Kraton EXB - recommend me some electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.. I'm a bit out of the loop.

I'm sorted in terms of servo i think, i'm slightly puzzled in regards to ESC/Motor. I intend to run it on 6s exclusively.

I like the 1717/MMX8s, but admittedly, it's quite steep in price (it's $516 over here) - and probably quite some overkill. I was interested in the Hobbystar 4092, which you can't get anywhere in europe (or the US for that matter?) as it seems, so that one's out too.

I don't mind spending money for quality, but at over $500 for a (in my case) 6s system, i'm not sure if it's a bit overkill. What would be other "go-to" combos that manage heat at least decently? Max6/4985 combo, i've read somewhere that people got temps up to 190F, is that indeed what i'd have to expect (and, would the motor actually mount to the motor plate without modification somewhere)?

I was always humming and awing over the Kraton, but with the EXB the time has come to pull the trigger. Could someone point me to the best 6s setup, and maybe the second best too - prior to this truck, i've only ever run 4s and 8s RCs, so i got no idea? Bonuspoints if the suggested motor is compatible with a fan shroud.

4092 1650kv would be an option, Surpass Rocket (seems to be very similar, if not the same as the Hobbystar oO)? What pinion would go with that, 21t?

Last edited:
So.. I'm a bit out of the loop.

I'm sorted in terms of servo i think, i'm slightly puzzled in regards to ESC/Motor. I intend to run it on 6s exclusively.

I like the 1717/MMX8s, but admittedly, it's quite steep in price (it's $516 over here) - and probably quite some overkill. I was interested in the Hobbystar 4092, which you can't get anywhere in europe (or the US for that matter?) as it seems, so that one's out too.

I don't mind spending money for quality, but at over $500 for a (in my case) 6s system, i'm not sure if it's a bit overkill. What would be other "go-to" combos that manage heat at least decently? Max6/4985 combo, i've read somewhere that people got temps up to 190F, is that indeed what i'd have to expect (and, would the motor actually mount to the motor plate without modification somewhere)?

I was always humming and awing over the Kraton, but with the EXB the time has come to pull the trigger. Could someone point me to the best 6s setup, and maybe the second best too - prior to this truck, i've only ever run 4s and 8s RCs, so i got no idea? Bonuspoints if the suggested motor is compatible with a fan shroud.

4092 1650kv would be an option, Surpass Rocket (seems to be very similar, if not the same as the Hobbystar oO)? What pinion would go with that, 21t?
If you live in Europe get the Max6 combo, here in Germany it's around 240€ you could also get the Max6 and the Surpass Rocket Motor but I have no idea how well they perform. Pinion wise I would go with a 20/21t with both motors and see how the temps are. If needed you can still get a fan for the motor. I currently use a Max6 with an old Castle 1717 20t and it seems to run quite cool, but I only did some mild testing with it yet. I ordered the MMX8s 1717 combo from Castle directly for around 359$/330€, lets see if it clears the customs or not :D

Do you intend to run the 1717/MMX8s on 6s or 8s?
Actually I'm not 100% sure yet in which car the MMX8s will go. My current 1717 is borrowed from my XO-1 and the plan was to get the new 1717 installed in the Kraton, keep the Max6 in there and the MMX8s goes in my Infraction. But I'll also test the MMX8s in the Kraton and probably even keep it in there if I like it a lot :D, so it really depends. But I will only run 6s in the Kraton maybe one or two runs on 8s just for the giggles. On 6s with a 20t you will get around 60mph / 95-100kmh, which I think is more than enough :D. I will let you know once the combo arrived, if there is a noticeable difference in power with the MMX8s compared to the Max6 and also between the new and the old 1717. But this won't be happening anytime soon, since these are still on backorder and the shipping to Germany...

Cheers pal, but no worries - it's really less of a "i need maximum power", than more of a "i need a powerful and reliable system that doesn't overheat all the time". I didn't enjoy checking temps every 5 minutes on my old XXL2e, sucks the joy out of it really.

