8s rigs 10mm shock alternative?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may want to extend the rear arms with the shocks off to see if 3/4" more will cause binding in the cvd cups. Extending the arms that far will put the joints at a greater angle which can break cups in half, or in the very least, cause more wear. Just something to think about before spending the $.
The rear shocks are 1/4" longer than X-Maxx shocks so they should be decent for that rig - BUT even the X-Maxx shocks cause binding with the cups in the rear & the steering blocks keep them from extending in the fronts. I'll stick with the front shocks. I'm ordering another set for the Kraton.

You may want to extend the rear arms with the shocks off to see if 3/4" more will cause binding in the cvd cups. Extending the arms that far will put the joints at a greater angle which can break cups in half, or in the very least, cause more wear. Just something to think about before spending the $.
thanks for the input! I will be looking at that for sure. I did already order them and they come today so I will need to get it sorted if that becomes an issue.
The rear shocks are 1/4" longer than X-Maxx shocks so they should be decent for that rig - BUT even the X-Maxx shocks cause binding with the cups in the rear & the steering blocks keep them from extending in the fronts. I'll stick with the front shocks. I'm ordering another set for the Kraton.
cool thanks for the heads up! I know when I put the rovan fronts on the front, there was still some extension left in the arm, but probably not 3/4 and inch worth. it's still a fun experiment though. thanks for the feedback!

I guess I was gushing over the shocks so much I forgot to upload the pics :ROFLMAO:

20210224_125837.jpg

I'm using the GPM silver springs with 5000cst.

20210224_130013.jpg

Seriously, these things make the stock shocks look like a joke :ROFLMAO:

20210224_125936.jpg

The GPM shocks in the middle has 6mm shafts & come with silver & gold springs. the silver springs are a little stiffer than stock while the gold are much stiffer. These shocks even make those look pitiful.

20210224_131520.jpg
20210224_131529.jpg
20210224_131604.jpg

Wait for the 8s EXb shocks. They were explained by East Tactics. YT'er
They are completely revamped, wider rods and HD ends and longer length. I think. The 8S EXB sits an inch taller. Must be the shocks or the new larger EXB CopperHead 2 tires. Not 100% sure.
The Rovans are true1/5 scale stuff though. A possible alternative. Arrma had no choice but to revamp the 8s shocks. A big weak point and complaint. Whereas the 6s shocks not a peep from most.

I guess I was gushing over the shocks so much I forgot to upload the pics :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 128477

View attachment 128478

View attachment 128479
The GPM shocks in the middle has 6mm shafts & come with silver & gold springs. the silver springs are a little stiffer than stock while the gold are much stiffer. These shocks even make those look pitiful.

View attachment 128484View attachment 128486View attachment 128487
Nice! You will have to let me know how you like them. Weather here in Ohio hasn’t allowed for much testing on my part.

Also for reference I weighed the shocks.
Stock outcast, Rovan front, and Rovan rear

I installed the first set of rears on the Kraton mt conversion on Friday. And then ordered a 2nd set. They came today. I haven’t rebuilt them with the heavier oil yet but had to see them on the truck.🤪🤪

I’m going to need to add some 3/8 tubing to the shaft on the inside to restrict travel, as at full extension I do get some drive shaft binding, but it should still be close to this tall after. I’m thinking 10-15mm spacer should do it but I will need to experiment.

C732AEAD-D8AD-43ED-A1E5-88CA0EA5DE80.jpeg

9A7D5DF4-BAE8-4F8B-BE5D-FFE9BCF06FF9.jpeg

25C8DB2D-D866-4D43-BCB0-421216399FF5.jpeg

B27B2BFD-4059-43CE-B53C-489BD13008BD.jpeg

7D01962E-5E6D-4378-8D19-3769F6590A48.jpeg

B8BC18F4-7A76-4035-AB5C-F6CE6D1A3D18.jpeg

C786C4D0-C499-4CA1-8F46-44C39CB394E6.jpeg

F89D12BF-9500-4AC5-A3FC-A8D1C194ADB2.jpeg

468B3F1F-3A84-4201-A84E-2AB156C8FE72.jpeg

DA41CBD3-A568-431F-816A-6690D3724752.jpeg

190A937F-4B91-4D57-AF70-59F290E10299.jpeg

447A8E1B-383E-41FB-BE4A-C77A1556CBB1.jpeg

Last edited:
I got some beauty shots too. I had to leave the X-Maxx & Outcast alone to spend a few hours getting it mocked up. The Rovan tires have a huge offset so it ends up being 2ft wide. I also made my own body mounts. I'll also make a removable roll cage this time. I always wanted to try my hands at one.

20210225_171721.jpg

20210225_171745.jpg

20210225_171832.jpg
20210225_173213.jpg

I got some beauty shots too. I had to leave the X-Maxx & Outcast alone to spend a few hours getting it mocked up. The Rovan tires have a huge offset so it ends up being 2ft wide. I also made my own body mounts. I'll also make a removable roll cage this time. I always wanted to try my hands at one.

