8s rigs 10mm shock alternative?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, my plan was to try to match the stock rebound. So for preload, besides ride height and making the springs a little stiffer, what other behavior does it generate? Right now I think I am at about 20-25% preload for my tests. @L3phturn I wanted to take a min to thank you for your interaction with this thread, and the knowledge and advice you are sharing. It's much appreciated!

How's your clearance to the drive shaft? I got some big bore losi 5t shocks and i had to run some thinner springs to clear. i think it sits lower than those though by the looks of the rod ends.

How's your clearance to the drive shaft? I got some big bore losi 5t shocks and i had to run some thinner springs to clear. i think it sits lower than those though by the looks of the rod ends.
You know to be honest i didn't even think to look at that. I will go out and look here in a min. Thanks for bringing it up! I was so focused on the other things I overlooked that part. Side note I am running the stock arrma springs not the ones that came with the rovan shocks.

You know to be honest i didn't even think to look at that. I will go out and look here in a min. Thanks for bringing it up! I was so focused on the other things I overlooked that part. Side note I am running the stock arrma springs not the ones that came with the rovan shocks.
I wondered if the OD on the bodies was bigger with the beefier shafts. May be a good thing the stock springs fit. They def wouldn't fit the big bores.

k8 shocks 2.jpg

k8 shocks.jpg

Looks good on clearance. See below, first pic is the stock front, 2nd pic are the rovan rears. Springs are really tight at the top collar and the bottom perch, I have to convince them to go on and off with a flat head screwdriver, but then they have a nice snug fit, so less likely the spring will come out of the perch hopefully.
IMG_2461.jpeg

IMG_2462.jpeg

Looks good on clearance. See below, first pic is the stock front, 2nd pic are the rovan rears. Springs are really tight at the top collar and the bottom perch, I have to convince them to go on and off with a flat head screwdriver, but then they have a nice snug fit, so less likely the spring will come out of the perch hopefully.
View attachment 123226
View attachment 123227
Right on. If i hadn't already gone this route i'd snag those. If i ever go titanium drive shafts i'd probably want those for sure so they would clear the thicker shafts. I need them, i break rear drive shafts way too regularly hahahaha.

Right on. If i hadn't already gone this route i'd snag those. If i ever go titanium drive shafts i'd probably want those for sure so they would clear the thicker shafts. I need them, i break rear drive shafts way too regularly hahahaha.
what shock oil do you run in those shocks and how many holes in the pistons?

what shock oil do you run in those shocks and how many holes in the pistons?
I don't remember now, I think 50? but the springs are super heavy duty. I don't remember piston hole count either anymore.

Did a run tonight and i'm undecided on if the current oil weight is the sweet spot. There were a few jumps that it seemed to kick the rear up more than normal, but it could have been what i was jumping. I think I just need more time with them to know for sure, but at a base level they work. I did break a rear hinge pin, but that's not the first time this has happened, so....

Subscribed for when this gets dialed in. This is a great idea for an upgrade!
Thanks I will keep this updated for sure. I also may move them over to my kraton 8s once I get it rebuilt with the m2c chassis. I will also likely move them to the front at some point to collect more data. Unfortunately the weather is crap here in Ohio so it will limit my testing. When I took it out friday thinking it was going to be cold enough that it wouldn't be too muddy. Yea.. not the case..

IMG_2466.jpeg

IMG_2465.jpeg

Also in case anyone is wondering which arrma springs im using, pic attached. They are the harder of the 3 springs arrma offers. The outcast comes with the medium one out of the box.

Attachments

• IMG_2435.jpeg
    IMG_2435.jpeg
    204.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
^^rig is looking awesome so far! Yeah, I’d be doing this mod on my K8S if you get good results. I believe my chassis is slightly bent from some of the bashing I’ve done so far, but nothing crazy. I tried to increase the preload on my rig to reduce the amount of chassis slap, but it’s just something I’ve grown to live with.

^^rig is looking awesome so far! Yeah, I’d be doing this mod on my K8S if you get good results. I believe my chassis is slightly bent from some of the bashing I’ve done so far, but nothing crazy. I tried to increase the preload on my rig to reduce the amount of chassis slap, but it’s just something I’ve grown to live with.
Yea I bent the crap out of my K8s chassis when I lost power in the air (motor wire came loose) about 20ft+ up. It lawn darted nose first. :oops:

IMG_2360.jpeg

I got it on video if you want to check it out. Its towards the end of this video.

following this thread, thanks for experimenting. Those shock shafts look beefy compared to the stock ones.

following this thread, thanks for experimenting. Those shock shafts look beefy compared to the stock ones.
Beefy isn't the right word for them. One shaft has more material in it than all 4 of the stock shafts put together. I bought a set along with some paddle tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back