Hurricane Strike Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoot all the gators you see

swamp people king GIF

Phone Internet still messed up, so is talk and text, just got a text from 10am. Home internet is down, storms like this destroy towers, so phone and internet damage is a given. My two neighbors have Verizon, I think, they get reception much faster than me according to the last 2 storms to hit this area.

It's super hot today, take about 5 showers a day, have sheets on my sofa and bed to combat the sweat. Hear rumors about power restored by Sept 8th this area, we shall see.

This area has 12 refineries, 8 were knocked out. President has okayed the use of the strategic energy reserves, but that crude must be transported and refined. Sure some fuel is being transported from other states. Just not enough of local gas stations with generator power.

Going through notifications take so long to pull up and even longer to reply, have to worry about crashing. Won't even load up a like, ha ha. Will try to navigate the forum while I can, typing one letter would take minutes, if ever, much smoother now so getting it in.

Have a good weekend guys, no so much here.
T
Nice to see that you weathered another Hurricane in tact. (what, too soon? :ROFLMAO: ) Glad to hear you are alright, some discomfort is waaaay better than your previous experience with Katrina. Hope you get your power on soon, so you can get back to normal. (y)
Thanks @Doom, Actually rode one out here last year, Zeta, had so many Atlantic basin storms last year that they had to go to the Greek alphabet, and some people still argue about theres no global warming.

Last edited:
Wow, glad you’re ok. Here in Se pa it’s said to be the worst flooding since Agnis in ‘72. I had a friend loose everything and fled by night on foot with 2 cats, 3 dogs and like 8 parrots. He left work last night and barely got home in time to get his animals together. By the time he did his cars were under water. Hes in a shelter.
Crazy storm for sure, hope you and everyone else down your way get back to normal. Terrible story with that gator. Man, be Careful!
@Jimbobjr, sorry to hear about your friend. I evacuated for Katrina with my 4 parrots, 1st time ever in my life doing so, although being through some bad ones.

22 hours of hell on the road to get from N.O. to Houston to my hotel room. Scorthing heat, bumper to bumper traffic crawling at 5mph. Dead stop traffic on I10, had to kill the car many times, get out and sit on the interstate with my birds to get air. Almost killed them by the time I got there, they were weak, tired and extremely stressed. This was in 2005, unfortunately 2 have since passed and still have my other 2, one is 24yo and other 26. They are family.

Did this again the next year im 06, after that I said I will never evacuate again. I would rather die at home then go though that ever again!!
Seriously thinking about a DIY power wall and portable solar panels, just for those days.
Generators kill a lot of people (CO2) and it would have to be close to the house. Finding gas is always an issue, even leading up to a storm. Main use would be refrigerator, rest is a luxury.
That's a good idea.

Many in my area has already died or gone to hospital, even kids. They say 20 feet from home, windows, doors, garages. You also have to take wind into the equation. I moved mine around 3 times and settled on the backyard which is safer but more of a hassle carring heavy tanks of fuel. One of my neighbors has his in the garage which is attached to his house, he's a dummy and if he dies, no surprise here.

Fuel is always a problem, just like stated in my posts. Yes, my priority is refrigerator and deep freezer, rest is luxury as you said.
Hang tough, and try not to shoot people unless they really deserve it 😉
Don't worry, our Glocks are ready to rock if need be.

Last edited:
Things running more smoothly here today, been online here a half hour and getting better as I go, hope it lasts. Even getting in a few threads. Glad to relax my mind for awhile. Miss being on here, I don't do FB or forums, drama, just here.

I think I need some wire management.

Got this generator at HD, only ones they had at the time. Wanted a bigger one but beggars can't be choosy. They get shipments of different brands and people buy them up as trucks come in, they don't even hit the floor. This one is supposed to be fuel injected but eats fuel like a funny car.

A tree fell into my neighbors roof.

My fence, actually my neighbors owns that side.

Still having problems loading pics. 😫

20210902_082354.jpg
20210902_072508.jpg

20210902_072653.jpg
20210901_135603.jpg
20210902_082622.jpg
20210902_082633.jpg

Last edited:
Things running more smoothly here today, been online here a half hour and getting better as I go, hope it lasts. Even getting in a few threads. Glad to relax my mind for awhile. Miss being on here, I don't do FB or forums, drama, just here.

I think I need some wire management.

Got this generator at HD, only ones they had at the time. Wanted a bigger one but beggars can't be choosy. They get shipments of different brands and people buy them up as trucks come in, they don't even hit the floor. This one is supposed to be fuel injected but eats fuel like a funny car.

A tree fell into my neighbors roof.

My fence, actually my neighbors owns that side.

Still having problems loading pics. 😫

View attachment 167376View attachment 167380

View attachment 167382
That’s good news. Glad things are turning for the better. I know it’s probably a bad time to broach the subject, but at what point do you decide to move out of the bullseye? Years ago I thought about moving from the Midwest to “better” areas, but after seeing them either flooded, on fire, or being looted/rioted, it seems like we have a pretty good spot here going forward. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Wishing you the best brother. ✌🏻

@Jimbobjr, sorry to hear about your friend. I evacuated for Katrina with my 4 parrots, 1st time ever in my life doing so, although being through some bad ones.
Thankfully they were allowed back in their home today. He said the water filled the basement and up to the windows on the first floor. Cars are totaled along with the garage structure moved off its foundation. Not as bad as he first thought but pretty bad. The critters are all fine with family members. He’s a parrot rescue so he has some connections for their care until he gets his bird room back together.
Glad you’re getting things in order. Hope they get your power back soon.

