave just locked..I'm sure I can fix with new star washers or whatever but, nah.

Update: Another Mojave!​

20221009_122406.jpg
20221009_115403.jpg

I put an ad up to sell or trade my Vorteks, Senton, and a torn-apart Typhon MEGA. After a few weeks someone reached out and was willing to trade his Mojave RTR with some extra parts/spares.

Some might thing he got the better value, some may think vice versa. He and I both walked away happy and kept in touch too!

For now this will be a secondary Mojave for if and when my EXB breaks while out with friends. After this winter I might make this one into a street Mojave, or keep it somewhat stock and floaty for speeding over rough terrain like a real desert truck.

Made my own "Top Tubz"​

The Scorched Fenders are amazing and work great on my EXB, but they're pricy and hover around $85 Canadian shipped.

I saw someone makes Top Tubz, and it looked quite easy to replicate, so long as I could find a container that was the right size. And I found one at Dollarama.

20221011_163657.jpg

20221011_170925.jpg

20221011_181037.jpg

20221011_181456.jpg

20221012_110839.jpg

This this will go in my other Mojave RTR that doesn't have fenders. I'll keep an eye on the heat to make sure it isn't trapping much in there. But it's Fall here, hovering around 8C, and snow is around the corner. So it should be just fine. 🙂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back