Recommend me a battery charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention, the fans on both the Hota and Spektrum chargers chattered right out of the box on day one. They both quiet down after a couple minutes, or until I get irritated and start banging on them, LOL.
No big deal though, fans are cheap and easy to replace. I just picked up 10, 35x10mm fans off amazon for $20. Should satisfy my fan needs for a while on my rigs. Not sure what's inside these chargers. Once they go silent I'll crack them open and see.

Don't look at price (only secondary). If you have 6S or larger capacity 4S, you need 150W/channel to get a decent charge time.
The charger labelling is very confusing, where they add Ch1+Ch2 and call it 150W, but that ends up in 75W/channel.

Look at:
a) power per channel (min. 150W)
b) balance current (min. 1A)
c) price
d) DC capability if you plan on buying a DC supply, those ratings are always higher than AC

On fans, yes, the PWM control is a little annoying at low temps. For me, it acts as a reminder that charging is close to being done.
Normal functionality though.

My powerhobby charger fans are pretty load. Only bothers the wife🤦‍♀️🤷‍♂️. AD1 is absolutely silent, I can forget I'm chraging.

Don't look at price (only secondary). If you have 6S or larger capacity 4S, you need 150W/channel to get a decent charge time.
The charger labelling is very confusing, where they add Ch1+Ch2 and call it 150W, but that ends up in 75W/channel.

Look at:
a) power per channel (min. 150W)
b) balance current (min. 1A)
c) price
d) DC capability if you plan on buying a DC supply, those ratings are always higher than AC

On fans, yes, the PWM control is a little annoying at low temps. For me, it acts as a reminder that charging is close to being done.
Normal functionality though.
Good advise there.. what is PWM? I find it comical as to what triggers the fan on the Hota..after a charge has completed and I disconnect the power wires, with balance leads still connected, the fan comes on?🤔🤷‍♂️

Pulse Width Modulation, a means to control fan speed. Fan speed is based on temperature and looks like they have the sensors close to the fans i.e. if you are at a threshold temperature it turns it on but immediately pushes it below that threshold again, and you get that whoo-whoo sound (higher to lower rpm).
Not as annoying as I make it out to be, love my chargers and only an issue when I go from low to storage charge or small lipos.

Anyone with any experience with the SkyRC T200? Can anyone recommend or stay away?
Screenshot_20230702_105249_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Pulse Width Modulation, a means to control fan speed. Fan speed is based on temperature and looks like they have the sensors close to the fans i.e. if you are at a threshold temperature it turns it on but immediately pushes it below that threshold again, and you get that whoo-whoo sound (higher to lower rpm).
Not as annoying as I make it out to be, love my chargers and only an issue when I go from low to storage charge or small lipos.
At 105F both my fans throttle On regardless of which channel is running at 105F +degrees. (ISDT)
My D6 Pro and my ISDT K2 Air both throttle as needed.

Same thing with my Powerhobby H200AC/DC DUO, fans sound angry ready to eat something!.And EV-Peak AD1 Dual charger, fans are too quiet!

I'm sure there's info on here.... But I figure I'd throw this question out there again. I'm an oldie who's becoming a newbie again. Im currently using the old MRC rb 465 charger from the days of late 80's early 90's.
Looking for a charger that will do my Nimh packs and the LiPo's I will eventually have!!!
What do you guys suggest?
Thanks!

How to choose an RC LiPo charger
I'm running a EV peak CQ3. It's been an amazing charger and haven't had a battery that I couldn't charge on it. Plus I can discharge my batteries for storage.

I have a Hota D6+ that's been acting up on me and has killed a few lipos (on at least one channel, the other channel might still be okay). I'm not sure whether I should continue to trust the remaining channel that seems to still be working. I also have my lowly 50w B6AC as my backup charger - slow, but solid and true since 2015.

Should I:
a) buy another Hota (I think the S6 is the latest?) because this was a fluke and I had bad luck? (rough because i'm still sour over the current Hota)
b) buy another AC capable charger? (top choice is Imars D300, or another sub $150 option)
c) invest in a power supply and DC charger? (most expensive option, but expandable and more charger options to get 150w+ per channel)
d) keep diagnosing my current Hota and try to resurrect it, and just use the B6ac in the mean time? (Would suck for charging my 6s and 4s bricks in the meantime)

I hate decisions like this these because none of the options are preferred, and I thought I had already done the "buy once cry once" with the Hota D6+. But my hota's channel 2 is laughing at me from the grave ⚰️

I have a Hota D6+ that's been acting up on me and has killed a few lipos (on at least one channel, the other channel might still be okay). I'm not sure whether I should continue to trust the remaining channel that seems to still be working. I also have my lowly 50w B6AC as my backup charger - slow, but solid and true since 2015.

Should I:
a) buy another Hota (I think the S6 is the latest?) because this was a fluke and I had bad luck? (rough because i'm still sour over the current Hota)
b) buy another AC capable charger? (top choice is Imars D300, or another sub $150 option)
c) invest in a power supply and DC charger? (most expensive option, but expandable and more charger options to get 150w+ per channel)
d) keep diagnosing my current Hota and try to resurrect it, and just use the B6ac in the mean time? (Would suck for charging my 6s and 4s bricks in the meantime)

I hate decisions like this these because none of the options are preferred, and I thought I had already done the "buy once cry once" with the Hota D6+. But my hota's channel 2 is laughing at me from the grave ⚰️
That's a tough call. How long have you had the D6? I thought about a DC charger but, really doesn't make sense for me. I don't need that much power. Gens seems a reputable brand. Maybe give it a go?

That's a tough call. How long have you had the D6? I thought about a DC charger but, really doesn't make sense for me. I don't need that much power. Gens seems a reputable brand. Maybe give it a go?
Since feb 2021. Which yeah 2-1/2 years is a while, but I haven't really been pushing this thing hard, so I would have expected it to last quite a bit longer. Like 5 or 6 years? Is that too much to ask? :LOL:

Since feb 2021. Which yeah 2-1/2 years is a while, but I haven't really been pushing this thing hard, so I would have expected it to last quite a bit longer. Like 5 or 6 years? Is that too much to ask? :LOL:
Definitely premature IMO. I'd like to say it's a fluke. They have a solid reputation as far as I know. I'd be bitter too though. I say either S6 or IMARS.
On sale still, 129.99!! 😎

View attachment 314957
I have one of these, it's okay, not great. I really don't care for the touch wheel or user interface myself. There's a crapton of failure reports online too. Maybe just due to volume of sales, IDK. A bit pricey for 200watts though when compared to Hota or Gens. If I were looking at a new Spektrum, S2200. I think it has 400 watts. Too expensive for me though,LOL. ✌

Last edited:
Definitely premature IMO. I'd like to say it's a fluke. They have a solid reputation as far as I know. I'd be bitter too though. I say either S6 or IMARS.

I have one of these, it's okay, not great. I really don't care for the touch wheel or user interface myself. There's a crapton of failure reports online too. Maybe just due to volume of sales, IDK. A bit pricey for 200watts though when compared to Hota or Gens. If I were looking at a new Spektrum, S2200. I think it has 400 watts. Too expensive for me though,LOL. ✌
It's awesome, quit BS.. way better than a Hota or idst.. imo anyway!!💯 I will never buy another one!!🥳

What's the symptom?
The Hota has 2 independent channels, i.e. it will work fine on the other until it doesn't.
I assume you have done the reset and self test, it's part of the system menu.

I have 2 running and no issues. Hota probably builds all the other chargers, i.e. there won't be a difference in build quality. I'd buy them again.

Do you use it to discharge or storage charge batteries?

Back