Recommend me a battery charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm, note that the Hobbymate D6 is the older version of the Hota I posted above. But it’s a great choice, just less at the same price.

The S6 base version is $149 as well, the earlier link included balance stuff etc, highly recommended but not needed.

https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=113&product_id=447
Had my eye on this one for charging while out at my speed run spot. (12v DC charging)
Does anyone run ToolKit and have feedback on them?

It's amazingly nice looking and compact for the price $49.99

https://www.getfpv.com/toolkitrc-m8...c0c8Hl_FU69G29-orWkWAmL1Y3X3blQBoCOzkQAvD_BwE
Toolkit is very good as well, has some quirks and only 800mA balance current, but the size is great.
Keep in mind that the max input current will be 18A, at 12V that would be 216W, plenty for a single 6S but don't fall for the 400W.
Full power above 22V input.

just got this SkyRC. Too new to speak of durability, but build quality seems impressive. A pos powersupply may have damaged my old 300W Turnigy Reaktor (didn't want to use my good powersupplies from my ham radio equipment). Oh well, no PS needed for this beast.
View attachment 254332
20221105_084317.jpg

Last edited:
just got this SkyRC. Too new to speak of durability, but build quality seems impressive. A pos powersupply may have damaged my old 300W Turnigy Reaktor (didn't want to use my good powersupplies from my ham radio equipment). Oh well, no PS needed for this beast.
View attachment 254332View attachment 254504
Thanks for the post up.

It seems like the next class of charger above the hota d6 pro

I’ve got my eye on the isdt k4. I think my 6s infraction is thirsty enough to justify. On AC it has 200W per channel.
It’s 2 channel and a qualified power supply will give 600 watts per channel (I think)

. I currently have an i charger x6 and a power supply that can’t match its full capability. It only has one channel and it’s beefy enough to parallel charge the 3s8800mah batteries for the infraction at maybe 1.4C. I’ve discovered I Dislike parallel charging. I’ve shorted things multiple times including my mishap with my new SMC batteries.

Last edited:
. I currently have an i charger x6 and a power supply that can’t match its full capability. It only has one channel and it’s beefy enough to parallel charge the 3s8800mah batteries for the infraction at maybe 1.4C. I’ve discovered I Dislike parallel charging. I’ve shorted things multiple times including my mishap with my new SMC batteries.
Would you mind elaborating? I don't do parallel charging myself but I am curious about what the problems are that you've encountered.

The main thing is that it is a bit more complicated with extra steps. They’re not hard. It’s quite simple really. But you need to be a little more careful and organized.

I am messy and easily distracted. I don’t like cleaning so it is easily to become a bit more disorganized.

Parallel charging can be great but I’ve decided it’s not for me if I can help it.

Alll of my problems have come from shorting my connections. Either a banana plug slipping out when I was pulling at stuff, connecting the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or even dropping a metal tool on the balance board.

Parallel charging is pretty simple. But you just can’t be a moron or overly distracted. The harness would be better for me rather than the charge board.

34D81957-E497-44DA-A4C0-6FA4BD3AA63C.jpeg

Thanks for the post up.

It seems like the next class of charger above the hota d6 pro
Actually more expensive ($50) and technology from the old ages of lipo charging.
No doubt it will work, but that menu selection is just horrible imho.

The main thing is that it is a bit more complicated with extra steps. They’re not hard. It’s quite simple really. But you need to be a little more careful and organized.

I am messy and easily distracted. I don’t like cleaning so it is easily to become a bit more disorganized.

Parallel charging can be great but I’ve decided it’s not for me if I can help it.

Alll of my problems have come from shorting my connections. Either a banana plug slipping out when I was pulling at stuff, connecting the wrong thing in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or even dropping a metal tool on the balance board.

Parallel charging is pretty simple. But you just can’t be a moron or overly distracted. The harness would be better for me rather than the charge board.

