Kraton EXB - recommend me some electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I you don't want overkill power then the stock system will be fine, just keep an eye out on the temps :)

There's definitely a difference in power and especially temps. It will pop wheelies at higher speed etc. The 1650kv is bigger and therefore has more torque. But if you're happy with the stock system, then stay with that, there is nothing wrong with it. With a better ESC you will also have the chance to up the BEC voltage to run HV servos :)
For now i am happy ? but probably if i try other systems i would be surprised, and see a difference between them...i think for now i will stick with v4 and upgrade with some exb parts...but later hmmm who knows ?

I’d like to hear opinions on the spektrum set up. I run spektrum lipos and charger and like the whole intelligent thing.

was also considering an 8S set up in my 6S.

much as I like the EXB, be already gone beyondmost of its upgrades.

will add in the extra bits when they are available.
If you like the Spektrum Smart stuff I would get the Firma 160 it's basically a rebranded Max6 with all the telemetry.. and for the motor just get the HW 1650. The telemetry shpuld work with it too, as far as I know.
With all the different programming procedures and beeps and flashes combinations of the various esc manufacturers it would be nice for me to stick with a single or couple brands to “wrap me head” around esc programming. Also, it would be nice to limit the number of programming “devices” I’ve got as well!!!

I get higher BEC is very helpful, I get higher current ESC’s keep the esc temp down, I get lower KV motors have a lower back emf and run more torque at lower speeds but are rpm too end limited.... all this said, for general bashing I want to pop wheelies on demand from any speed yet also have ludicrous speed available! An impossible oxymoron statement I realize, so the question becomes, what’s the sweet spot for motor KV where the drive train and shocks and chassis can handle everything thrown at it from the powerplant / ESC pushing both torque and speed limits while not melting and breaking things all the time?

let’s keep this thread active!!!!
As already said there are two major brands out there, Hobbywing and Castle. Hobbywing is more affordable and has great power/value. But if you want to have the best possible setup, I would recommend Castle. They are more powerful and the MMX8s for example will run cooler and you also have the option to run sensored (which is super smooth). As far as programming goes the HW ESCs have a decent amount of options to change but with the Castle ESCs you have Castle Link (PC Software) and this allows you to change everything to your liking. It's probably more than you'll ever need.
I personally prefer Castle, although I have both brands in all my cars, but the majority is Castle.

If you want a really powerful system for a Kraton and money isn't an issue, than get the MMX8s with the 1717.

Last edited:
Where are you guys getting the Castle MMX8s/1717 combos? They always seem to be sold out/backorder everywhere...
I placed a backorder for mine. I recently did a backorder for just an MMX8S and it shipped within a few weeks. I don’t have a firm eta on the EXB either, so I may have time. I have an MMX8S on the way right now that I could throw in the EXB instead with the Spektrum 1250kv can you get by. I also have a spare BLX185/2050kv combo that could get used in a pinch too. I have a TP4050CM in transit too, but that’s going in the Typhon.

The spektrums aren’t sensored then? And I assume that means changing motor recommendations since that’s not sensored either

why is everyone suggesting the same lower speed motor than the stock one in the BLX?

final question, does anyone make a receiver/speedo with gps built in that transmits the speed to the transmitter via telemetry?

The spektrums aren’t sensored then? And I assume that means changing motor recommendations since that’s not sensored either

why is everyone suggesting the same lower speed motor than the stock one in the BLX?

final question, does anyone make a receiver/speedo with gps built in that transmits the speed to the transmitter via telemetry?
We are using a lower KV can so we can run 8S. If you want to stick with 6S, then stay around the 2000kv range.

Where are you guys getting the Castle MMX8s/1717 combos? They always seem to be sold out/backorder everywhere...
Amain has the combo in stock but if you just want the motor it’s back ordered.

We are using a lower KV can so we can run 8S. If you want to stick with 6S, then stay around the 2000kv range.

so it’s not a question of getting a 1/5 size motor with more torque and just gearing it up to get the speed back that you lose?

Are there any negatives to running the Max6 with 1650KV on 6s compared to the stock K6 ESC and motor on 6s? Plan to run mine on 6s and trying to decide if the Max6 combo is better to get than the stock K6 setup.

Are there any negatives to running the Max6 with 1650KV on 6s compared to the stock K6 ESC and motor on 6s? Plan to run mine on 6s and trying to decide if the Max6 combo is better to get than the stock K6 setup.
It's actually great on 6s, 8s will be mental :D. You just need to gear it up slightly for 6s, I would recommend a 20t.

so it’s not a question of getting a 1/5 size motor with more torque and just gearing it up to get the speed back that you lose?
I want something that won’t get hot. So I’m going with the MMX8S which I know works great for my speed run cars staying cool. Then I want the 1717 for the sensored output. I like the ability to take off without cogging like my non-sensored motors.

I am looking for a recommendation for running mainly on grass and gravel - good motor/esc combo - would like to run mostly on grass and keep temps low if possible. not looking for speed runs or super high performance, just basic bashing -what's my best bet on electronics?

I am looking for a recommendation for running mainly on grass and gravel - good motor/esc combo - would like to run mostly on grass and keep temps low if possible. not looking for speed runs or super high performance, just basic bashing -what's my best bet on electronics?
Best ESC for a cool motor I’ve seen is the MMX8S. I’ve said this so many time I should get a commission from Castle.

So, @jondilly1974 what esc do you think I should use in my EXB... ????
This one is in stock now ??????????
94FAD968-F53E-419E-84DB-91FD202648F9.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back