Kraton EXB - recommend me some electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, ordered the 1717 MMX8S combo, returning the 1515, just seemed like overheating was too common. So I think I'll start out on 6S instead of 8 then, have both, so if primarily 6S what pinion?
Good call.

Most people seem to be running anywhere from an 18t to 22-23t on the 1717. I'm running a 20t and am happy with the wheel speed I get. I might try a 21t just because. Any faster and I'd start to worry about blowing tires, but maybe I'm paranoid.

Good call.

Most people seem to be running anywhere from an 18t to 22-23t on the 1717. I'm running a 20t and am happy with the wheel speed I get. I might try a 21t just because. Any faster and I'd start to worry about blowing tires, but maybe I'm paranoid.
You’re not ?

So I just finished my first quick bash session with max 6 1650kv combo and all I gotta say is wow! The power and torque is amazing never going back to 40xx series motors again ? but after a 5200mah pack and bashing on grass and loose dirt the motor was pretty hot( gotta bring my temp gun next time) so I think I'm going to go down to a 16t from 18t

So I just finished my first quick bash session with max 6 1650kv combo and all I gotta say is wow! The power and torque is amazing never going back to 40xx series motors again ? but after a 5200mah pack and bashing on grass and loose dirt the motor was pretty hot( gotta bring my temp gun next time) so I think I'm going to go down to a 16t from 18t
Define pretty hot, 145* F can burn you in about 5 seconds so these motors can run quite hot. Normal operating temps are probably 150-160*F.

New to Arrma and just ordered the exb.
I have a max8 esc, whats the biggest motor that i can run with that?

Im going 6s for now, but.. In case i want more later on.
Whats my loss in getting a motor that can handle 8s but running 6s vs something more suitable like 4076 2200 kv?

Whats my loss in getting a motor that can handle 8s but running 6s vs something more suitable like 4076 2200 kv?
Why? Seriously, what is your application? Bashing? Big air? Speed running? Bigger motors are heavier and 8S batteries/electronics even more so. Heavier = more breakage. A Max8 and appropriate motor will be plenty fast. If you really want to go crazy then go Castle or Max6/4985 1650kv.

Probably the Hobbystar 4092.

Why? Seriously, what is your application? Bashing? Big air? Speed running? Bigger motors are heavier and 8S batteries/electronics even more so. Heavier = more breakage. A Max8 and appropriate motor will be plenty fast. If you really want to go crazy then go Castle or Max6/4985 1650kv.
Hard bashing, big air, mx freestyle ramps and mx tracks.
received_863865360805614.jpeg

Had an dhk maximus before but got tired of reparing... ?
Got the taste of 6s and there i am now, but will probably want 8s later on.

So, what happens if i get a bigger motor now? will i burn the esc?

If you are running an MMX6/2200 combo, you might want to start with a 12T pinion. That’s a small combo for a heavy rig and 18T is gonna get hot really fast.
2200kv is not the best motor for that rig. If you were running a Lim for speed running at 6S maybe yes. It will still get hot. That motor runs great on 4S with taller gearing, for say a track Buggy. Racing. Not much torque geared tall in an off-roader for any big air.. IMHO.

I have a Granite blx v3 that I was hoping I could use the motor and ESC to put in the Kraton 1/8 EXB. I have a 25kg servo and Dumborc transmitter/receiver. Would I need a different pinion? I know it won't be hitting 60 but for a first build I would be fine with 40.

Never going to work the blx 3s motor is for 1/10 scale and way to small and under powered , very minimum you need is the stock system from the 6s rigs but I would suggest something beefier because the exb weighs more then the RTR versions

Never going to work the blx 3s motor is for 1/10 scale and way to small and under powered , very minimum you need is the stock system from the 6s rigs but I would suggest something beefier because the exb weighs more then the RTR versions
How about the JLB cheetah 120a ESC and 2500kv motor?

Thats a 3670 size motor so it's longer then the blx but still the same diameter around , doubt it would even fit in the motor mount of the EXB and even if it did I don't see it lasting a whole pack without overheating just grab yourself a stock 6s system from eBay or Jennys Rc or get a 40 series size motor from hobby star or bangood Amazon special

How about the JLB cheetah 120a ESC and 2500kv motor?

Too small on both counts. The EXB has more extra-strong parts and more aluminum. That means more weight so it needs a bigger motor with lower KV and a higher amp rated ESC than the RTR 6S trucks. If you are trying to go as cheap as possible I think a Max8 combo will be the minimum. You will have to buy a SMALLER than stock pinion, but it's close to the RTR electronics.

Hobbywing EzRun Max8 v3 150A Waterproof Brushless ESC T/TRX Plug+2200KV Motor For 1/8 RC Car Parts
https://banggood.app.link/tqXabScgscb

But if you want it to run well and not worry about overheating and be able to use bigger pinions I'd go with the Hobbywing Max6 1650KV motor combo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back