What did you break today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another spur gear chewed up 🤬 The mesh doesn't seem to be too tight, I can just slightly still rock the gears back and forth. I've done several builds and installed many pinions trouble free, so I'm kind of at a loss here. I'm thinking there's too much gearing/torque for the stock plastic spur. This is a BR3S with 18t pinion and a 3674 2400kv motor on 3S...this is a far cry from what the factory spur is meant to handle. I'm starting to think the spur just can't take the power. Next step is try a metal spur..

20240322_191052.jpg

Another spur gear chewed up 🤬 The mesh doesn't seem to be too tight, I can just slightly still rock the gears back and forth. I've done several builds and installed many pinions trouble free, so I'm kind of at a loss here. I'm thinking there's too much gearing/torque for the stock plastic spur. This is a BR3S with 18t pinion and a 3674 2400kv motor on 3S...this is a far cry from what the factory spur is meant to handle. I'm starting to think the spur just can't take the power. Next step is try a metal spur..

View attachment 356201
Ouch. I got the 4s fluid diff & complete power module/gearbox in the mail yesterday for my Senton 3s. Hopefully it drops right in & driveshaft is good.

View attachment 356201

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-did-you-bash-or-blast-today.62435/post-1064810

Maybe your terrain is different but after sealing my power modules it has been smooth sailing. The Red one has the stock plastic 32P 3S spur (see above thread), has a few packs in and looks new.

The Green one has the old 48P Mega slipper, that plastic spur must be made of something not from this world... Not sure how it is still fine, the slipper on that one actually seized (Mega plastic slip ring melted to the spur), and took out a rear diff, spur was still fine! :LOL: That VXL-3S system has also been unkind to that drivetrain, reverse is a bit too quick and 100% power. 👀

Sealed up the modules using this technique: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/help-me-upgrade-my-senton-3s-for-sand.20322/post-278043

P.S. - Still running the plastic diff's but added an HR metal diff yoke to the rear of the Granite, it helps a lot. Keeps the plastic gears meshed up nicely even under load, also avoid White lithium grease (some brands can soften the plastic), plastic safe grease here is a big plus.

Ouch. I got the 4s fluid diff & complete power module/gearbox in the mail yesterday for my Senton 3s. Hopefully it drops right in & driveshaft is good.
Nice! One of the big advantages of the 4S power module is that it comes with a metal spur. What size motor you plan on running?

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/what-did-you-bash-or-blast-today.62435/post-1064810

Maybe your terrain is different but after sealing my power modules it has been smooth sailing. The Red one has the stock plastic 32P spur (see above thread), has a few packs in and looks new.

The Green one has the old 48P Mega slipper, that plastic spur must be made of something not from this world... Not sure how it is still fine, the slipper on that one actually seized (plastic slip ring melted to the spur), and took out a rear diff, spur was still fine! :LOL: That VXL-3S system has also been unkind to that drivetrain, reverse is a bit too quick and 100% power. 👀

Sealed up the modules using this technic: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/help-me-upgrade-my-senton-3s-for-sand.20322/post-278043

P.S. - Still running the plastic diff's but added an HR metal diff yoke to the rear of the Granite, it helps a lot. Keeps the plastic gears meshed up nicely even under load, also avoid White lithium grease (some brands can soften the plastic), plastic safe grease here is a big plus.
Thanks man, I'll definitely look into it! I know some people prefer to put a hole in the chassis and some prefer to seal (I'm a hole cutter obviously lol). The baffling part is all my other 3s rigs with a slot cut into the chassis, the spurs have been perfect. But none of those have such a torquey motor either. I'm gonna do some scientific research and I'll get back to ya lol 🍻

Thanks man, I'll definitely look into it! I know some people prefer to put a hole in the chassis and some prefer to seal (I'm a hole cutter obviously lol). The baffling part is all my other 3s rigs with a slot cut into the chassis, the spurs have been perfect. But none of those have such a torquey motor either. I'm gonna do some scientific research and I'll get back to ya lol 🍻
:LOL: I try to avoid the cutting when I can.

Agree though, lots of success around here cutting a hole too, maybe the hole was too small or something to do with the mesh?

Is that a pipe/hose clamp!? Tires still look new 🤞
A stainless steel catalyst you could say? I used it in a pinch with some of that thick cardboard stuff used to reinforce boxes to get me through the rest of a day. however when i removed that i went to snip the band rather than open it correctly and needless to say that did not work out so well. One of those things you know better and wouldnt dare do at work, but at home we get complacent and thats usually what makes for unfavorable outcomes. On a side note, it costs more to save your truck extinguishing a battery fire than to purchase a new truck which is an unfortunate reality,

I’m pretty sure everything aside from some tires is smoked— 4s lipohshoot it’s on fire 😆 View attachment 356262
Update. Somehow, some way. This truck is still alive. I put a battery on it, it did its normal start up sound tested steering and forward/reverse. The pinion is not contacting but that was just about shot to begin with. I can hear a healthy motor spin- what an amazing testament to the durability of Arrma trucks

2024-03-29 20:30:58 +0000.gif

I got the 4s fluid diff & complete power module/gearbox in the mail yesterday for my Senton 3s. Hopefully it drops right in & driveshaft is good.
Put the 4s Mojave fluid diff & gearbox in my Senton little while ago. Fit right in. Driveshaft fit fine. The chassis lock from the Mojave 4s gearbox has to be used. It's shorter. The holes are already in the bottom of the Senton chassis for the mount holes in the 4s gearbox. Just had to countersink them for the screws.

Put the 4s Mojave fluid diff & gearbox in my Senton little while ago. Fit right in. Driveshaft fit fine. The chassis lock from the Mojave 4s gearbox has to be used. It's shorter. The holes are already in the bottom of the Senton chassis for the mount holes in the 4s gearbox. Just had to countersink them for the screws.
Pics of install. #4 is the two holes I counter sunk for the 4s gearbox.

20240402_163117.jpg

20240402_163127.jpg

20240402_163143.jpg

20240402_163222.jpg

20240402_163255.jpg

20240402_163302.jpg

20240402_163358.jpg

Back