That’s good news. Glad things are turning for the better. I know it’s probably a bad time to broach the subject, but at what point do you decide to move out of the bullseye? Years ago I thought about moving from the Midwest to “better” areas, but after seeing them either flooded, on fire, or being looted/rioted, it seems like we have a pretty good spot here going forward. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Wishing you the best brother. ✌🏻
Ive been wanting for years since Katrina, but with my aging Mom, rebuilding our home and other family issues it just wasn't a option at the time.

When Mom passed away late 2017 it was a opportunity for me to move to Colorado, but with sibling problems I just didn't have the time to scout out the mountains and had to buy here.

Believe me there isn't a day that passes by that I don't think of moving. New Orleans is a fantastic city but has its problems. The food, culture, people, history, will be hard to give up for this bayou boy. But I can't afford to lose another home, vehicles, and everything else again.

These storms are getting more frequent and more powerful. Was in the cone 9 times last year with a direct hit. When we were in the eye, I went outside in the calm looked up and seen the stars, a couple neighbors came out, we chatted, joked, drank a Heniken.

15 to 20 minutes went by and you could see the back half approaching, time to go inside and ride out the other half. The wind and rain comes from the other direction, 180° out. The trees bend in opposite direction. It's fascinating and intriguing, but can get scary when it really rips.

After this season will have to think things over, but like I said, will be harder for me to do since my last move. We are in the peak of hurricane season now, doesn't end till mid November, so have a long way to go.
Thankfully they were allowed back in their home today. He said the water filled the basement and up to the windows on the first floor. Cars are totaled along with the garage structure moved off its foundation. Not as bad as he first thought but pretty bad. The critters are all fine with family members. He’s a parrot rescue so he has some connections for their care until he gets his bird room back together.
Glad you’re getting things in order. Hope they get your power back soon.
Sad to hear about his damage, but at least he and his pets are safe. People think about hurricanes as wind only, but that's just one part. On the coast you have storm surge, some up to 20 feet, that's what killed New Orleans way from the Gulf of Mexico.

Then you have the rain, which can dump up to 20 inches in one area. The storm can move all the way east as far as New York, etc., just as your friend.

Nice to hear your friend is a parrot rescue, most people don't have a clue how to take care of parrots and want the big breeds. The bird suffers and end up being passed from owner to owner or if lucky to a rescue. I've had birds over 25 years, friends, family, strangers, gork at my birds and say I want one. My answer is, no you don't, get a goldfish.

Hope your friend gets back on his toes, I totally appreciate the work he does. Only one in 1000 people deserve the gift to own a parrot, big or small.

Last edited:
Update, can't get on the internet, takes me a hour to boot up when I'm able then crashes when I try to post. Have Boost Mobile and it's the worst ever, last year hurricane Zeta was the same with them. Will dump them after all this is over. Cell towers are down and everything is on roam.
Well telecom companies also worked hard to not do anything which could have prevented or lessen these outages as well - https://www.vice.com/en/article/dyv...at-would-have-prevented-hurricane-ida-outages

Glad to hear you made it through. Is there anything we can do for you? Send you?

Well telecom companies also worked hard to not do anything which could have prevented or lessen these outages as well - https://www.vice.com/en/article/dyv...at-would-have-prevented-hurricane-ida-outages

Glad to hear you made it through. Is there anything we can do for you? Send you?
Thanks Woodie. No I'm good but appreciate you asking.
Think things will get better every day forward, 2 positive things tonight, home internet/wifi just came online and watching the LSU UCLA game on tv.

Think things will get better every day forward, 2 positive things tonight, home internet/wifi just came online and watching the LSU UCLA game on tv.
Today was a beautiful day if your a college football fan.

Might have been a day early 😜
Today was a beautiful day if your a college football fan.
Well maybe not for an LSU fan 😜

😳 not a loss to UCLA?? LSU is in the "where did Joe go" phase. I woulda loved to play for a coach like LSU's. I can't ever remember his name.
Coach Ed? Yeah he’s a cool dude. Love his voice.

Phone Internet still messed up, so is talk and text, just got a text from 10am. Home internet is down, storms like this destroy towers, so phone and internet damage is a given. My two neighbors have Verizon, I think, they get reception much faster than me according to the last 2 storms to hit this area.

It's super hot today, take about 5 showers a day, have sheets on my sofa and bed to combat the sweat. Hear rumors about power restored by Sept 8th this area, we shall see.

This area has 12 refineries, 8 were knocked out. President has okayed the use of the strategic energy reserves, but that crude must be transported and refined. Sure some fuel is being transported from other states. Just not enough of local gas stations with generator power.

Going through notifications take so long to pull up and even longer to reply, have to worry about crashing. Won't even load up a like, ha ha. Will try to navigate the forum while I can, typing one letter would take minutes, if ever, much smoother now so getting it in.

Have a good weekend guys, no so much here.
T

Thanks @Doom, Actually rode one out here last year, Zeta, had so many Atlantic basin storms last year that they had to go to the Greek alphabet, and some people still argue about theres no global warming.
I heard ATT subscribers were let down big time. Verizon worked much more closely with FEMA and Local Emergency management. ATT Dropped the ball. NO preparations were made.

God is good and he's for real,he is the mvp,man, happy very happy u and us are ok material things it's hard to lose it but live is only 1,I know your feeling because I'm from Puerto Rico and when hurricane Maria hit the island it was really bad.but p.r.are up again so keep up not my guy,are guy here man.God Bless y'all

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back