New 1/8 MT from Associated! Looks interesting. Rival MT8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I didn't think his assessment was totally fair. Not every car is going to be used in the way that he uses it, so really only a handful of cars will long term stand up to his abuse. Most other reviews I saw focused on the good handling, lots of power, and some breakages here or there.
Heck, even the most durable RC vehicles out there (even upgraded) can only survive a few of those direct concrete landings TBH

It's too bad people can't see beyond "how high will it go before it smashes into pieces", because the Rival MT8 is one of the most fun 6S bashers I have. If I were to take a 1/8 6S truck out for fun right now, I would reach for the Rival.

It's too bad people can't see beyond "how high will it go before it smashes into pieces", because the Rival MT8 is one of the most fun 6S bashers I have. If I were to take a 1/8 6S truck out for fun right now, I would reach for the Rival.
No doubt, I would definitely love to have one in my fleet. 😎
A good handling MT is so versatile IMO. Kind of an oxymoron, but some of them do actually handle pretty well.

KT didn't like the MT8 at all. Not that I would jump it and land it on concrete like he does though. Most of us don't do that. Heck some of us don't even jump our rigs 😂

Well, can't say I'm surprised by anything in this video..
Let's do a speedrun on a driveway that's 10 feet (maybe) wide, lined on both sides with 3' tall grass.. stock steering servo is too slow, looks like he would've been better off leaving the stock one in?
Seems like KT was determined to try and blow the tires off..didn't happen..I'll bet if he tried with the Xmaxx they would've blown right off tho. Never seen a worse factory glue failure than TRX myself..all of them.
I do enjoy KT for the entertainment value, but I cringe when I see some of the things he does to them..like insistently trying to self right a rig when he's standing right next to it..why? Or continuing to drive after it's clearly broken, I know, I don't have KT money so I wouldn't understand..
Admittedly the MT8 isn't among the most durable rigs out there, but then again, that is reflected by the price. Which is quite reasonable.
Now if the aftermarket were to get behind it, it could likely be much more durable. I doubt that'll happen but would be awesome to see some upgrades for the arms and such.

Well, can't say I'm surprised by anything in this video..
Let's do a speedrun on a driveway that's 10 feet (maybe) wide, lined on both sides with 3' tall grass.. stock steering servo is too slow, looks like he would've been better off leaving the stock one in?
Seems like KT was determined to try and blow the tires off..didn't happen..I'll bet if he tried with the Xmaxx they would've blown right off tho. Never seen a worse factory glue failure than TRX myself..all of them.
I do enjoy KT for the entertainment value, but I cringe when I see some of the things he does to them..like insistently trying to self right a rig when he's standing right next to it..why? Or continuing to drive after it's clearly broken, I know, I don't have KT money so I wouldn't understand..
Admittedly the MT8 isn't among the most durable rigs out there, but then again, that is reflected by the price. Which is quite reasonable.
Now if the aftermarket were to get behind it, it could likely be much more durable. I doubt that'll happen but would be awesome to see some upgrades for the arms and such.
Agreed. I think he has one thing at best--entertainment value. KT/Duperbash/RCdude81: all their views on durability i kind of take worth a grain of salt. Unless you're driving like they are (which if so, i feel like you'd better be made of money) then I wouldn't count on their advice for what your RC needs to be durable. If I did listen to duperbash (no offense Rich), I feel like I would have bought every M2C hopup for my KEXB and spent around $600 just to feel like my RC is now "beefcake" and can survive bashing. TBH, i'm pretty pleased with the durability of my stock KEXB (well... with the RPM upper control arms...).

I feel that the majority of RC enthusiasts are much less extreme bashers than that, but I could be wrong. I find the "normal" bashers to be much more informative on what my personal experience would actually be like. RC guy garage (although a little long winded), RC hotspot, ccxrc, razorrc, to name a few off my head. Shoot, even Brett on the amainhobbies channel does a decent job being down to earth on durability and user experience. Then after that i'll just browse forums to see what people complain about breaking most often.

While the MT10 was nearly indestructible, the MT8 just crumbled...and he doesn't even do anything crazy. Steering servo is :poop: and the car appears rather unstable.
@fish sorry, didn't see your post :) you beat me to it.

What happeed is he beat the MT10 to a pulp and it took it. He thought the MT8 would be as tough. So he wanted to find out. Found out they are totally different.

