Granite Shocks replacement upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have also read that the people are using the stock Arrma Typhon shocks as a drop in replacement for the Granite shocks, is that right? And if so then what about the Nero or Fazon stock shocks
The Typhon shocks are a direct replacement as well, but I can get 3 sets of the HSP shocks for the price of one set of Typhon shocks. Plus the HSP shocks hold up just as well. The shocks for the nero fit the front for the 4x4s but the springs are way too thick. I did use a nero shock as a replacement for a Typhon front shock when I wrecked one while racing. I just used the Typhon spring.

I really do understand that this hobby entails fixes, upgrades, replacements, and jimmy rigging solutions... and i do enjoy that aspect. I guess the reason I'm frustrated with this truck is because I "THOUGHT" I did enough research with reviews to believe that this was a great vehicle for a child with easy maintenance and durability in its STOCK form. I bought this for my 7 year old son to drive, in hopes that it would be an easy/reliable truck. I just wish I found out about these issues before I bought it. After doing these essential upgrades/fixes it pushes the price close to the $500 mark just to make it functional. If i knew this, I would have been looking into an outcast to run on 2s for him.

Povell42, you could always buy a cheap Subotech BG1518 for your 7year old, thats what I started out mine on when she was 6, they are ready to run out of the box and if you live overseas the parts are available easily. My stock one did 27mph out of the box even though it says 35kph. They are pretty impressive and easy to work on in my opinion, 4wd, steel drive shaft and axles, The only downside is they come with a Li-Ion battery but they will last about 20 minutes. And the vehicle can handle a 2s battery I found one on Aliexpress for $15 and now I get 37mph out of it. The stock LI-Ion batteries are easy to find to. Hope this info helps. Subotech has a whole line of BG cars and a lot of the parts are interchangable for them.

Here is a link to the Subotech BG1518 RC CAR:
https://www.banggood.com/SUBOTECH-B...E5ghQomxoCS4oQAvD_BwE&ID=228&cur_warehouse=CN

Link to bigger battery:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc...652.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6c8e4c4dbAAaWn
322b7329-8878-4036-9ccb-9ea909d9e630.jpg

You misunderstood me a bit. I said that the info listed for the ebay shock is wrong. The listed info said that the 'Shock Body OD' is 23mm when it's actually 18mm. They measured the spring diameter instead of the shock body diameter. All the other listed info is correct. The cars can easily use the 20mm Typhon v3 shocks or the 19mm Typhon v2 shocks.

Well, you were right. Those shocks from Amazon are complete garbage. There was oil all over the inside of the pack when I opened them. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and wiped them off and re filled them with oil, guess what they leaked even with Teflon tape lol and the only resistance they have is the tiny spring, the stock Arrma shocks even leaking oil work better then these do.

Horizon Hobby sent me replacement pieces to rebuild the 2 OEM shocks but I cant get those to stop leaking either, I sent another email back to them asking for SHOCKS this time not parts.

You misunderstood me a bit. I said that the info listed for the ebay shock is wrong. The listed info said that the 'Shock Body OD' is 23mm when it's actually 18mm. They measured the spring diameter instead of the shock body diameter. All the other listed info is correct. The cars can easily use the 20mm Typhon v3 shocks or the 19mm Typhon v2 shocks.

The parts Horizon Hobby sent did not fix the stock shock issue, they still leak one just leaks slower then the other. So when I go into the hobby shop or look online for the Typhon shocks do I get the ones for the Typhon 3s or 6s model? Or are they both the same

I've been looking at the shocks from the mega & the blx Granite & everything visually about them seems to be the same but the spring is stiffer on the blx & the perch is obviously stronger on the blx. I totaled 2 of the shocks on my mega in the first run with minimal jumping while I haven't wrecked anything on the blx yet & I have taken the thing to task. I had 3 leaking shocks on my Senton blx but none on my Granite & Typhon. All 3 Senton shocks had cross threaded shock bodies where the lower cap screws into the body. It probably happened from assembling it too fast. All of the washers, spacers, & o-rings are fine. Whatever the case, it appears there's a problem with a wide batch of these shocks & HH is pretty incompetent when it comes to this stuff so I would stay clear of them. Any of the metal replacements will be a better option, mainly the HSP or V2 Typhon 6s shocks. The V3 Typhon 6s shocks has plastic caps which all failed on me so I replaced the caps with the metal caps from the V3 Kraton.

HH is pretty incompetent when it comes to this stuff so I would stay clear of them. A.

When I sent an email to the address listed on Arrma website and told them I needed 2 replacement shocks Horizon Hobbies is who responded and said they whould ship 2 rebuild kits.
The Granite was supposed to be my GFs truck but when she opened it and seen oil in the bottom of the box and couldn't even use it after paying $300 bucks shes disappointed and wants to return it. When HH sent a rebuild kit that kinda made me mad, not everyone knows how to rebuild an RC shock plus they sent no directions or anything.

After the holiday I will be calling Arrma myself and speaking to someone directly. I might even be able to call my local Arrma dealer and get him to swap out the shocks with some he has in stock i don't know.

