What did you work on today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter just killed her third Max8 g2. This time around I went with a Castle Monster 2. Today I soldered the plug (IC5) and glued it down with some Shoe Goo. Tomorrow I'll program it and route the wires. The Princess should be happy.

View attachment 361539
Dang, that sucks. Most of the issues I’ve heard of with the new G2 systems seem to be centered around the Max 8. I haven’t seen many problems pop up with the Max 10 or Max 6, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Sometimes things sit on the shelf ignored. Today I said I want to fire up a nitro vehicle! Charged up the battery to my Traxasss S-Maxx (2wd T-Maxx with no reverse) , went to crank up the ez start.......nothing. oh the ez start battery is dead but the light on it says differently. So I charged the ez start battery some more.

Ok I'll crank up the Associated NTC3. Something said check the pull start. Took the glow plug out and tried to crank the motor over. Barely moved! The it comes to mind. "Stupid, you have started these In about 5 years!" Needless to say after a lot of afterrun oil and pulling the motor is free. Smh. Did the same with S Maxx but had to use a screwdriver to free it enough so the ez start did the rest. Now it time for work so have to start tomorrow.

Today lesson, maintenance is needed if you run them or not! Now I need to run the whole fleet at least once this year, no exceptions.

P.s. I hope this nitro fuel is some good! Lol!

Civic this morning and an expedition this afternoon.
IMG_20240418_152820094.jpg

Yeah but bro those motors from the 70-90's actually had main bearings down there that could support that stress put on the crank from luggin a motor 🤣

It's like when honda came out with the 3.5L truck. Had a tow rating based on hp/tq and vehicle weight... everyone that tried towing within the rating knocked out the bottom end! Honda got a TON of crap for this... the reason is that 3.5 might of made power but it wasn't designed with that much stress in mind.. it was designed for a light weight car/van. The main bearings were far to skinny to support the towing......

This is a legit and very common issue with these new jeeps powered with the 3.6. That motor wasn't originally designed to be under those loads for that amount of time. Just like the honda..

My problem isn't with the motor it's with the fools that drive them and are surprised when there is an issue.. A simple gear change would solve it all and bring it back to reliable. Chrysler/jeep state it's a requirement, but that's more money and nobody cares to listen 😅

The old AMC inline didn't care what you did to it, it spoiled folks...
Jeep messed up when they discontinued use of this motor in the jeeps..

Blend door is the door that moves to change direction and or temp of air flow within your heater box. It's a plastic door that has an axle for lack of better term that sticks out if the box. There will be a female star shape in this axle. Then a male side driven by a small gearbix/motor turns this door according to where you turn the knobs...

There is a limiter built into the door actuators usually so when the door is at the end of its travel the motor/gearbox stops...

Nissan didn't use a limiter on theirs on the 2018 rogue.. so what happens is the female axle of the blend door strips out. Then you get a 20$ part that you have to remove the whole dash to get to (heater box removal) and it winds up at $3500 for a dumb problem cause for a dumb reason that never should of happen..

Things being designed dumb like this is my issue with newer cars. So many things fail due to design.

How about Ford putting the water pumps on the 3.5 internally so when it goes out you flood your oil with water and blow the engine??

This is what I mean. Hard to defend ignorant things such as that..

I just 🤣 at all this. If it wasn't for this stuff I wouldn't have food on the table... I rely on junk for a living 😂

I've done 3 timing chains on the gm 3.6L this past week man... the ecotec chains are some money makers. 6hr job and realistically only takes me about 45 min now. I see a few of them a month. Could do those all day everyday in my sleep.

View attachment 361315
That's a fair amount of work in 45 mins, I never got quite that fast on 'em but I could do one in around 2-2.5 hrs. Point is inherent (or on purpose) design flaws coupled with planned obsolescence an ever increasing complexity are making it harder on us and worse for our customers also because of increased labor and parts cost, not to even mention inflation and rising labor rates.

Last edited:
Civic this morning and an expedition this afternoon.View attachment 361625

That's a fair amount of work in 45 mins, I never got quite that fast on 'em but I could do one in around 2-2.5 hrs. Point is inherent (or on purpose) design flaws coupled with planned obsolescence an ever increasing complexity are making it harder on us and worse for our customers also because of increased labor and parts cost, not to even mention inflation and rising labor rates.
One my good friends is ASE & owns his own shop, says same thing. He told me he use to take on anything, but now he'll turn away certain makes or models. Said there is plenty more out there. He's worked on a bunch of my cars & trucks.