I still want one over the 4s trucks that are out. Would set it up for 4s use only. Maybe 6s with better wheels and tires.

KT didn't like the MT8 at all. Not that I would jump it and land it on concrete like he does though. Most of us don't do that. Heck some of us don't even jump our rigs 😂

Are those servos garbage like the KT said?

Are those servos garbage like the KT said?
Not sure honestly. I'm just going from what I've seen on video. Also @razorrc has one and he reviewed it already. And he jumps more like most of us. He'll chime in for sure in a moment.

Servo’s fine, you just need to tighten the saver about one full turn because it’s too soft out of the box. Since KT didn’t mention it, I’m assuming he didn’t do it.

IMO a lot of channels really don’t understand RC cars that well. Another channel made the same comment about the truck and also didn’t tighten their saver. :rolleyes:

Servo’s fine, you just need to tighten the saver about one full turn because it’s too soft out of the box. Since KT didn’t mention it, I’m assuming he didn’t do it.

IMO a lot of channels really don’t understand RC cars that well. Another channel made the same comment about the truck and also didn’t tighten their saver. :rolleyes:
That’s what I figured.

Thanks for the clarification.

The front c hubs or whatever they're called look just like the kaiju on the front of the mt8, which are pretty fragile..RC makes some nice 7075 bits that would probably help the mt8 in durability? Axle carriers as well.
I swear if KT had taken the sludge and done the same, the tires would've blown off and almost certain front axle failure while trying to self right like he did with the mt8. Not hating, I do like the sludge, but it doesn't seem to be of traditional TRX quality in materials, axles at least.

The front c hubs or whatever they're called look just like the kaiju on the front of the mt8, which are pretty fragile..RC makes some nice 7075 bits that would probably help the mt8 in durability? Axle carriers as well.
I swear if KT had taken the sludge and done the same, the tires would've blown off and almost certain front axle failure while trying to self right like he did with the mt8. Not hating, I do like the sludge, but it doesn't seem to be of traditional TRX quality in materials, axles at least.

My Xmaxx stock tires have lasted since May of last year, and I’m not afraid to self right this big old girl. Meanwhile the tires on my Kraton 8sexB lasted about three runs of light bashing.

On edit, really feel like bringing Traxxas or Arrma into this thread is just silly. I think KTs viewers probably enjoyed the mt10 video where they beat it to death, and he hoped to recreate that magic.

My Xmaxx stock tires have lasted since May of last year, and I’m not afraid to self right this big old girl. Meanwhile the tires on my Kraton 8sexB lasted about three runs of light bashing.

On edit, really feel like bringing Traxxas or Arrma into this thread is just silly. I think KTs viewers probably enjoyed the mt10 video where they beat it to death, and he hoped to recreate that magic.
Well then, call me silly, I don't care.. I'll tell you this, something has either changed with the xmaxx tires/foams or you don't really self right the "big old girl" cuz both mine and my brothers xmaxx's have both debonded multiple tires from the wheels. As well as the foams turning to dust within 10 packs through the trucks, bone stock. We don't use the lazy-boy self righting either..
Guess what, same issues with the Maxx, Sludge and E Revo.. I do like all those rigs, but TRX tires and wheels in general are just rubbish.

Well then, call me silly, I don't care.. I'll tell you this, something has either changed with the xmaxx tires/foams or you don't really self right the "big old girl" cuz both mine and my brothers xmaxx's have both debonded multiple tires from the wheels. As well as the foams turning to dust within 10 packs through the trucks, bone stock. We don't use the lazy-boy self righting either..
Guess what, same issues with the Maxx, Sludge and E Revo.. I do like all those rigs, but TRX tires and wheels in general are just rubbish.
Something about the trx rubber they use on the tires. Idk what it is. I think it's designed for grip, like a softer rubber compound. But that comes with the by product of not being as durable. My buddy has had to reglue his xmaxx's tires several time over the past few weeks.

Something about the trx rubber they use on the tires. Idk what it is. I think it's designed for grip, like a softer rubber compound. But that comes with the by product of not being as durable. My buddy has had to reglue his xmaxx's tires several time over the past few weeks.
Of course these are just my experiences and opinions. I've been around rc's for many years and never seen as many failures from other manufacturers. Rant over✌

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back