Recommend Me An Entry Level Crawler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Mojave
  7. Senton 3s
  8. Typhon 3s
Never thought I'd say this, as I'd been anti-crawler for a very long time lol...but I'm looking for recommendations for a fairly inexpensive entry level 12th scale or 10th scale crawler. I'm not really into crawling, but my 2 y/o daughter likes to chase my cars around, and I would also like something I can putt around the living room with. The smoothness and low speed control of a crawler seems like it would be the best vehicle for achieving this. I've seen some some SCX 10 rollers for a fairly reasonable price, but I've never put together a crawler build before some Im a little hesitant to go that route, but I've wrenched on & built plenty convential/Arrma rigs. Any advice on a 10th scale or 12th scale fairly inexpensive rig would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Never thought I'd say this, as I'd been anti-crawler for a very long time lol...but I'm looking for recommendations for a fairly inexpensive entry level 12th scale or 10th scale crawler. I'm not really into crawling, but my 2 y/o daughter likes to chase my cars around, and I would also like something I can putt around the living room with. The smoothness and low speed control of a crawler seems like it would be the best vehicle for achieving this. I've seen some some SCX 10 rollers for a fairly reasonable price, but I've never put together a crawler build before some Im a little hesitant to go that route, but I've wrenched on & built plenty convential/Arrma rigs. Any advice on a 10th scale or 12th scale fairly inexpensive rig would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
If you have wrenched on an arrma you can build the axial kit not much different no fancy diff locks or anything. But that’s just my take on it

For an inexpensive 1/10 starting crawler , this is a great performer. ELEMENT ENDURO SE

For playing around indoors I would suggest the FMS FCX24 Power Wagon...It's 1/18 even though it says it's 1/24. It has two speeds lights etc, a really nice rig.

I never thought I would like crawlers but I love them! (y)

Element any model

TRX4

Scx10ii or iii any model

Any or these world be a good choice and lots of support. The scx10ii builders kit is super ez to build buy the way. My 11 year old has done one.

Trust me this will not be your only crawler buy this time best year. They are addictive 🤩

Thanks for all the input guys. So far, all of the answers here have coincided with my research..the SCX 10, Element, FMS & TRX 4 (personal feelings towards Traxxas aside lol) are the top picks. That deal @Senton_Prime mentioned is absolutely killer for sure! That would be a hard one to pass up. I kind of wouldn't mind going the kit or roller route route, as building is very satisfying like @ChemEng stated.

Thanks for all the input guys. So far, all of the answers here have coincided with my research..the SCX 10, Element, FMS & TRX 4 (personal feelings towards Traxxas aside lol) are the top picks. That deal @Senton_Prime mentioned is absolutely killer for sure! That would be a hard one to pass up. I kind of wouldn't mind going the kit or roller route route, as building is very satisfying like @ChemEng stated.
image.jpg

I have 2 on the bench as we speak

I seen these as well.. wonder how upgradable the elements are @Doom! I need to see what the crawler hype is all about!! 🤣
The Elements have decent aftermarket support. Lots of custom bits and peices are available. (y) I know Traxxas, Axial and Vanqish get all the hype, but bang for the buck I'm impressed with Element's crawlers.

I have a couple Element trucks and one TRX4. I like the Elements a little more.

If you’re looking for a deal, check out the Gatekeeper. Element is not a price-controlling manufacturer so the monthly coupon codes work at either Tower or Amain.

1682820490217.png

1682820548326.png

Last edited:
I have a couple Element trucks and one TRX4. I like the Elements a little more.

If you’re looking for a deal, check out the Gatekeeper. Element is not a price-controlling manufacturer so the monthly coupon codes work at either Tower or Amain.

View attachment 296399
The Gatekeeper definitely looks like something I'd be interested in. Seems to be good at crawling and slow movements, but still offering speed & light bashing capabilities 🤔 Price with that coupon is one heck heckuva deal as well.

Check out the UTB18 as well. Advertised as 1/18 but it's more like 1/14 and can fit 1/10 scale stuff. Has a lot of aftermarket too. It's so fun, love my little Capra.

View attachment 296417

Will do, heard many good things about this rig as well. Thanks 👍

I own and built over 10 crawlers- get a vanquish phoenix kit. It's a fun build, cool transmission with overdrive and dig, the frame is very stiff, and the axles are super high quality and upgradable. My 4 year old son, 2 year old daughter, and wife all have phoenixes.

