Kraton EXB - recommend me some electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too small on both counts. The EXB has more extra-strong parts and more aluminum. That means more weight so it needs a bigger motor with lower KV and a higher amp rated ESC than the RTR 6S trucks. If you are trying to go as cheap as possible I think a Max8 combo will be the minimum. You will have to buy a SMALLER than stock pinion, but it's close to the RTR electronics.

Hobbywing EzRun Max8 v3 150A Waterproof Brushless ESC T/TRX Plug+2200KV Motor For 1/8 RC Car Parts
https://banggood.app.link/tqXabScgscb

But if you want it to run well and not worry about overheating and be able to use bigger pinions I'd go with the Hobbywing Max6 1650KV motor combo.
How do you find the lipos on Banggood? It’s confusing as hell!!!!
It's actually great on 6s, 8s will be mental :D. You just need to gear it up slightly for 6s, I would recommend a 20t.
I just got the EXB and the Max 6 1640 I’ve got the standard spur on a 23t pinion ( I don’t think it will fit a bigger one because of the screw holes in the M mount) and it’s running fine. It’s quick got loads of torque and it’s not overheating in any way
Still got crazy amounts of punch (I’m on 3) and you can pop wheelies at any speed. I just wish I could get hold of an Arrma wheelie bar plus I think I’m tempted to get the Talion wing as it looks way stronger
I am looking for a a decent center mount brace F+R if there’s any suggestions rather than the Chinese stuff and has the right slots cut in so the rear is a direct fit?

Last edited:
How do you find the lipos on Banggood? It’s confusing as hell!!!!

I just got the EXB and the Max 6 1640 I’ve got the standard spur on a 23t pinion ( I don’t think it will fit a bigger one because of the screw holes in the M mount) and it’s running fine. It’s quick got loads of torque and it’s not overheating in any way
Still got crazy amounts of punch (I’m on 3) and you can pop wheelies at any speed. I just wish I could get hold of an Arrma wheelie bar plus I think I’m tempted to get the Talion wing as it looks way stronger
I am looking for a a decent center mount brace F+R if there’s any suggestions rather than the Chinese stuff and has the right slots cut in so the rear is a direct fit?

I get LiPos mostly from Amazon, but I know what I am looking for. I'll dig into the category for RC Car Parts and search for LiPo 22.2v or 11.1v and then sort by price, highest first. That seems backwards but it lets me see the big high mAh batteries at the top of the list and then move down through the list. Then on the left you can filter by mAh, brand, price, etc. I have a few brands I have tried that work pretty well so far, but I have stuck with 3S batteries in matched pairs so far.

I get LiPos mostly from Amazon, but I know what I am looking for. I'll dig into the category for RC Car Parts and search for LiPo 22.2v or 11.1v and then sort by price, highest first. That seems backwards but it lets me see the big high mAh batteries at the top of the list and then move down through the list. Then on the left you can filter by mAh, brand, price, etc. I have a few brands I have tried that work pretty well so far, but I have stuck with 3S batteries in matched pairs so far.
Ive seen the thread on CHNL Batteries and went ahead and ordered some of the red n black ones.100C 5200mah 3s Im not sure what series they are but 4 of them set me back £99 and whatever it costs to get them into the uk. Theres a YouTube page where they do speed runs with all the Arrmas and they checked the brand out and were really impressed by them, but if there good and they last,, well its a score! If not and I don't get too good of a result then £99 isn't a massive amount to loose but I just hope they are good!

I ordered mine on the 2nd and I just got a msg saying that my new lipos are here in county so it will of only taken just over 2 weeks to get them
Dunno what there gonna be like 100c with 200c bursts 🤣I really hope nothing blows up. That’s quite a lot of power but the 50c gensacearespammers get mega hot when I use them but the overlander 35-65c stay much cooler
That’s running a Max6 1650 set up with 50t spur and 23t pinion
I’m hoping the xtra juice keeps the batteries cooler as they shouldn’t be working so hard plus I’m running 2 fans that cover whole motor and more

I ordered mine on the 2nd and I just got a msg saying that my new lipos are here in county so it will of only taken just over 2 weeks to get them
Dunno what there gonna be like 100c with 200c bursts 🤣I really hope nothing blows up. That’s quite a lot of power but the 50c gensacearespammers get mega hot when I use them but the overlander 35-65c stay much cooler
I’m hoping the xtra juice keeps the batteries cooler as they shouldn’t be working so hard plus I’m running 2 fans that cover whole motor and more.

