EXB Motor and ESC Combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonthomas13

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Notorious
  3. Outcast 6s
Hi all,

I'm giving myself a right headache trying to decide which ESC and Motor combo to install in my EXB when it arrives late August (In the UK).

This is my first roller so my #1 priority is something simple to install, i'd like to avoid modifying anything if possible.
I'm not after the fastest RC car around as it will purely be a basher, but something a little bit quicker than my current 6s cars (both standard BLX185's) would be great. i have no intention at all of running it on 8s, only 6s.

I like the idea of both the MAX8 (4274 2200kv) and MAX6 (4985 1650KV )combos, but i'm struggling to decide between them both.

Pros for the Max8 - cheaper and a direct fit.
Cons for the Max 8 - temps. I also read about them needing a cap pack soldering on, is this true?

Pros for the Max6 - no temp concerns, ability to gear up without too much stress on the motor.
Cons for the Max6 - more expensive & so much uncertanty around fitment. I have read so much over the past few days and asked numerous questions on the facebook pages, but for every 'yes they will fit' comment, theres another comment talking of trimming bits and needing to fit a '50 series motor mount'. Is this true?

Arrma site states maximum motor size is 43mm diameter and 140mm length. The 1650KV motor is 49mm diameter?

If anyone has any advice or input it would be appreciated!

Many thanks
Simon

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm giving myself a right headache trying to decide which ESC and Motor combo to install in my EXB when it arrives late August (In the UK).

This is my first roller so my #1 priority is something simple to install, i'd like to avoid modifying anything if possible.
I'm not after the fastest RC car around as it will purely be a basher, but something a little bit quicker than my current 6s cars (both standard BLX185's) would be great. i have no intention at all of running it on 8s, only 6s.

I like the idea of both the MAX8 (4274 2200kv) and MAX6 (4985 1650KV )combos, but i'm struggling to decide between them both.

Pros for the Max8 - cheaper and a direct fit.
Cons for the Max 8 - temps. I also read about them needing a cap pack soldering on, is this true?

Pros for the Max6 - no temp concerns, ability to gear up without too much stress on the motor.
Cons for the Max6 - more expensive & so much uncertanty around fitment. I have read so much over the past few days and asked numerous questions on the facebook pages, but for every 'yes they will fit' comment, theres another comment talking of trimming bits and needing to fit a '50 series motor mount'. Is this true?

Arrma site states maximum motor size is 43mm diameter and 140mm length. The 1650KV motor is 49mm diameter?

If anyone has any advice or input it would be appreciated!

Many thanks
Simon
It will fit on the arrma esc plate you can zip tie it down as well you might need to get extensions on the motor wires to make it work. If you don't you will need to file down the the top of the esc holder and move the esc towards the motor and dif. It's very close if you do it that way. I decided against it and went for this option. A 4092 will fit a kraton easy as it just goes into my my typhon or outcast. 1730 kv 22 t pinion it's a beautiful thing. This is on a mojave chassis but running outcast everything else

Attachments

• IMG_20200708_133554.jpg
    IMG_20200708_133554.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 158
Thanks for the replies guys. This is the exact reason why i'm confused lol, one comment saying a direct fit, another saying it needs modding. Baffling me!

Mastaa - thanks for the link, i have read it a faid few times already, but again, so much conflicting info on there regarding fitment.

No LHS had any Max6 in stock so i ordered the Max8 combo, however minutes after i ordered their stock changed and they now have the Max6 in stock, i've emailed to change my order so i hope they get it in time before they send the order out.

Just pointing out two things i realised - the conflicting info in regards to the 4985 fitting the Kraton are due to the modelyears. It fits the v4 without modification, but not the v3 - the v3 needs the M2C motor plate.

Second: i also was under the impression that the Max6/4985 runs cool, but got educated by the forum.