Last edited:
One my good friends is ASE & owns his own shop, says same thing. He told he use to take on anything, but now he'll turn away certain makes or models. Said there is plenty more out there. He's worked on a bunch of my cars & trucks.
I was ASE certed when I was younger, have also been GM, Chrysler, and Honda master status. It's why I moved to being a dismantler. The manufactures won't let us do certain things anymore like rebuild trannies, and the electrical issues are becoming a real nightmare. I had a Chrysler 300 SRT8 one time that would just randomly die, put the flight recorder on it andwhen it died everything just stopped reading, not flatlined, like you put it on pause. I ended up finding a gtound pack in the main harness that all the wiring harness that the wires were just twisted together and wrapped in electrical tape, no solder at all. Had a Grand Cherokee that the cd changer was malfunctioning and taking down the can bus, but only when there was a cd in slot 3. There is just so much crazy stuff going on I had to step away. As I said before though, dismantling is way more fun and the pay is better too! It's a win win!

Aaaaand done.
IMG_20240418_161841901_HDR.jpg

I was ASE certed when I was younger, have also been GM, Chrysler, and Honda master status. It's why I moved to being a dismantler. The manufactures won't let us do certain things anymore like rebuild trannies, and the electrical issues are becoming a real nightmare. I had a Chrysler 300 SRT8 one time that would just randomly die, put the flight recorder on it andwhen it died everything just stopped reading, not flatlined, like you put it on pause. I ended up finding a gtound pack in the main harness that all the wiring harness that the wires were just twisted together and wrapped in electrical tape, no solder at all. Had a Grand Cherokee that the cd changer was malfunctioning and taking down the can bus, but only when there was a cd in slot 3. There is just so much crazy stuff going on I had to step away. As I said before though, dismantling is way more fun and the pay is better too! It's a win win!

Aaaaand done.View attachment 361645

Yep I feel you here man. We spent like 6hrs trying to figure out why this gm had no communication with the ecm. Like dead as a door nail no modules reading. Checking over everything wound up finding the lock broke on the abs module plug. Ut was plugged in but not 100%. That connection took down the whole high speed can bus....
Data lines can be a real nightmare and time waster. Absolutely hate wiring issues on these newer cars..

Always love to chat with fellow mechanics about vehicles or wrenching in general. My life kinda revolves around it 😅

So with the 2.4 eco man I cheat a little. I've never seen anyone else mention this trick..1 thing that speeds it up is not to remove the motor mount... that mount runs through the timing cover gasket but the top bridge of that gasket is literally just hanging out there. Doesn't actually go between anything. So when pull the cover I snip the old one and remove. The new one I snip that bridge and remove it. Doesn't have any chance of negative effects. That speeds up the process a decent amount not fiddling with the motor mount/ supporting the motor.
They also give guidance on a step to keep the oil pump gear in alignment when you pull the crank pully but that's bogus. There is no ill effect by just pulling the pully and 9/10 it stays perfectly lined up. If not you can use a pick and just scoot it...
Really isn't anything more to them man. I've done more if them then I could ever remember. Easily in the hundreds I'd bet.

Sometimes things sit on the shelf ignored. Today I said I want to fire up a nitro vehicle! Charged up the battery to my Traxasss S-Maxx (2wd T-Maxx with no reverse) , went to crank up the ez start.......nothing. oh the ez start battery is dead but the light on it says differently. So I charged the ez start battery some more.

Ok I'll crank up the Associated NTC3. Something said check the pull start. Took the glow plug out and tried to crank the motor over. Barely moved! The it comes to mind. "Stupid, you have started these In about 5 years!" Needless to say after a lot of afterrun oil and pulling the motor is free. Smh. Did the same with S Maxx but had to use a screwdriver to free it enough so the ez start did the rest. Now it time for work so have to start tomorrow.

Today lesson, maintenance is needed if you run them or not! Now I need to run the whole fleet at least once this year, no exceptions.

P.s. I hope this nitro fuel is some good! Lol!
so you like playing with nitro

My last nitro Hemi did not end very well $$ I like Alcohol a lot more

Attachments

• F9238EB0-24F1-4897-A3AC-2D52A52CC2FA.png
    F9238EB0-24F1-4897-A3AC-2D52A52CC2FA.png
    484.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 9B6D6E87-3874-4912-B4AC-E95FE1AAD7CF.png
    9B6D6E87-3874-4912-B4AC-E95FE1AAD7CF.png
    641.4 KB · Views: 9
  • CF09D882-1B3B-42AC-AB8D-BB1231B582C4.png
    CF09D882-1B3B-42AC-AB8D-BB1231B582C4.png
    468.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 182421D0-19DB-4F0D-B95B-183568B6DAC5.png
    182421D0-19DB-4F0D-B95B-183568B6DAC5.png
    562.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 7F0B1130-B58A-4CCE-96E1-05ECF8033183.png
    7F0B1130-B58A-4CCE-96E1-05ECF8033183.png
    419.3 KB · Views: 8

That’s a whole lot of shrapnel, man! Dang!