I can heat up my 50C 3S HRB 5,000 mAh batteries just running my Notorious on stock gearing. I have some new 6,000 mAh 3S Zeee 60C that are working well so far, although it's difficult to judge when it's -18 C. I keep the trucks and batteries inside and then put them in my SUV where it's warm until they run, but at those temperatures they get cold pretty quick. I've been running the HRBs more because they are on the edge enough that they stay hot! :D

I can heat up my 50C 3S HRB 5,000 mAh batteries just running my Notorious on stock gearing. I have some new 6,000 mAh 3S Zeee 60C that are working well so far, although it's difficult to judge when it's -18 C. I keep the trucks and batteries inside and then put them in my SUV where it's warm until they run, but at those temperatures they get cold pretty quick. I've been running the HRBs more because they are on the edge enough that they stay hot! :D
You saw my thread on my steering issue well I just put it back together and (NO BATTERIES NO WHEELS NOTHING) turned the steering by the 17m hexes back n forth
I noticed my fan start to turn on the ESC so I started to move the steering faster and faster back n forth and then the light on the ESC came on in red and kept blinking intermittently while moving the steering quickly
I tried to video it but it’s really hard without having a stand for my phone or something to hold it in position while I do it
Have you ever heard of this happening before? The only thing I can think of is by turning the steering quickly I’m somehow generating electricity from the servo! Totally bizarre and something I’ve never come across
All the wiring is in correctly, the only thing I can think of is the motor fan is connected to the battery port in the receiver just like the “Destructions” say to do. But if you or anyone for that matter can offer any insight I’d be interested to hear it 👍

You saw my thread on my steering issue well I just put it back together and (NO BATTERIES NO WHEELS NOTHING) turned the steering by the 17m hexes back n forth
I noticed my fan start to turn on the ESC so I started to move the steering faster and faster back n forth and then the light on the ESC came on in red and kept blinking intermittently while moving the steering quickly
I tried to video it but it’s really hard without having a stand for my phone or something to hold it in position while I do it
Have you ever heard of this happening before? The only thing I can think of is by turning the steering quickly I’m somehow generating electricity from the servo! Totally bizarre and something I’ve never come across
All the wiring is in correctly, the only thing I can think of is the motor fan is connected to the battery port in the receiver just like the “Destructions” say to do. But if you or anyone for that matter can offer any insight I’d be interested to hear it 👍
Evey electric motor is a generator if you turn the shaft. Not a very efficient one, but a generator it is. Unless there is something to filter it out, turning the servo motor manually will generate a DC current in the BEC circuit servo is connected to. That circuit includes the receiver and the ESC. It's just a DC circuit after all and it doesn't much matter which part of the circuit the power is generated from. Normally the BEC port on the ESC puts out 6v or 7.4v DC at a certain amp capacity. I haven't measured how much current you can generate by manually turning the servo, but it is enough to turn your fans and partially energize your ESC. I would have thought they would put something in the receiver or ESC in that circuit to prevent current being generated that could damage the ESC or receiver, but it is possible that this is why bad servos have been frying receivers and ESCs.

My electronics don't do this in my Notorious or my son's KEXB... but we run DumboRC radios and I suspect the DumboRC receiver has something in the circuit that prevents this. I don't get a fan spin or a light of any sort no matter how fast I move that servo by hand in any of our rigs. My Notorious had a KS3518, now has a DS3235, and had a stock one at some point - none did it. My son's Kraton EXB has a JS Ecoboost 35kg and it doesn't do it. The KEXB has a Max6 ESC, my Notorious has a Quickrun 150a, and my son's ECX Amp has a TSky 120a ESC. They are all Hobbywing... but so are the Spektrum and BLX ESCs. I suspect I don't see it because of the DumboRC receiver. Do you have another receiver to swap in to see if it stops it?

Evey electric motor is a generator if you turn the shaft. Not a very efficient one, but a generator it is. Unless there is something to filter it out, turning the servo motor manually will generate a DC current in the BEC circuit servo is connected to. That circuit includes the receiver and the ESC. It's just a DC circuit after all and it doesn't much matter which part of the circuit the power is generated from. Normally the BEC port on the ESC puts out 6v or 7.4v DC at a certain amp capacity. I haven't measured how much current you can generate by manually turning the servo, but it is enough to turn your fans and partially energize your ESC. I would have thought they would put something in the receiver or ESC in that circuit to prevent current being generated that could damage the ESC or receiver, but it is possible that this is why bad servos have been frying receivers and ESCs.