60mph is absolutely plenty, in fact i don't think i'd reach that speed a lot. The MMX8s mainly is interesting to me for the smart-sense, i like the idea of that (though i have no idea how well it works). Other than that, if the Max6 doesn't run hot or unreliable, i'll use that - mainly because it's readily available here in the UK (or from germany).

The main thing really is the motor. As mentioned, i can't find Hobbystar 4092 1730kv in stock anywhere, the 4985kv 1650kv would be great but i've read it overheats in the Kraton (88 degrees someone mentioned in this forum, and i don't think you can get a fan shroud for it), the 1717 is pretty expensive and to me not that interesting without the MMX8s (for smart sense).

Best/easiest option would be the Max6/4985 as mentioned - just would need to speak to someone who actually ran it and who can tell me something about temps/gearing (since admittedly, i don't know much about that).

If I were you, I would try the MMX8S with any 6S motor you can get. Pair it with an Arrma 2050kv and it will be plenty fast for your needs and the MMX8S will keep it cool.

As an example, on my 6S speed runs, with my MM2 Retro ESC I was seeing temps around 150-160F after a single pass. Swap out the ESC for the MMX8S and they dropped to 120-130F. Whatever magic is inside that ESC is amazing.

Oh and I didn’t lose speed either. I picked up a few mph while losing 30F.

I'm not sure i understand how the ESC makes the motor (which pulls X amps regardless of what it's connected to) more efficient?

I understand that the ESC itself is supposedly running cooler, which of course is great - but increasing efficiency by that margin (30F less and higher top speed) makes me wonder if something else played into that.

Or, and that's a possibility too, there's technology in new ESCs that counteracts whatever little i know about them.

I'll keep it in mind, certainly.

I'm not sure i understand how the ESC makes the motor (which pulls X amps regardless of what it's connected to) more efficient?

I understand that the ESC itself is supposedly running cooler, which of course is great - but increasing efficiency by that margin (30F less and higher top speed) makes me wonder if something else played into that.

Or, and that's a possibility too, there's technology in new ESCs that counteracts whatever little i know about them.

When I get my MMX8s I will test if the same old 1717 will run cooler than with the Max6, actually I'm almost certain it will. Like Jondilly said there can be a huge difference with ESCs and motor temps. I also have a MM2 Retro in my Infraction and it's impossible for me to use this ESC paired with a HW2200kv motor for bashing. For one or two speed passes it does great but it runs motors insanely hot. With a Max8 I can run this motor without any issues. I think that's also because this ESC is quite old. And the newer Castle ESCs, especially the MMX8s have up to date firmware with better throttle phase output. I'm no expert by any means but there is definitely a difference in motor temps with different ESCs. What I'm really interested in is to see how the Max6 performs vs the MMX8s in motor temps. I never run into ESC heat issues but I always tend to overheat motors :D. So if this ESC makes quite a difference than this is huge for me.
But there is nothing wrong with the Max6 - 1650kv combo (I mainly bought the MMX8s for the Infraction). I'm almost certain it will do everything you want and probably even more.

They have some type of timing that affects motor temps. It is a drastic change from the MM2R or BLX185

Well, there we go then. I didn't know, but appreciate the explanation. Wouldn't have thought it possible.

That gives me options now - either the Max6/4985 which is readily available, or the MMX8s with.. some motor. 4985 1650, 4092 1650, or the 1717.

Cheers. Off to find a reasonably priced servo i go. :D

@m4inbrain ...
I run a Max6, 4092 rocket motor and 20T in my current Kraton and it's a heavy beast and I never have any heat issues, esc or motor ??
I am lucky enough to have a Mr.duke dual fan mount and I know that helps quite a bit..?

I got a 4985 1650kv motor from Hobbywing and a Max 6, if you have the budget for that combo I highly suggest it. Just beast mode, tons of power and speed and you can play with bigger pinions. And she fits in the stock 25mm mount but still considered a 1/5 motor.

