New 1/8 MT from Associated! Looks interesting. Rival MT8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well then, call me silly, I don't care.. I'll tell you this, something has either changed with the xmaxx tires/foams or you don't really self right the "big old girl" cuz both mine and my brothers xmaxx's have both debonded multiple tires from the wheels. As well as the foams turning to dust within 10 packs through the trucks, bone stock. We don't use the lazy-boy self righting either..
Guess what, same issues with the Maxx, Sludge and E Revo.. I do like all those rigs, but TRX tires and wheels in general are just rubbish.
I have bought 2 full sets and they have both sucked, my K8 RTR tires lasted like 40+ packs.

Well then, call me silly, I don't care.. I'll tell you this, something has either changed with the xmaxx tires/foams or you don't really self right the "big old girl" cuz both mine and my brothers xmaxx's have both debonded multiple tires from the wheels. As well as the foams turning to dust within 10 packs through the trucks, bone stock. We don't use the lazy-boy self righting either..
Guess what, same issues with the Maxx, Sludge and E Revo.. I do like all those rigs, but TRX tires and wheels in general are just rubbish.

Not sure what to tell you. Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.

The front c hubs or whatever they're called look just like the kaiju on the front of the mt8, which are pretty fragile..RC makes some nice 7075 bits that would probably help the mt8 in durability? Axle carriers as well.
I swear if KT had taken the sludge and done the same, the tires would've blown off and almost certain front axle failure while trying to self right like he did with the mt8. Not hating, I do like the sludge, but it doesn't seem to be of traditional TRX quality in materials, axles at least.
Yeah the 7075 RC stuff for the hubs and c hubs looks durable, but I never changed them out on my Kaiju since I don't break them often enough TBH. But the MT8 with the extra components like the metal chassis, center brace etc, is heavier, so it might be a good idea to go with the aluminum stuff like I did with my Maxx V2, which is also a heavier rig 👍

Yeah the 7075 RC stuff for the hubs and c hubs looks durable, but I never changed them out on my Kaiju since I don't break them often enough TBH. But the MT8 with the extra components like the metal chassis, center brace etc, is heavier, so it might be a good idea to go with the aluminum stuff like I did with my Maxx V2, which is also a heavier rig 👍
I'm somewhat surprised that you haven't boken front c hubs on the kaiju, I've seen you send that thing pretty hard. Guess it's just proof of how different usage will effect what breaks or not..
I'd be curious to know how the maxx (v1&2) compare to the mt8 and kaiju (EXT also) for weights?
My brother has v1 maxx completely stock and it feels quite a bit lighter in the hands to me than my OG kaiju. Drives like it's quite a bit lighter as well. The maxx is about the same speed on 4s as kaiju on 6s also..

Last edited:
Check it out. I'm instantly interested :
How many of these broke to get the best edits on this video.
I say at least a Dozen of them before they got a few good seconds of big air video.
Not a fan of TA anymore. I don't trust the brand since they were bought out by ThunderTiger.
TA got me into this hobby 35+ years ago. Spent BIG $ with TA over the years being a TA fanboy. They went down hill once they started with the RTR stuff and ThunderTiger. Their stuff gets discontinued often. Parts and all. Stuck with a shelf queen within a few years. Been there. My TA ProSE 4x4 SCT one example. Discontinued, parts and all 6 months after I purchased it. And they do this all the time. Hit and run RTR models.
Their Track Kits are best, and only if Racing.
Old thread here.
The F/R bracing that terminates at the center diff looks horrible. Resembles the Arrma 8s rig bracing.

Last edited:
The MT8 is very easy to understand. It's just a (mostly) improved Kaiju. A LOT of areas are better, some the same, a couple worse (arms, radio).

How many of these broke to get the best edits on this video.
I say at least a Dozen of them before they got a few good seconds of big air video.
Not a fan of TA anymore. I don't trust the brand since they were bought out by ThunderTiger.
TA got me into this hobby 35+ years ago. Spent BIG $ with TA over the years being a TA fanboy. They went down hill once they started with the RTR stuff and ThunderTiger. Their stuff gets discontinued often. Parts and all. Stuck with a shelf queen within a few years. Been there. My TA ProSE 4x4 SCT one example. Discontinued, parts and all 6 months after I purchased it. And they do this all the time. Hit and run RTR models.
Their Track Kits are best, and only if Racing.
Old thread here.
The F/R bracing that terminates at the center diff looks horrible. Resembles the Arrma 8s rig bracing.
Losi does the same thing with their rtr stuff I noticed.