View attachment 128695
View attachment 128696
View attachment 128697View attachment 128698
looking sweet bro!

View attachment 128695
View attachment 128696
View attachment 128697View attachment 128698
Looking sick! what did you use for the wheel inserts? That will keep a lot of mud out. let me know how you like the shocks after a run..

Looking sick! what did you use for the wheel inserts? That will keep a lot of mud out. let me know how you like the shocks after a run.
It's the actual rim. I didn't know they came like that. I can't find them anywhere either. I would love to use them with my paddles.

Thanks for your input. With the fact that i'm using these shocks not in the vehicle they were designed for I somewhat expected these challenges. Getting custom pistons might be the route I need to go eventually, but I am really hoping I can resolve in a way that is more direct fit for people. That may not be possible, but I will see this to the end for sure ;-)

It did not come with extra pistons, it was a fully assembled shock with nothing else included. I thought about your idea of using the arrma pistons, and was going to check fitment if the heavier 100wt shock oil is not viable. I'm really hoping the solution will be something that can be replicated with off the shelf shock oil, and i think 100 is the highest i have seen readily available in the popular brands
Old post, but when you get past 100 weight, oil gets measured in CST's and at that point you are in diff oil territory. And it can work for you also. Still is silicone oil, just thickness is measured differently as diff oil being much thicker.
FWIW.

View attachment 128477

View attachment 128478

View attachment 128479

Looks like those Rovans can fit rubber shock boots at the bottom. Is it an option part??

Don't bother with the rims I have, they're junk.

20210308_000021.jpg

20210308_000049.jpg

They came on the 1st batch of wheels that were sold by the supplier, Crazybaja. He's on Aliexpress, BTW. He's also the only one that sells the updated rims @aametzger has. Crazybaja no longer sell the rim I have which is very thin & only has 1 beadlock. The updated rim is made out of thicker material, has better reinforcement, & 2 beadlocks per rim. I contacted Rovan about it & they said they only have my rim style left & they will send me a replacement, which is fine. I knew that was probably the case anyway so I ordered the updated rims.

So if anyone else is interested in these massive meats, shoot Rovan an email first making sure they have the actual pictured rim/tire instock so you won't have to shell out another $70 to get them - & wait for that slow boat.

Wow that’s crazy. The ones I have seem very strong so far. Pretty sure they are the same ones that are on the new Rovan monster truck.

Wow that’s crazy. The ones I have seem very strong so far. Pretty sure they are the same ones that are on the new Rovan monster truck.
They are, which is partly why they're out of stock. Looks like you got one of the last sets. Hopefully Rovan will stop dishing out the duds & wait for the shipment of new wheels. I was thinking about waiting until then since $70 for some rims is a bit nuts. The shipper the supplier uses is ridiculous.

Wait for the 8s EXb shocks. They were explained by East Tactics. YT'er
They are completely revamped, wider rods and HD ends and longer length. I think. The 8S EXB sits an inch taller. Must be the shocks or the new larger EXB CopperHead 2 tires. Not 100% sure.
The Rovans are true1/5 scale stuff though. A possible alternative. Arrma had no choice but to revamp the 8s shocks. A big weak point and complaint. Whereas the 6s shocks not a peep from most.
Yeah but when available, they are going to be sold out immediately! I really need some better shocks for my 20ft+ jumps with my Outcast 8s. Every outing now is either a broken shock rod end or a bent shock shaft or BOTH

View attachment 128477

View attachment 128478

View attachment 128479

Do the GPM shock shafts bend like the Arrma ones? What about the shock rod ends?

Do the GPM shock shafts bend like the Arrma ones? What about the shock rod ends?
Don't bother with GPM, the only stuff on that shock that is decent are the springs . . . It's the middle one :ROFLMAO:

155809292_4052773778100403_1820294092924342400_o.jpg

BTW, I was easily up 20ft+ when my Kraton plowed into the ground on one wheel & all I bent was the CVD. The 10mm shafts with the RPM arms rolled away from that :oops: There's no way I'd recommend any other setup after seeing that - too bad I snapped a crappy turnbuckle on a pathetic little stuffed jump right after that.

Last edited:
Don't bother with the rims I have, they're junk.

View attachment 130952
View attachment 130954

They came on the 1st batch of wheels that were sold by the supplier, Crazybaja. He's on Aliexpress, BTW. He's also the only one that sells the updated rims @aametzger has. Crazybaja no longer sell the rim I have which is very thin & only has 1 beadlock. The updated rim is made out of thicker material, has better reinforcement, & 2 beadlocks per rim. I contacted Rovan about it & they said they only have my rim style left & they will send me a replacement, which is fine. I knew that was probably the case anyway so I ordered the updated rims.

So if anyone else is interested in these massive meats, shoot Rovan an email first making sure they have the actual pictured rim/tire instock so you won't have to shell out another $70 to get them - & wait for that slow boat.
Hey what's with those crap wheels.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back