Xmaxx questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already picked up wfo gears. 30 -35 spur and 25-30 pinion 👍
25/35 gearing would be ideal for the 1100kv motor. I wouldn't go any higher-end on the pinion. I tried 30/35 gearing because I broke my pinion doing crazy high jumps into concrete and that made the Max 5 hit thermal even on a cool day. That's why I had to install the 800kv motor that I had laying around since 30/35 is for the 800kv motors. I still prefer the 1100kv motor 25/35 gearing. Better throttle response and almost instant full speed. Quicker acceleration too. And less weight.

Its because it has to narrow down to fit in there. That's where they break. They do hold up a little longer from what I keep seeing but nothing to brag about.
They are here. I see where they get narrower. Hopefully they don't break on me. I do around 20ft jumps, so nothing too extreme.
20210815_141640.jpg
20210815_141706.jpg

Fingers crossed for you. Hope they last a lifetime.... or until you sell it lol
Me too! I'm hopeful. Before running my K8S EXB with the new M2C driveshafts, some people mentioned that they broke them from just running around and not even jumping the truck? I've had two short runs with those, and had some bad landings and a HORRIBLE landing on the front (like on one wheel). The driveshafts survived, so hopefully that luck carries a on 🤣👍

I got a hold of the new Xmaxx front steering blocks at my LHS (7737X) with the bigger inner bearings. Traxxas actually used the same inner bearings that the rear RPM hubs use (the outer ones are the same as before) , so it's pretty big. Titanium driveshafts are in. I'm still thinking about going back to the 1100kv motor, since that motor causes less damage than the torque crazy 800kv motor from my personal experience. I'm also going to try a proline body. One pictured shows my battery strap set up, fans and the mesh that I use to protect the fans (bought a cheap item from the dollar stores for that)

20210818_140430.jpg
20210818_140444.jpg
20210818_160905.jpg
20210818_161126.jpg
20210818_161135.jpg
20210818_162934.jpg
20210818_163045.jpg
20210818_163023.jpg

It's funny because my LHS (Alamo City Hobby Shop) usually has the part that I'm looking for when online it's out of stock everywhere. That 7737X is pretty much imposible to find right now. He had 5 in stock. I bought two sets 🤣. I'm about to go rip out that heavy 800kv beast out of my X-Maxx and put back the 1100kv motor from Hobbywing. It's lighter, easier on the drivetrain, and did I mention it performs better when it comes to reaching top speed and rotation in the air.

Much better. 30T 800kv vs 25T 1100kv. Double backflips here we come!

20210818_184516.jpg
20210818_185254.jpg
20210818_185300.jpg
20210818_190710.jpg

Unfortunately they have been breaking just as easy
Some of the biggest jumps so far with the Xmaxx. Including a triple backflip. The WFO titanium driveshafts held up after two runs, including this one :

Hey guys I am thinking of joining the Xmaxx group. Anything to look for on used ones so I do not endup with a 6s version or pos? Thank you for your time.
Yeah. It would be ideal to see it in person. I would suggest going for the latest version. It comes with better front hubs, thicker driveshafts (I have to look at that one myself), improved bulkheads (I'll have to take a look too). So they did raise the price but it might be worth the extra $100? That's what I would do if I was in the market.

Yeah. It would be ideal to see it in person. I would suggest going for the latest version. It comes with better front hubs, thicker driveshafts (I have to look at that one myself), improved bulkheads (I'll have to take a look too). So they did raise the price but it might be worth the extra $100? That's what I would do if I was in the market.
I doubt he’s gonna find a used one with those upgrades 😂 i wished they improved the drive cups, those wear really fast

I doubt he’s gonna find a used one with those upgrades 😂 i wished they improved the drive cups, those wear really fast
I don't have much of an issue with those once I installed the WFO drive cup sleeves. I would break them in half after like one run with the 1/5 electronics without the sleeves. Yeah, out of those improvements, I've only been able to find the 7737X front hubs. I can't seem to find a new number for the thicker driveshafts? I haven't tried researching the new bulkheads yet

Hey guys I am thinking of joining the Xmaxx group. Anything to look for on used ones so I do not endup with a 6s version or pos? Thank you for your time.
Well i’d look for one without the original Traxxas electronics, an upgraded servo and 8s tires.
But it’s hit and miss with used rc’s.
A buddy of mine bought a used 8s and had nothing but trouble with it.
I bought a new roller and installed better electronics and the usual upgrades (rpm rear hubs, alu servo link, rpm hinge pins, unbreakable body, alu bulkheads, gds gearing, alu gearbox cover) and have no troubles other than the burnt motor (original Traxxas) and some bent steering links.

Well i’d look for one without the original Traxxas electronics, an upgraded servo and 8s tires.
I bought a new roller and installed better electronics and the usual upgrades (rpm rear hubs, alu servo link, rpm hinge pins, unbreakable body, alu bulkheads, gds gearing, alu gearbox cover) and have no troubles other than the burnt motor (original Traxxas) and some bent steering links.
Aluminum bulkheads? I've broken only a few bulkheads, but that was on concrete jumping 20ft plus 🤣. Like this :

I don't have much of an issue with those once I installed the WFO drive cup sleeves. I would break them in half after like one run with the 1/5 electronics without the sleeves. Yeah, out of those improvements, I've only been able to find the 7737X front hubs. I can't seem to find a new number for the thicker driveshafts? I haven't tried researching the new bulkheads yet
Ok so the sleeves not only prevent breaking but also reduce wear? Good to know 👍
Aluminum bulkheads? I've broken only a few bulkheads, but that was on concrete jumping 20ft plus 🤣. Like this :
Yes from HotRacing, great upgrade for me, i always drive in loose dune sand and because they don’t flex there is way less sand in my gearboxes compared to the stock ones.

Great video btw, those things can take such a beating

Last edited:
Ok so the sleeves not only prevent breaking but also reduce wear? Good to know 👍

Yes from HotRacing, great upgrade for me, i always drive in loose dune sand and because they don’t flex there is way less sand in my gearboxes compared to the stock ones.

Great video btw, those things can take such a beating
After installing the titanium driveshafts and aluminum diff cases, I'm not sure if I would do these kinds of things anymore honestly. I'd be scared to shatter the driveshafts or break my mod 1.5 gears again, which happened during the season jumps. With the slightly nodded Xmaxx? I probably would 🤣. I'm not scared to send my X-Maxx as high as I can when landing on grass/dirt though off my friend's giant ramp.

Good deal guys. And yea I have found a few new orange xmaxx out there for sale. Are those the ones with the new upgrades?

How can I tell right away if an xmaxx is 6s or was 6s? I will only buy it in person.

Good deal guys. And yea I have found a few new orange xmaxx out there for sale. Are those the ones with the new upgrades?

How can I tell right away if an xmaxx is 6s or was 6s? I will only buy it in person.
The ESC is different. That's one dead giveaway. Honestly I haven't seen a 6s One for sale in a while. The upgrades only come with the newest versions like from Amain

Good deal. I notice theres an affordable price range these go for upgraded vs the ones left stock and ragged out trying to get the same price. $700-750.
The ESC is different. That's one dead giveaway. Honestly I haven't seen a 6s One for sale in a while. The upgrades only come with the newest versions like from Amain
Well i know folks may change the esc so thats one thing. How else can I tell?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back