I'm somewhat surprised that you haven't boken front c hubs on the kaiju, I've seen you send that thing pretty hard. Guess it's just proof of how different usage will effect what breaks or not..
I'd be curious to know how the maxx (v1&2) compare to the mt8 and kaiju (EXT also) for weights?
My brother has v1 maxx completely stock and it feels quite a bit lighter in the hands to me than my OG kaiju. Drives like it's quite a bit lighter as well. The maxx is about the same speed on 4s as kaiju on 6s also..
I've broken that part before. But mostly by missing the ramp and hitting the front wheel first sideways. Not much you can do about a hit like that 😂

The MT8 is very easy to understand. It's just a (mostly) improved Kaiju. A LOT of areas are better, some the same, a couple worse (arms, radio).
I am glad you said the Kaiju resembles the MT8. I said that very quietly to myself......
And everyone here knows how I feel abut the Kaiju.(n)

I am glad you said the Kaiju resembles the MT8. I said that very quietly to myself......
And everyone here knows how I feel abut the Kaiju.(n)
Indeed you have, and I understand where you're coming from. I don't know why, but the Kaiju gets to me🙃 I too have had my share of disappointment from RC..well, apparently not? 🤣🤣 Either way, it is a shame to see what's become of TA for sure.. I do miss the glory days of American made rc's. No offense to any fellow forum members abroad!

It is more the Redcat brand I despise.
If the Kaiju was under a different Brand, I perhaps would feel differently????:giggle:
I would rather have a Traxass rig over a any Redcat.
And we know how I feel about Trx and even TA. As basher rigs go.

What if the Kaiju was a Tekno??????:giggle:
But it is hard to fool me.
I am an old tired RC'er.
So I can be brand critical at times. It just happens that way.

I am an old tired RC'er.
Once bitten, twice shy!!
I used to feel that way about TRX (critical) and still am to a degree..human nature I suppose.
I can remember when TA and Losi dominated US off road RC..TRX was literally a joke..RTR!? Ha, that'll never be hobby grade!! Shamefully (IMO), rtr's and TRX have become mainstream..oh well.
At least I can say that TRX has made huge improvements over those POS rtr's from the 90's!!🍻

I am an old tired RC'er.
I think we can certainly develop stigmas about certain brands, RC related or not. Experiences I have will likely shape my perception of a brand's quality, irrespective of what statistics might say otherwise. The inverse is also true. I may have experiences that are completely different than the statistical norm. Shoot, look at Haas in F1. I think they downright suck. And yet there are still Haas fans out there. Nothing wrong with being a Haas fan, they still score points from time to time and have good quals.

I can't speak to the MT8, but so far the Kaiju surprised me. There are alot of design choices that mimick what i've seen on my mt410. Good design choices. And yes, a few poor QC issues and some design flaws as well.

Then again, my mini fleet is rather brand unspecific. I've had HPI, TRX, Redcat, Arrma, Tekno. I have plans for TA and long term a 1/5 scale Losi. That doesn't mean that all HPIs, TRX, Arrma's, Tekno's etc are good, just that there are better models than others. Just my 2 cents.

I think we can certainly develop stigmas about certain brands, RC related or not. Experiences I have will likely shape my perception of a brand's quality, irrespective of what statistics might say otherwise. The inverse is also true. I may have experiences that are completely different than the statistical norm. Shoot, look at Haas in F1. I think they downright suck. And yet there are still Haas fans out there. Nothing wrong with being a Haas fan, they still score points from time to time and have good quals.

I can't speak to the MT8, but so far the Kaiju surprised me. There are alot of design choices that mimick what i've seen on my mt410. Good design choices. And yes, a few poor QC issues and some design flaws as well.

Then again, my mini fleet is rather brand unspecific. I've had HPI, TRX, Redcat, Arrma, Tekno. I have plans for TA and long term a 1/5 scale Losi. That doesn't mean that all HPIs, TRX, Arrma's, Tekno's etc are good, just that there are better models than others. Just my 2 cents.
To be completely unbiased is nearly impossible for me..and many others I think as well.
I'm guilty of being too critical of TRX myself.. but I am learning to let go of my dislike for them. I'm up to 3 TRX rigs now..although the Tmaxx will likely never see the light of day again🤣🤣
To add to @Hector_Fisher comment, I like having rigs from different manufacturers. I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket I suppose.

Last edited:
To be completely unbiased is nearly impossible for me..and many others I think as well.
I'm guilty of being too critical of TRX myself.. but I am learning to let go of my dislike for them. I'm up to 3 TRX rigs now..although the Tmaxx will likely never see the light of day again🤣🤣
Agreed, you'd have to buy hundreds of RC's from various manufacturers, multiples of the same model, in order to be qualified to be "unbiased". Even then, it would come down to what you value which could change from person to person. I try to diversify and be open to new things so I don't put my "Arrma blinders" or "Traxxas blinders" on. We all know a few of those people.... ;)

Agreed, you'd have to buy hundreds of RC's from various manufacturers, multiples of the same model, in order to be qualified to be "unbiased". Even then, it would come down to what you value which could change from person to person. I try to diversify and be open to new things so I don't put my "Arrma blinders" or "Traxxas blinders" on. We all know a few of those people.... ;)
I'd surely be game to own one of each!!🤣🤣🍻

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back