Yep I feel you here man. We spent like 6hrs trying to figure out why this gm had no communication with the ecm. Like dead as a door nail no modules reading. Checking over everything wound up finding the lock broke on the abs module plug. Ut was plugged in but not 100%. That connection took down the whole high speed can bus....
Data lines can be a real nightmare and time waster. Absolutely hate wiring issues on these newer cars..

Always love to chat with fellow mechanics about vehicles or wrenching in general. My life kinda revolves around it 😅

So with the 2.4 eco man I cheat a little. I've never seen anyone else mention this trick..1 thing that speeds it up is not to remove the motor mount... that mount runs through the timing cover gasket but the top bridge of that gasket is literally just hanging out there. Doesn't actually go between anything. So when pull the cover I snip the old one and remove. The new one I snip that bridge and remove it. Doesn't have any chance of negative effects. That speeds up the process a decent amount not fiddling with the motor mount/ supporting the motor.
They also give guidance on a step to keep the oil pump gear in alignment when you pull the crank pully but that's bogus. There is no ill effect by just pulling the pully and 9/10 it stays perfectly lined up. If not you can use a pick and just scoot it...
Really isn't anything more to them man. I've done more if them then I could ever remember. Easily in the hundreds I'd bet.

I love "talking shop" (pun intended) with other wrenches. My life revolves around it as well, lol. I've not ever done those tricks but I do bypass the step you are talking about with the oil pump gear also, I've done more than I can count as well when I was at the dealer. Lowest mileage I've done one was less than 25,000, the tensioner was failing and it broke a guide. It was in a Cobalt that some kid was abusing, all kinda riced out.

The 300 took almost 3 days to figure out, 10 hrs off and on off maybe. Electrical can be a major time suck and a PITA.

Mayhem What GIF by MOODMAN

Awww! A little JB Weld and it would be like new! 😆. Damn bro! That's the real meaning of "blow up the block!" (No Diddy)

I love "talking shop" (pun intended) with other wrenches. My life revolves around it as well, lol. I've not ever done those tricks but I do bypass the step you are talking about with the oil pump gear also, I've done more than I can count as well when I was at the dealer. Lowest mileage I've done one was less than 25,000, the tensioner was failing and it broke a guide. It was in a Cobalt that some kid was abusing, all kinda riced out.

The 300 took almost 3 days to figure out, 10 hrs off and on off maybe. Electrical can be a major time suck and a PITA.

Mayhem What GIF by MOODMAN

I've seen a ton of gummed up tensioner lately causing slacked chains to jump and or breaking guides. Like folks forgot how to change their oil.
I always say those wiring jobs don't pay enough. It's hard to charge for the actual time that gets invested in them.
I mean you could, but thats not how to create a great customer relationship.

Next eco you do check out that gasket trick. You'll be mad about all the times you went through the trouble of messing with the motor mount for no reason.

WRX this morning, and I think I've got a BMW on deck for later today. YEEHAW!
IMG_20240419_070623676.jpg

I've seen a ton of gummed up tensioner lately causing slacked chains to jump and or breaking guides. Like folks forgot how to change their oil.
I always say those wiring jobs don't pay enough. It's hard to charge for the actual time that gets invested in them.
I mean you could, but thats not how to create a great customer relationship.

Next eco you do check out that gasket trick. You'll be mad about all the times you went through the trouble of messing with the motor mount for no reason.
Yea that's exactly what happened with that Cobalt, sticker in the window was nearly 10,000 overdue. Once my shop is finally built at the house maybe I'll do another, you never know, I'll give it a go. (assuming I can remember :LOL:)

Got a new shelf, decided to clear 3 of the old shelves and clean under them, now my living room looks like this. 🤦‍♂️
20240419_155111.jpg

Now I just have to move some shelves around, assemble the new one, then put all these rigs back, then run the vacuum where they left dirt all over the carpet. Worst part is, I still need another shelf. The end goal is to have all the rigs in the living room and dining room. Get them all out of the bedrooms and laundry room. I'm nowhere near that goal.

Got a new shelf, decided to clear 3 of the old shelves and clean under them, now my living room looks like this. 🤦‍♂️View attachment 361913
Now I just have to move some shelves around, assemble the new one, then put all these rigs back, then run the vacuum where they left dirt all over the carpet. Worst part is, I still need another shelf. The end goal is to have all the rigs in the living room and dining room. Get them all out of the bedrooms and laundry room. I'm nowhere near that goal.

Sam's has brand new wheeled ,4 tier metal shelves on sale ,for $40 at the moment.

Screenshot_20240419-150850.png

Got a new shelf, decided to clear 3 of the old shelves and clean under them, now my living room looks like this. 🤦‍♂️View attachment 361913
Good Lord! Ya better get to Ikea and have something custom designed!

Back