My electronics don't do this in my Notorious or my son's KEXB... but we run DumboRC radios and I suspect the DumboRC receiver has something in the circuit that prevents this. I don't get a fan spin or a light of any sort no matter how fast I move that servo by hand in any of our rigs. My Notorious had a KS3518, now has a DS3235, and had a stock one at some point - none did it. My son's Kraton EXB has a JS Ecoboost 35kg and it doesn't do it. The KEXB has a Max6 ESC, my Notorious has a Quickrun 150a, and my son's ECX Amp has a TSky 120a ESC. They are all Hobbywing... but so are the Spektrum and BLX ESCs. I suspect I don't see it because of the DumboRC receiver. Do you have another receiver to swap in to see if it stops it?
Nope only the old one that’s in my HPI and it’s hanging on to life by electrical tape
The servo is the Savox 35kg
I’ve been doing the steering all day trying to reduce the movement and it is possible but it gets tight so I’ve backed it off
I went into the camber problem too and took a look and I could get wheels straight by removing the red cup on the A arm at the bottom and adding to the top but I ran out of time so just changed the rebound
At end of the day the RC is to have fun and as long as it’s working and doing what I want it to do then that’s the whole point of RC
Anyway that was a fairly conclusive answer you gave me, I could try changing the port the fan is plugged into on the receiver as that’s a battery port as that maybe would stop the loop if that’s right word in the circuit. I’m not that good with electrical stuff, I don’t even know how to use a multi meter🤣🤣🤣but I could do diagnostics on your real car
I’m going to go to the jump track tomorrow and see if I can actually get full packs out of it for a change 👍👍👍

I’m hoping the xtra juice keeps the batteries cooler as they shouldn’t be working so hard plus I’m running 2 fans that cover whole motor and more
Just to continue on with what I said about the gensacearespammers
I bought 4 as they were recommended in deal by shop I bought EXB from
1 they replaced already and the 1 that went bad I discovered today has possibly knackered it’s twin I was using it with and now a third doesn’t seem to want to balance
I ran the 2 I know work to flat then the ones that wouldn’t balance I ran for 5 mins today to take some charge out so I’m gonna see if by doing that I can restore the balance
It’s not charger as overlanders are fine I think it’s just these gensacearespammers aren’t up to the power I’m pulling from them and maybe that’s problem 🤷‍♂️

image.jpg
Well these bad boys turned up this morning and only took just over 2 weeks which is pretty quick and I didn’t have to pay any import or tax on them so super stoked on that one!
You have to bear in mind these were on offer and only cost £99 for the 4 or $126 so these are an experiment to see if there worth the money
I’ve checked the balance on them and there all pretty much bang on perfect with only 0.1-0.2 difference in the cells
I’ll report back once tested plus the packing they come wrapped in is water resistant sponge and about 3/4-1cm thick
Perfect for bashing
We’ll see how they go

Last edited:
Can crap batteries cause your brake to loose power? When I first got the gensacearespammers and the exb I started with the brake set at “I think without looking at program card” 35%then 50 then settled at 62.5 even at 50 I could flip the car on the rd hitting full brake
Last time I was out I had to turn it up to 75% as it didn’t feel as strong
Anyone know anything about this? I did seem to have full power forwards and had no problem doing stalled backflips
I didn’t try to much else as it’s a been a while since I’ve been out and I’m still getting used to how the kraton is in the air as I’ve always had buggies before
Thanks
Stupid predictive text keeps saying gensacearespammers! WTF! It should always say gensacearespammers batteries 🤣
Can crap batteries cause your brake to loose power? When I first got the gensacearespammers and the exb I started with the brake set at “I think without looking at program card” 35%then 50 then settled at 62.5 even at 50 I could flip the car on the rd hitting full brake
Last time I was out I had to turn it up to 75% as it didn’t feel as strong
Anyone know anything about this? I did seem to have full power forwards and had no problem doing stalled backflips
I didn’t try to much else as it’s a been a while since I’ve been out and I’m still getting used to how the kraton is in the air as I’ve always had buggies before
Thanks
Stupid predictive text keeps saying gensacearespammers! WTF! It should always say gensacearespammers batteries 🤣
It’s done it again 🤯
Gens
Ace
Batteries

View attachment 127446Well these bad boys turned up this morning and only took just over 2 weeks which is pretty quick and I didn’t have to pay any import or tax on them so super stoked on that one!
You have to bear in mind these were on offer and only cost £99 for the 4 or $126 so these are an experiment to see if there worth the money
I’ve checked the balance on them and there all pretty much bang on perfect with only 0.1-0.2 difference in the cells
I’ll report back once tested plus the packing they come wrapped in is water resistant sponge and about 3/4-1cm thick
Perfect for bashing
We’ll see how they go