The parts Horizon Hobby sent did not fix the stock shock issue, they still leak one just leaks slower then the other. So when I go into the hobby shop or look online for the Typhon shocks do I get the ones for the Typhon 3s or 6s model? Or are they both the same

6S. The 3s are the same as what you have.

Thank you. Wednesday I am going to goto the hobby shop to see if I can get some. I cant wait around on Arrma to send me replacements. They sent rebuild kits and that was a waste of time.
There are not many ways for this shock to leak. The cross threaded parts mean that the inner cap & body needs replacing, which is kinda silly. Nearly all of the larger 1/8 buggy shocks will fit but finding whole shocks at a LHS, goodluck.

When I sent an email to the address listed on Arrma website and told them I needed 2 replacement shocks Horizon Hobbies is who responded and said they whould ship 2 rebuild kits.
The Granite was supposed to be my GFs truck but when she opened it and seen oil in the bottom of the box and couldn't even use it after paying $300 bucks shes disappointed and wants to return it. When HH sent a rebuild kit that kinda made me mad, not everyone knows how to rebuild an RC shock plus they sent no directions or anything.
After the holiday I will be calling Arrma myself and speaking to someone directly. I might even be able to call my local Arrma dealer and get him to swap out the shocks with some he has in stock i don't know.

There is not a single rc manufacturer that will send out an entire pre built shock. They will only replace the parts that are damaged. The shocks for theses are sold in parts from the manufacturer, so that is all you will get from them, if you want complete shock assemblies you need to either shop at jennysrc or any of the chop shops on eBay.

Trust me when I tell you this if you plan on doing anything in this hobby you will need to learn to do things like rebuild shocks, rebuild diffs, ect. Maintaining your rc is just as important as anything else.

There is a seller on eBay his name is citysupermarket that has a nice set of shocks for the senton mega. I contacted him and asked for 130mm and 110 mm shocks and he sent me a link, he is in New York so I had them in two days. I believe he makes them because he has all different sizes and colors but I may be wrong. I been using them for a a couple months now no issues View attachment 19504

I have these shocks on my 4Pede, they are kinda meh, springs are way too stiff to be of any use, there are no shock bladders, the rod ends are made of super soft bendy flexy plastic the metal balls don't fit the rod ends very well and stick.

Last edited:
So for the Typhon 3s will it matter much if the shocks are shorter?

Quick question if i may, my left front shock is leaking bad so i got a set of the HR TD12001 120mm shocks but i cant install them as the upper ball is loose in the hole, its flush but very loose is this normal? and the lower is some weird ball with washer thing. How can i remove the lower one safely? There is no oil in them so i can take them apart if need be.
15457178161651414674398997354291.jpg

Quick question if i may, my left front shock is leaking bad so i got a set of the HR TD12001 120mm shocks but i cant install them as the upper ball is loose in the hole, its flush but very loose is this normal? and the lower is some weird ball with washer thing. How can i remove the lower one safely? There is no oil in them so i can take them apart if need be.View attachment 25917
Not sure about the upper ball but the lower ball should just push out, obviously push it out with the big flat thing going out not in.

I think I might try these shocks.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/1-8-alu-shock-absorber-set-106mm-2.html?wrh_pdp=3&___store=en_us
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/1-8-alu-shock-absorber-set-126mm-2.html?wrh_pdp=3&___store=en_us

the set came with 4 o-rings, which fit the upper ball things, i think that's how it stays in, unless they are for the shaft end inside the shock...lol
EDIT:
Nope they hold the upper mount in place so i got that figured, now i gotta wait till wed to get oil...lol

Last edited:
the set came with 4 o-rings, which fit the upper ball things, i think that's how it stays in, unless they are for the shaft end inside the shock...lol
EDIT:
Nope they hold the upper mount in place so i got that figured, now i gotta wait till wed to get oil...lol
Am I safe to assume you got the lower balls out?

actually left them in as they are correct, just was looking at them backward...lol. I don't know how well these will hold up but im looking into typhon shocks with the metal kraton caps as a backup

actually left them in as they are correct, just was looking at them backward...lol. I don't know how well these will hold up but im looking into typhon shocks with the metal kraton caps as a backup
To be honest the only Hot Racing shocks I have any experience with are the ones for the Mini E-Revo. So not sure how those will hold up.

To be honest the only Hot Racing shocks I have any experience with are the ones for the Mini E-Revo. So not sure how those will hold up.
Yeah should be a experience, my new fun will be figuring out what oil weight to use

my left front shock is leaking bad so i got a set of the HR TD12001 120mm shocks
If you have a leaky shock, I don’t thing the answer is trying a bunch of off brand shocks, I think the answer is rebuilding the stock shocks correctly. I think they are really good. The design is awesome, they cannot pop like traditional shocks.

My shocks came all leaky as a river, I rebuilt them and many many packs later they are still as new. No leaking at all.

When rebuilding I used green slime on both o-rings, and I make sure that the shaft o-ring cap is secured.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back