What size pinion do you run on it?
Do you run it on 6 or 8s?
Are you havin any heat problems?

@m4inbrain ...
I run a Max6, 4092 rocket motor and 20T in my current Kraton and it's a heavy beast and I never have any heat issues, esc or motor ??
I am lucky enough to have a Mr.duke dual fan mount and I know that helps quite a bit..?

Are those still available? I've seen a few people mention them.

What 4092 are you running?

What size pinion do you run on it?
Do you run it on 6 or 8s?
Are you havin any heat problems?
Atm I have a 19t pinion stock spur gear, it does get hot so I have a fan setup from NTF on the way. She's an animal though, just tons of power even at high speed if you punch it it wants to wheelie. I have a 22t and 25t on the way, 22t is for stock spur gear and the 25t is for my 50t spur gear. Mr. Duke is the best to ask about pinions. And I run 6s, 8s is too much weight and gets too hot for no reason. ^s is more than enough power an speed.

Okay, at the beginning of the year i bought a Kraton 4s, convinced my son to get a Typhon 3S in May, then last week bought a Notorious 6S and have just placed an order for the Kraton EXB. Delivery will be end of August here in the UK. My wife is beginning to lose her patience with me!

I'm a bit confused by motors and ESC the references you use (MMX8s etc) don't appear to be the same here in the UK. I want something reliable and not too difficult to fit, I've been very impressed by the BLX185 and motor in the Notorious and so far I've only run on 4S. I'm thinking I'll probably go for this as I know where i am with it and hopefully EXB with 6S will mean i do more driving than fixing (a problem I've had with my Kraton 4s).

The BLX 185 and motor combo here in the UK is about £270, is there anything for similar price i should consider? I've got a few Flysky GT5 handsets so will just get a new receiver and put it in the EXB, assume this will be okay?

Servo wise, all the cars I currently have run a DS3225 digital servo which seems to be pretty decent, again I'll use one of these unless anyone says otherwise.

Thanks

Okay, at the beginning of the year i bought a Kraton 4s, convinced my son to get a Typhon 3S in May, then last week bought a Notorious 6S and have just placed an order for the Kraton EXB. Delivery will be end of August here in the UK. My wife is beginning to lose her patience with me!

I'm a bit confused by motors and ESC the references you use (MMX8s etc) don't appear to be the same here in the UK. I want something reliable and not too difficult to fit, I've been very impressed by the BLX185 and motor in the Notorious and so far I've only run on 4S. I'm thinking I'll probably go for this as I know where i am with it and hopefully EXB with 6S will mean i do more driving than fixing (a problem I've had with my Kraton 4s).

The BLX 185 and motor combo here in the UK is about £270, is there anything for similar price i should consider? I've got a few Flysky GT5 handsets so will just get a new receiver and put it in the EXB, assume this will be okay?

Servo wise, all the cars I currently have run a DS3225 digital servo which seems to be pretty decent, again I'll use one of these unless anyone says otherwise.

Thanks
For ease of use and being in the UK, I would suggest looking at the Max6 combo to go in the EXB..???

Atm I have a 19t pinion stock spur gear, it does get hot so I have a fan setup from NTF on the way. She's an animal though, just tons of power even at high speed if you punch it it wants to wheelie. I have a 22t and 25t on the way, 22t is for stock spur gear and the 25t is for my 50t spur gear. Mr. Duke is the best to ask about pinions. And I run 6s, 8s is too much weight and gets too hot for no reason. ^s is more than enough power an speed.

The "mad max fan mount"? Couldn't find much info in regards to what kind of motor they'd fit?

The "mad max fan mount"? Couldn't find much info in regards to what kind of motor they'd fit?
NTF is a guy on facebook, he doesn't have a site yet. He makes all his stuff to order. He has a heatsink that fits the 4985. I'm looking at 256 CAD for his dual fan setup and his esc fan setup with shipping.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back