It doesn't. In fact, it runs pretty toasty, so i'd suggest staying more on the conservative side of gearing.

edit: also in the UK waiting for stock, but the ESC i want (MMX8s) doesn't even have a date yet, nor any estimates according to wheelspin -.-

Would a different motor run cool with the Max6 ESC on 6s? Bought the combo with the 1650kv motor, but now this thread has given me second thoughts.

I've read through it numerous times and it just threw more options at me lol.
What did you decide on?

I went with the max 6 combo with the 1650kv motor, should arrive tomorrow, then a nice long wait until the car arrives lol

This is what i put in my Kraton, I'm struggling to keep it cool, and options are basically zero. Trying to fit an x-maxx heatsink/cooler on mine but its looking pretty grim.

This is what i put in my Kraton, I'm struggling to keep it cool, and options are basically zero. Trying to fit an x-maxx heatsink/cooler on mine but its looking pretty grim.
What pinion you running it on?

I've read through it numerous times and it just threw more options at me lol.
What did you decide on?

I went with the max 6 combo with the 1650kv motor, should arrive tomorrow, then a nice long wait until the car arrives lol

Well yes, that's literally what you were asking for.

I'll be running a Castle MMX8s with 4092 Rocket 1650kv, starting with a 20t pinion and after first run and temperature checks gear up/down/be done accordingly. Apparently, the general consensus is that a setup with the MMX8s runs cooler - both on the ESC and the motor.

As you can see, there's people having "trouble" with the Max6/4985. I assume that's partially due to the kv limit on the Max6 being 1500kv if running 6s according to the manual.

In regards to "fixing" the overheating, well.

There's this option, if you're loaded.

https://www.facebook.com/NTFRacingRC/

He makes fans/mounts to order. But in the other thread someone mentioned, his 4985 fan/mount set him back over $250, which isn't an option for me.

I might of ran my max6 with a 56112 840kv........
It worked. Not saying your wrong but it worked.
I’m sure that did hurt the esc running it at max volts tho
Everyone misreads that kv limit statement, it says those limits are for a 5892 motor size. Smaller motors will have higher limits tho they don't publish them, you will need to refer to the motor specs themselves to figure that out. Basically if a motor exceeds 160A continuous draw (Max6 continuous limit) then it's not going to run well.

20200709_163034.jpg

Everyone misreads that kv limit statement, it says those limits are for a 5892 motor size. Smaller motors will have higher limits tho they don't publish them, you will need to refer to the motor specs themselves to figure that out. Basically if a motor exceeds 160A continuous draw (Max6 continuous limit) then it's not going to run well.

View attachment 88890
Well I have a max5 now so no problems?

View attachment 88890

I stand corrected. Though, it is still correct that the Max6/4985 is a pretty toasty combo, for whatever reason it might be then.

I stand corrected. Though, it is still correct that the Max6/4985 is a pretty toasty combo, for whatever reason it might be then.
Seems the max continuous amps the 4985 pulls is 160A, the Max6 continuous limit so with a heavy vehicle and aggressive gearing I can see why the esc would cut out. I run a hobbystar 4585 1580kv with my Hexfly Hex6 (Max6 rebranded) that runs like a dream. That motor spec is 142A continuous and runs pretty cool for me.

Attachments

• 20200709_182255.jpg
    20200709_182255.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 69
What pinion you running it on?

I got the x-maxx heatsink to work. It makes a pretty significant difference even without a fan. 20 degrees probably. Right now I'm using an 18t pinion. Would like to move up to a 20t or more. It's so much torque at 18t with the 1650, it constantly spins the tires on pavement.

@Overpowerrc is the Max5 a direct fit on Kraton 6s V4? I am torn between the Max5(can buy slightly used locally) or ordering the MMX 8s. I plan to run a 4092 1730kv when available. I run a lot of grass so looking to keep cool. Thx
Mine was in a x-Maxx. Go for the mmx 8s or max6
The max5 gets mounted on the center diff cover

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back