What did you work on today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to think I'm quite good at soldering, but I hate doing batteries..!!

I get so paranoid I'm going to touch the iron across the terminals...?

Once before I touched the wires together on a 2s pack I ?? myself with the noise it made and the amount of sparks..!! and it was at low voltage too..?
Yep... did that 3 or 4 times. Still seeing white spots. lol!

Battery tray is in, receiver box relocated, and rear tower realigned. So you're probably asking "wtf is the sponge for?" Well I'll tell you. I no longer use the front body mounts. Their placement is a recipe for constant carnage and I got tired of replacing them all the time. The sponge supports the hood and I use a zip tie to hold the body down. Zip ties are cheap and easy to snip and replace. The concept is also helping to make the body last longer since the sponge absorbs a lot of the impact when landing upside down. Ghetto? Abso f'n lutley!
20190920_010320.jpg

Johnny, I thought you had some driving lessons recently? Have you regressed?
My achievements of late have given me a false sense of security. Yesterday i was attempting 4 and 5 rotations out of the skate park bowl. Two successful landings and two catastrophic ones. Feels like high school, 50% was the high water mark.

Got XT90's on all 3 of my dual pack trucks.

Now I probably really should inspect the rear diff in my outcast to see if the rtv is holding up in place of the cap gasket... Ugh... I hate diffs.
2019-0917-gollum-weHatesThem.jpg

Worked on my outcast.
- replaced the V2 servo saver with the hot racing one that uses a lockable collar
- replaced the front bulkhead with a new one, stripped chassis screws in the old one
- replaced front bumper/hinge pin retainer, ripped the old one into pieces when I lost the screws. Left the outcast bumper and cut it down to fit behind the RPM bumper
- since I was there, I put in the 3rd armma alloy diff I had built that I removed a gasket/sealed with rtv. Was able to fit 2 or 3 shims on the ring gear side, mesh is pretty good
- adjusted my toe, had too much toe out and on hard nose landings, was ripping pivot balls through the axle carriers
- replaced the axle carriers on the front
- installed the front titanium tower
- removed the T2T brace... fighting the urge to put it back in
- installed body clip holders, tired of losing them

Still need to replace the t-bone rear skid/wheelie bar brace as it cracked half way through. Sent t-bone an email to buy just that piece and they shipped me a new piece for free. I ordered a 12" square of 1/8" kydex, going to try making one before I cut the new one up to fit how I want it.

2019-0930-Outcast-BodyClipRetainersSide.jpg

2019-0930-Outcast-NoT2T-FrontTitaniumTowerFront.jpg

Worked on my outcast.
- replaced the V2 servo saver with the hot racing one that uses a lockable collar
- replaced the front bulkhead with a new one, stripped chassis screws in the old one
- replaced front bumper/hinge pin retainer, ripped the old one into pieces when I lost the screws. Left the outcast bumper and cut it down to fit behind the RPM bumper
- since I was there, I put in the 3rd armma alloy diff I had built that I removed a gasket/sealed with rtv. Was able to fit 2 or 3 shims on the ring gear side, mesh is pretty good
- adjusted my toe, had too much toe out and on hard nose landings, was ripping pivot balls through the axle carriers
- replaced the axle carriers on the front
- installed the front titanium tower
- removed the T2T brace... fighting the urge to put it back in
- installed body clip holders, tired of losing them

Still need to replace the t-bone rear skid/wheelie bar brace as it cracked half way through. Sent t-bone an email to buy just that piece and they shipped me a new piece for free. I ordered a 12" square of 1/8" kydex, going to try making one before I cut the new one up to fit how I want it.

2019-0930-Outcast-BodyClipRetainersSide.jpg

2019-0930-Outcast-NoT2T-FrontTitaniumTowerFront.jpg
6s is taking its toll. I remember the guy that ran 4s and it was almost indestructible. Oh my, what two little cells can do.

6s is taking its toll. I remember the guy that ran 4s and it was almost indestructible. Oh my, what two little cells can do.
now imagine 2 more cells on top of that ?

It's like trying to tame a rabid ferret high on meth ?

now imagine 2 more cells on top of that ?

It's like trying to tame a rabid ferret high on meth ?
When's the maiden voyage for the 8s beast?

I ran a pack through it on 8s a couple weekends ago, testing everything out, but playtime's on hold from now until the end of October, stocking up and getting ready for winter.
Today was round bales, 2nd cutting of the season.
IMG_1922.JPG

I ran a pack through it on 8s a couple weekends ago, testing everything out, but playtime's on hold from now until the end of October, stocking up and getting ready for winter.
View attachment 49605
All work and no play means you've got your head in the right place. We can wait, but there has to be a promise of video when it gets it's real first outing. Maybe a video of @Mr.Duke driving the tractor for us to pass the time?

I put a bit into it even when it was 4S. Couple diffs, wing mounts (3 or 4), 80% of the body damage, messed up chassis, alloy chassis braces... after a year of relatively hard running, time became a factor. I don't tear down my trucks until there's damage or something noticeably awry. With the pillow balls pulling through the front axle carriers, time was likely part of it... 15 feet of air and lawn darting at 45mph+ didn't help either... lol!

Fine clay bar and light polish. I’ll do paint correction this week and polish chrome work. View attachment 49102View attachment 49103

3.8 or 4.2?
View attachment 49605

Yep. They're bringing in the hay, and harvesting the corn here. Winter is coming, and the farmers know it better than 'city folk'!
Took one of my complete eBay diffs apart to see how it works. I've never used a diff like these before (Planetary gearset), so until I get my fingers in it, it's a bit of a mystery.

And I've already learned a lot, like the two housing halves are off just enough to make them bind a tiny bit. Taking out the one shim it came with helps, but as soon as you tighten the yoke halves together it doesn't spin freely. It's on bearings, so with the pinion out of there, it should spin freely, neglecting bearing drag.

Ordered some aluminum yokes from Hot Racing, which hopefully are machined well enough, and are stiff enough, that they don't bind up the diff case when tightened together.

I'm going to build-up the two diffs I bought with the heavy duty input shafts, new AVIC "Revolution Ceramic" bearings, and see if I can get them "right".

I'm going to do the same with the slipper clutch, but that will have an adjustable motor mount so I can set the spur/pinion mesh properly.

And my HOTA "DC6+" charger arrived today, so I'm learning that, too.

Looks like I'll be busy all winter.....!

Last edited:
All work and no play means you've got your head in the right place. We can wait, but there has to be a promise of video when it gets it's real first outing. Maybe a video of @Mr.Duke driving the tractor for us to pass the time?
I found it almost impossible to work all the controls with one hand while trying to hold a phone steady with the other ?

I'm calling it early so I can go pay attention to the "win theirs Kraton body" server drive thread that ends in 40 minutes
IMG_1940.JPG

Back