Those look like a really good deal. I look forward to hearing how they perform. I have some in my cart. 😬

Those look like a really good deal. I look forward to hearing how they perform. I have some in my cart. 😬
All charged n ready to go first thing tomorrow, 1 small issue is there a super tight fit and you can't run any padding. I reckon the weight is about the same as the GENS... ACE....3S.....50C.... soft packs though
No problems charging and they ballanced out quick too. As you've got some in your cart ill tell you tomorrow what I thin of them, im hoping for a bit more punch than then Gens...Ace

The CHNL packs are epic, so much punch in them I flipped the car on its roof as soon as I hit the throttle. For $126 for 4 5200mah 100c 200c burst batteries you can’t complain at all
Obviously it’s first day with them but they lasted ages and in the air you can do a backflip any time you want and off absolutely nothing
So much more power than the gensacearespammers 50c. Right now I really can’t say enough good things about them. I was filming with my Mavic Pro 2 and I was fiddling with the car at same time but the drone died before the CHNL did on the first packs I put through them
Unfortunately I didn’t finish the 2nd pack, I did a tiny back flip but couldn’t see where I was landing, tried to drive away but 2wd broke the box,the wing, the sway bar end sheered off, rear arm came off, dog bone shot off too. No idea how it landed but it doesn’t look pretty. Here’s some pics of the aftermath
Point of this is the batteries, I’m super impressed and I’d definitely recommend them especially being so cheap 10/10
If you know of a better wing mount please tell me as it’s annoying as hell paying £10.95 a time plus £4 postage
I’d rather get something that last or bends a bit more rather than snaps

3D18A1AF-883C-4443-A93C-D50261B1DB7D.jpeg

A9DDC3A3-217F-41E6-BC18-D63317461578.jpeg

688C7ACC-1F79-4B43-AB14-C95AA45E65A0.jpeg

The CHNL packs are epic, so much punch in them I flipped the car on its roof as soon as I hit the throttle. For $126 for 4 5200mah 100c 200c burst batteries you can’t complain at all
Obviously it’s first day with them but they lasted ages and in the air you can do a backflip any time you want and off absolutely nothing
So much more power than the gensacearespammers 50c. Right now I really can’t say enough good things about them. I was filming with my Mavic Pro 2 and I was fiddling with the car at same time but the drone died before the CHNL did on the first packs I put through them
Unfortunately I didn’t finish the 2nd pack, I did a tiny back flip but couldn’t see where I was landing, tried to drive away but 2wd broke the box,the wing, the sway bar end sheered off, rear arm came off, dog bone shot off too. No idea how it landed but it doesn’t look pretty. Here’s some pics of the aftermath
Point of this is the batteries, I’m super impressed and I’d definitely recommend them especially being so cheap 10/10
If you know of a better wing mount please tell me as it’s annoying as hell paying £10.95 a time plus £4 postage
I’d rather get something that last or bends a bit more rather than snaps

View attachment 127899

View attachment 127900

View attachment 127901

Well I caved and splurged for another off road car. I got the EXB and did a max6 1650kv. I ordered an 18 tooth pinion, really hoping for decent performance on 4s since we don't use 6s except for very occasional running.

Well I caved and splurged for another off road car. I got the EXB and did a max6 1650kv. I ordered an 18 tooth pinion, really hoping for decent performance on 4s since we don't use 6s except for very occasional running.

The Max6 and that big motor add quite a bit of weight. For running on 4S I suspect you would see better performance from a Max8 and a smaller and higher KV motor. You may also want to look at @Basherqueen carbon fiber parts to save some weight. I would also suggest smaller/lighter tires like the Backflip LPs and higher gearing to match.

The Max6 and that big motor add quite a bit of weight. For running on 4S I suspect you would see better performance from a Max8 and a smaller and higher KV motor. You may also want to look at @Basherqueen carbon fiber parts to save some weight. I would also suggest smaller/lighter tires like the Backflip LPs and higher gearing to match.
Ugh that's too bad. We'll see how it goes. One of our trucks is a Rival MT and the other is a TT MT4 G3 which is about twice as fast and twice the acceleration of the Rival. The Rival has a Max 8 in it. Maybe we could take that out and put it in this. I really wish I could find another thunder tiger. Seriously been the most awesome truck of all time.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back