Kraton EXB - recommend me some electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you have to modify the motor to fit into the exb?
Honestly I didn’t try the stock mount. I have a @PPS-RC mount and the stock one went straight into a spare parts bin. ??‍♂️

What is the most cost effective setup that can comfortably run a full 6S session without getting too hot? Hobbywing?

I would say either the Max8 or Max6 combo, depends on how you drive..??

Or even more budget friendly Max6 with Hobbystar/Rocket motor 4082 or 4092 1700kv or lower

I would say either the Max8 or Max6 combo, depends on how you drive..??

Or even more budget friendly Max6 with Hobbystar/Rocket motor 4082 or 4092 1700kv or lower
When I ran a Max6 with the Hobbystar 4092 1730kv motor, the motor would get piping hot.

When I ran a Max6 with the Hobbystar 4092 1730kv motor, the motor would get piping hot.

Do you think that is more a function of the ESC or a slightly undersized motor? What pinion were you running?

Thank you this is really helpful for a new guy like me. I'm learning on my Notorious (and loving it) and taking my time to prep my EXB and learn a lot before I put it on the road.

Now I just have to resist pulling the trigger on an Outcast 8S. I'm not ready! Next spring. But damn...

Do you think that is more a function of the ESC or a slightly undersized motor? What pinion were you running?

Thank you this is really helpful for a new guy like me. I'm learning on my Notorious (and loving it) and taking my time to prep my EXB and learn a lot before I put it on the road.

Now I just have to resist pulling the trigger on an Outcast 8S. I'm not ready! Next spring. But damn...
I don't think the motor was undersized. It's larger that the stock motor. I just think the Hobbystar motors tend to run hot. I was using a 19t pinion. Once I added a motor fan it was fine.

I don't think the motor was undersized. It's larger that the stock motor. I just think the Hobbystar motors tend to run hot. I was using a 19t pinion. Once I added a motor fan it was fine.

Thank you! What's the best budget basic fan setup for the motor? I could use one for my Notorious as well.

Fitted the Spektrum Combo yesterday in the evening ... 1250kv and firma160´s .... if you don´t wanna chop of the mounting on the firma, you have do move it a little bit sideways, and dissassemble the cable holder on the mounting plattform, but after that ... perfect.
19t pinion is also on place ... now the rear diff has to be sorted out ... and ready 2 go ^^ ha ha ... hope it will be soon .... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Fitted the Spektrum Combo yesterday in the evening ... 1250kv and firma160´s .... if you don´t wanna chop of the mounting on the firma, you have do move it a little bit sideways, and dissassemble the cable holder on the mounting plattform, but after that ... perfect.
19t pinion is also on place ... now the rear diff has to be sorted out ... and ready 2 go ^^ ha ha ... hope it will be soon .... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I found the servo and ESC cable runs under the ESC mounting plate to be a pain on my notorious so I routed the cables up over the chassis brace and zip tied them to the brace to secure them. I ripped the Spektrum receiver out immediately and put a DumboRC 6 channel in there. I expect to do the same for my EXB.

Max6 4985 1650kv combo €200
Firma k8s 1250kv combo €350

It the spektrum firma combo on 6s worth the much heavier price tag?

I'd wouldn't pay retail for a new firma combo but rather try and find a new/used takeoff from a k8s. My understanding is that the firma esc is just a rebranded max6 with fancier colors.
In Europe there are not much firma systems to be found other than new. I found a system for €300 at a car breaker. So I guess a max6 with a 1600kv rocket or hobbywing is still better bang for the buck

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200828205623288_COVER.jpg
Dropped in a 1750kv TP 4060 (4092 can size, I think they use the armature measurements for their numbering scheme, similar to Castle?) & MMX8S and holy crap it rules.

The esc didn't even break a sweat on 6s - highest temp reading was 120ish. Fan never came on other when arming at startup. 160 was the highest reading on the motor. This was on a 16t pinion; going to try out a 19t next time out. I'll be curious to look at the logs next time to see how many amps are being drawn.

View attachment 97043Dropped in a 1750kv TP 4060 (4092 can size, I think they use the armature measurements for their numbering scheme, similar to Castle?) & MMX8S and holy crap it rules.

The esc didn't even break a sweat on 6s - highest temp reading was 120ish. Fan never came on other when arming at startup. 160 was the highest reading on the motor. This was on a 16t pinion; going to try out a 19t next time out. I'll be curious to look at the logs next time to see how many amps are being drawn.
Is the can sealed or vented? Wondering how it stayed so cool ??‍♂️

It's sealed. I'm sure the 16t pinion played a part in the temps since it's not that much taller than stock k6s gearing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back