Recommend me a battery charger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ammo can. Be aware though - If you decide to get an ammo can, remove the seals before storing the batteries in it. Otherwise if a battery decides that it wants to be a little flammable, the box could end up causing a fire when the lid blows off.
Yep, I watched a video and the guy forgot to take the seal out when he was testing them and that ammo can flew to the moon.

ISDT makes great chargers. Shame they could die off as Spektrum expands. Are your batteries capable of that kind of charge rate? I'm a big baby when it comes to the charge rate on my batteries haha. Great setup though.
Yep they are 9500mah 4S packs so 20A is only barely above 2C. Max charge rate is 5C, which would be 47.5A.

Ended up using some 8awg low strand wire I had on hand. I didn’t have enough of the high strand stuff I had. I think this will be ok. These will be wall mounted and won’t likely ever travel. I 3D printed the wall brackets and used dual lock to hold the chargers.

View attachment 141605View attachment 141606View attachment 141607
View attachment 141610
View attachment 141611
Dual lock is neat stuff but we found the adhesive backing wouldn't hold up to heat when mounted vertically. This was with an set top box hanging from the back of a tv.

Dual lock is neat stuff but we found the adhesive backing wouldn't hold up to heat when mounted vertically. This was with an set top box hanging from the back of a tv.
I use it for work mounting devices in network racks or outdoor enclosures. Also for the back of TVs. Never had it fail yet. We used to use industrial Velcro, but is harder to remove things. Dual lock holds well for stationary objects. Velcro does better for things that move.

I use it for work mounting devices in network racks or outdoor enclosures. Also for the back of TVs. Never had it fail yet. We used to use industrial Velcro, but is harder to remove things. Dual lock holds well for stationary objects. Velcro does better for things that move.
Interesting, they completely abandoned the use of it and got a plastic bracket made to go on the back of the TV. Though it's possible the STB was a bit too heavy for the application. Pretty sure LG included two 3" pieces but it just didn't hold up for us.

Interesting, they completely abandoned the use of it and got a plastic bracket made to go on the back of the TV. Though it's possible the STB was a bit too heavy for the application. Pretty sure LG included two 3" pieces but it just didn't hold up for us.
I bought a 100ft roll from Digikey. It doesn’t hold quite as hard as industrial Velcro, but I haven’t had the adhesive fail yet. 👍🏻

ISDT makes great chargers. Shame they could die off as Spektrum expands. Are your batteries capable of that kind of charge rate? I'm a big baby when it comes to the charge rate on my batteries haha. Great setup though.
My isdt q6 pro is really flaky, especially if I charge at over 10A. It just freaks out and throws errors after about 15 minutes or so. I forget what the last error was. I've only used the thing like 5-10 times since I bought it. Between that and it's very low discharge rate... not sure I'll buy another from them.

My isdt q6 pro is really flaky, especially if I charge at over 10A. It just freaks out and throws errors after about 15 minutes or so. I forget what the last error was. I've only used the thing like 5-10 times since I bought it. Between that and it's very low discharge rate... not sure I'll buy another from them.

Strange, never had an issue. Granted, I was charging much lower capacity airsoft LiPos on an SC608 (so not near 10A). Never had to storage discharge my airsoft batteries, was always going the whole day haha.

Anybody have experience with the ISDT D2 charger? Any good charging 2 3s 6000mah lipos? I need a new charger ASAP

Anybody have experience with the ISDT D2 charger? Any good charging 2 3s 6000mah lipos? I need a new charger ASAP

The D2 will charge two 3S batteries at close to 9A per channel. So you'll be able to charge a pair of 6000mAh lipos at 1C no problem.

I have the ISDT K2 which is more or less the same as the D2 and it's been great for me. I've owned a lot of chargers and this has been the best thus far.

I have the ISDT K2 which is more or less the same as the D2 and it's been great for me. I've owned a lot of chargers and this has been the best thus far.
Good news!!! Ok, does it come with charging leads? Or do I have to get those separately? I am new to the lipo world. I have no problem soldering anything...

No leads included.