View attachment 254738
I would only recommend using an ISDT or JB balance board. I have the JB. They are fused properly. But I use it very infrequently. I have several Dual chargers, so Bal boards not needed.
If you use a Bull Crap Bal. board, they will catch fire. Been there. A Freebie Chinese Bal board that came with my SkyRC B6 AC v2 bundle.
The above Bal board, looks like a nightmare waiting to happen.♨️

My recent Charger is my ISDT K2 AIr. With a PSU. Very happy so far. Have it like 4 months now. Used alot. My primary go to charger.
Along with my D6 Duo Pros. One of them ( Oldest) is getting tired. The scroll wheel is finicky.

Last edited:

View attachment 254738
It's because of those exposed t plugs/Dean's connectors. Wont happen with EC3/EC5. I COULD have an issue with the banana plugs touching each other with the power on/batteries plugged in but I'm careful with that.

I would only recommend using an ISDT or JB balance board. I have the JB. They are fused properly. But I use it very infrequently. I have several Dual chargers, so Bal boards not needed.
If you use a Bull Crap Bal. board, they will catch fire. Been there. A Freebie Chinese Bal board that came with my SkyRC B6 AC v2 bundle.
The above Bal board, looks like a nightmare waiting to happen.♨️

My recent Charger is my ISDT K2 AIr. With a PSU. Very happy so far. Have it like 4 months now. Used alot. My primary go to charger.
Along with my D6 Duo Pros. One of them ( Oldest) is getting tired. The scroll wheel is finicky.
The ISDT balance board is top notch. I have one (even though I don't use it). I bought at a time when I thought I would. After buying the P20 I realized that I just didn't really need it, but I keep it around just in case I come up with a use for it.

The ISDT balance board is top notch. I have one (even though I don't use it). I bought at a time when I thought I would. After buying the P20 I realized that I just didn't really need it, but I keep it around just in case I come up with a use for it.
I've been using Paraboards (now version 3) from RCBuddy. They are made in the USA. I know my v3 has 40A fuses.

I've been using Paraboards (now version 3) from RCBuddy. They are made in the USA. I know my v3 has 40A fuses.
i ought to check out the new tech. Ya my stuff is ancient for sure and the main reason Ive had troubles.

Actually more expensive ($50) and technology from the old ages of lipo charging.
No doubt it will work, but that menu selection is just horrible imh

I agree. What do you guys think of the K4? Or recommend an alternative?

i ought to check out the new tech. Ya my stuff is ancient for sure and the main reason Ive had troubles.

I agree. What do you guys think of the K4? Or recommend an alternative?
I don't have a K4, but I do have a P20 and love it. ISDT makes great kit imho, so I'd say you can't really go wrong with it. Surely someone who owns one can either validate or refute this assumption.

My reasoning on the k4 is that the AC side is powerful enough for my current needs. the P30 is great, which is something I had considered, but then my weak link is my PS, which would need to be upgraded. If I'm gonna go that route, I'm better off with the k4 since it meets my needs now, and upgrading the PS down the line as needed. Further, I like the AC/DC since i can just bring the single unit if I need to go portable.

my needs now are to be able to charge 2 batteries, 8000mah-10000mah 3s at 2C.

Just one thing, in general, if you have to ask how to parallel charge, you shouldn't be doing it.
Always ok to ask for best hardware, but with parallel charging the chance of failure is significant higher if you do not know exactly what you are doing and why.

Josh Bardwell Videos are probably the best for learning how to charge lipos correctly and understanding why it should be done correctly.
He is a Quad guy. But his knowledge of Lipos is immense. Knows electrical fundamentals. Good place to start if you are a newb.

Thsi among the best Bal Boards out there.

Josh Bardwell Videos are probably the best for learning how to charge lipos correctly and understanding why it should be done correctly.
He is a Quad guy. But his knowledge of Lipos is immense. Knows electrical fundamentals. Good place to start if you are a newb.

Thsi among the best Bal Boards out there.

That first video was the one I watched to learn about parallel charging :)

A quad friend of mine met up with Josh Bardwell and the owner of Racedayquads. in D.C. to fight the FCC ruling on Quad restrictions for Hobbyists.
JB is just like you see him on YT.

Back