Kraton Hobbywing max 6 and 4985 motor combo

Armarookie43

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s, Outcast 6s, Typhon 6s
I just put a max6 in my outcast with the stock motor so I could go up to 14T vs the 13T to run at the grass bmx track I run at. With 14T, the esc would overheat on me after about 12 minutes. I need just 1T more speed to clear some of the jumps without being "is it going to clear is it going to clear... no... lawn dart". I can clear on 13T, but I have to hit it in just the right spot. 14T gives me a bit more leeway.
Cool. Thanks for that info. I'll probably do that too 👍

xSUBtRONiKx

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I used hot glue and 3 zip ties and it has not budged. Although there was that crash that stripped the battery box and esc plate off the screws!

JRYBEN

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Notorious
I just put a max6 in my outcast with the stock motor so I could go up to 14T vs the 13T to run at the grass bmx track I run at. With 14T, the esc would overheat on me after about 12 minutes. I need just 1T more speed to clear some of the jumps without being "is it going to clear is it going to clear... no... lawn dart". I can clear on 13T, but I have to hit it in just the right spot. 14T gives me a bit more leeway.
I'm still learning but would the Max6 possibly be overheating because the stock motors KV is too high for it? I see the 4985 is only slightly higher than the Max6's rating but, evidently, it appears to be a superior match and it is even sold as a set... which I am going to buy, : )

Armarookie43

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s, Outcast 6s, Typhon 6s
I'm still learning but would the Max6 possibly be overheating because the stock motors KV is too high for it? I see the 4985 is only slightly higher than the Max6's rating but, evidently, it appears to be a superior match and it is even sold as a set... which I am going to buy, : )
From what I have seen no. The max 6 esc is capable of running the stock motor with no issues.

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
The overheating issue was with the blx185, which is why I got the max6 to see if it allows me to gear a bit higher.

jimbobtcc206

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s
I use a castle fan on mine. Early days of use but no heat issues with 18t pinion. The fan is for up to 48mm diameter so it’s not ideal at 49mm but it does fit okay and works fine. The fan is Castle Creations 15 Series CC Blower Motor Fan (38 - 48mm Diameter). image.jpg
How do you work out the speed MPH capability of this combo with 50t spur but different Pinion options?

Last edited:

Mr.Duke

~ Gray Matter Minimalist ~
Staff member
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton 6s, Notorious, Outcast 6s, Talion, Typhon 6s
what fan system are u running on your 4985 1650kv motor. i want the best i can i find but am kinda having a hard time finding a 50mm fan motor mount. any ideas thanks man
Fans are 30mm aluminum from RCjuice and the mount I made myself

BashingBrian

So here I am, I'm Tiny Rick..!!!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Granite, Infraction, Kraton 6s, Senton, Typhon 6s
How do you work out the speed MPH capability of this combo with 50t spur but different Pinion options?
I use this... rc-car-calculator ... it gives you a rough idea of what you'll end up with..👍🏼
All the info you need is on Arrma's site and you have the motor/kv to add..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.