I have an SCX1O.iii and a TF2. Now these may be a tad much for "entry level". But if you like complex setups, get one. However, I see "entry level" as "cheap just to try for now". In that case, look at the Redcats. Cheap. And almost just as good without the complexity. Guys can knock Redcat all they want but I go out regularly with crawling groups. I've seen every manner of high end, absurdly upgraded crawlers. And I've also see Redcats not only keep up, but hold their own.

am somewhat similar, never into crawlers or the scale thing.

Came across the Hobbywing Axe esc/motor and had to have it, always wanted actual speed control.

decided on trx4 to put it in.

again not "into" crawling or scale stuff....but this set up is SO satisfying to use.

just yesterday crawling on rocks with it for first time....diffs were all locked and tires were getting bound up, slowly twisting and motor not giving, eventually the rock broke crumbled apart and the trx4 just carried on with it's slow crawl....was just perfect scale "scene".

the system is so good, the servo now stands out as silly loud fast and just overall breaks the "realism" a bit too much. lol

It is so quiet I can here the springs in the shocks sometimes, and little twigs and stuff cracking as it drives over, with normal pwm motor is too noisy at such slow speeds (if even possible given terrain / torque needed).

again am someone who isn't normally interested in RC looks, body is for protecting. interest is primarily in the little mechanical bits, power of system, adding electronic things ect.

and here I am spending a stoopid amount for a k5 blazer body, light kit. choosing the smaller scale wheel/tires over bigger ones lol

Is also legitimately surprising what the trx4 can crawl over.

The sport version is all that is needed for good crawler platform and obviously options for upgrading.

Last edited:
I have an SCX1O.iii and a TF2. Now these may be a tad much for "entry level". But if you like complex setups, get one. However, I see "entry level" as "cheap just to try for now". In that case, look at the Redcats. Cheap. And almost just as good without the complexity. Guys can knock Redcat all they want but I go out regularly with crawling groups. I've seen every manner of high end, absurdly upgraded crawlers. And I've also see Redcats not only keep up, but hold their own.
I wouldn't go to Redcat for a basher, but I'd give them a shot for an entry level crawler. As you stated, this is more of a "cheap just to try for now" type of deal. Redcat has a Gen 7 Everest on sale for $199.99. What are your thoughts on that rig? I'm sure it's more than capable for anything I plan on doing at this point.
am somewhat similar, never into crawlers or the scale thing.

Came across the Hobbywing Axe esc/motor and had to have it, always wanted actual speed control.

decided on trx4 to put it in.

again not "into" crawling or scale stuff....but this set up is SO satisfying to use.

just yesterday crawling on rocks with it for first time....diffs were all locked and tires were getting bound up, slowly twisting and motor not giving, eventually the rock broke crumbled apart and the trx4 just carried on with it's slow crawl....was just perfect scale "scene".

the system is so good, the servo now stands out as silly loud fast and just overall breaks the "realism" a bit too much. lol

It is so quiet I can here the springs in the shocks sometimes, and little twigs and stuff cracking as it drives over, with normal pwm motor is too noisy at such slow speeds (if even possible given terrain / torque needed).

again am someone who isn't normally interested in RC looks, body is for protecting. interest is primarily in the little mechanical bits, power of system, adding electronic things ect.

and here I am spending a stoopid amount for a k5 blazer body, light kit. choosing the smaller scale wheel/tires over bigger ones lol

Is also legitimately surprising what the trx4 can crawl over.

The sport version is all that is needed for good crawler platform and obviously options for upgrading.

Personal feelings aside, Traxxas absolutely knocks it out the park with their scale bodies, I think the scaleness of crawlers is definitely cool. I have a couple TRX4 chasis on my watchlist in case I decide to go that route lol. Btw, the articulation and movements of the Blazer in your video are 1:1 life-like :eek:

Last edited:
I have an Element Knightrunner, a TRX-4 Defender, a Redcat Gen8 Scout, an SCX10.2 1955 Ford F100, and a Rochobby 1/6 scale 1941 Willys Jeep. They have all been upgraded with brushless motors and ESCs, with Fusion 1800 and Fusion Pro 2200 motors being the most prevalent upgrade. Of all of them, I like the SCX10.2 the most: it seems nimbler, and it has great aftermarket support. My TRX-4 falls right behind it as my second favorite.

SCX10.2 1955 Ford F100.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back