You'll need an adaptor from your battery plug (assuming IC5 / EC5) to XT60.

upxt6ec5.jpg

Any reason you're looking at the D2?

No leads included.

You'll need an adaptor from your battery plug (assuming IC5 / EC5) to XT60.

View attachment 144617
Any reason you're looking at the D2?
Looks like the brand was recommended a few times in this thread and my traxxas charger is wayyyyy too slow. I also want the capability of charging 2 3s to 6s when my son gets an Arrma. Do the balance plugs go into the front of this unit?

Yes. On the front are 2 x XT60 connectors and 2 x balance ports. You can simply connect the balance plug of the battery directly into the charger or alternatively you can purchase a balance board which breaks out into all the different balance plugs from 2S to 6S. I find this unnecessary and just connect the balance plugs directly to the charger.

images (16).jpeg

The D2 is a great charger however you will always be limited to 200W of power. This can be 200W on a single channel or obviously if using both channels at once you'll be restricted to 100W per channel.

This means regarding 6S batteries, you can charge at 9A if charging a single battery at a time or 4.5A for two batteries at once.

This is why I purchased the K2. It has the same power capabilities as the D2 when charging via AC power or you can choose to power it via an external DC power supply - meaning you can reach up to 500W per channel pending how powerful your DC power supply is.

I actually use an ISDT SP2417 PSU which is a 400W 24V PSU. This means I can double my charging capacity from 100W per channel to 200W per channel.

images (15).jpeg

There a a ton of options available to you. If you don't need AC power you could go with something like the ISDT P20 and use it with a DC power supply of your choice.

Yes. On the front are 2 x XT60 connectors and 2 x balance ports. You can simply connect the balance plug of the battery directly into the charger or alternatively you can purchase a balance board which breaks out into all the different balance plugs from 2S to 6S. I find this unnecessary and just connect the balance plugs directly to the charger.

View attachment 144632

The D2 is a great charger however you will always be limited to 200W of power. This can be 200W on a single channel or obviously if using both channels at once you'll be restricted to 100W per channel.

This means regarding 6S batteries, you can charge at 9A if charging a single battery at a time or 4.5A for two batteries at once.

This is why I purchased the K2. It has the same power capabilities as the D2 when charging via AC power or you can choose to power it via an external DC power supply - meaning you can reach up to 500W per channel pending how powerful your DC power supply is.

I actually use an ISDT SP2417 PSU which is a 400W 24V PSU. This means I can double my charging capacity from 100W per channel to 200W per channel.

View attachment 144631

There a a ton of options available to you. If you don't need AC power you could go with something like the ISDT P20 and use it with a DC power supply of your choice.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write that. It makes more sense to me now how to up the charging power with the additional PSU. I guess I will check out the ISDT line and pick one that meets my needs. I will take a look at the one you have and It could help me be future proof for when I get more tech savvy with the lipo batteries.

I'm looking for some help on choosing a charger so I can charge two batteries at the same time. I only had time to charge one battery last time and was left wanting more!

I'm coming from quadcopters where I fly micro quads and have a ToolkitRC M6. It runs of a modified laptop PSU to XT60, which is rated at 90W / 20V output and it working great but limited to one battery at a time.

My car is a Big Rock, so 5000mah 3s batteries.

Choices so far
- I have a spare laptop PSU, converted to XT60, so I could get another ToolkitRC M6 pretty cheaply and run two setups.
- The ToolKit RC M6D looks good and will charge two batteries off one PSU but I can't see an advantage over two singles and the PSU load will be higher, but should cope with two 3s at 5amp.
- Or the most expensive, get a dual charger like an Overlander/SkyRC D100 with built in PSU.

What do you think?

I've read the entire thread twice and still a bit confused!

As I see it a 3s 5000mah pack takes between 55 and 63 W to charge at 1C (4.2v x 3s x 5a).
D100 is limited to 50W per channel so I'll only get dual charging at 4 amps when near full so charges take longer.
I often get a chance to 'grab and go' so want the fastest safe charge.

Now looking at the SkyRC T200 or even D260 to get full charge rate per channel. I prefer the form factor of the D260 but it's another big jump in cost.

Back