What did you work on today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get what you’re saying, but I’m going to be the devils advocate. Every repair you just mentioned (minus the “stripped blend door” (I know not WTF that is…) has always been fixed here and there for low mileage cars. I’ve been wrenching since the ‘70’s and have fixed a sh’t ton of trannies, fuel pumps, pulled the heads for complete valve jobs, etc. etc. etc. on cars that were so bad that none of the big 3 could make an engine that wasn’t toast at 100k miles. Remember those days? For any tech to say “they don’t build them like they used to” I’d agree. And I’d be happy for that. Automobiles are far, far superior to anything Chevy, Chrysler, or Ford could have ever imagined in the ‘70’s.
And people were putting big tires on off-roaders with no regard of gearing changes since how long? 😂
Thank the good Lord I don't work on cars no more .old cars simple get in and get out job done .now with these new cars ,your spending hours removing plastic form the engine bay just to install a simple fkin light build like wtf..🤬 VW. Omg even worse ..removing a front bumper and loosening front fenders just to install a fkin battery 🤷 oh you wanna do a simple change of spark plugs....good luck with that another hour removing more unneeded dressy plastic before you can even start the job lol.sure automotive has gotten alot better in some ways ..but not in everything..Back in the day how many sensors did a car have ? One maybey two ? Not theses days lol there is a fkin sensor for everything.annoying ..I'll work on a simple 1.6 Toyota 4 Banga all day than deal with all this plastic ...not to mention sheet metal these days is nothing compared to the earlier days....almost everything made now is like paper ..god forbid you hit a bug at 50 mph ..your whole crap is totaled 🤣🤣. I'll take roll down windows all day instead of a push button that you hope to god it works on a rainy day

Go ahead and laugh but I hate any vehicle with a screen and there getting larger. Just more BS to distract and malfunction.
That's why my next 1:1 rig is gonna be either a V8 G body, or an 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.

My wife had to have 2023 corvette stingray it’s a mid engine I’m not going to work on it

BD4A19AA-C468-491C-A9FA-1EAFA19616DD.jpeg

Not a fan of thier chains on any models to be honest.
Not a fan of very many newer cars though from a mechanical standpoint.
Yes they make more power then they used too.. yes they get better milage... reliability though? Hardly.
Think back a few weeks when I posted the 22 gmc I had the heads off doing lifters at 60k miles.
Or look at the 23 gmc I just did a transmission in.. or the 21 gmc sitting there for a trans also.
Or the 2018 nissan rouge that has a stripped blend door and is a $3500 job to fix (its a $20 part... ).
Or the 2018 honda Hrv I just did a fuel pump in.
Or the 2015 ford diesel we got that won't run that we havnt diagnosed yet.

I just had 21 cars and most if them where 2017+ and something pretty big or costly to repair.
Doesn't matter what they are. They're all junk anymore.
Next victim- 2013 jeep needs a motor. This is what happens when you put oversized tires on a 3.6 CAR engine with small bearings and don't re-gear for the bigger tires. Bottom ends don't like being lugged around.

View attachment 361274
The 3.8 in the Jeep was even worse, spinning bottom end bearings like crazy, lost count of how many I've rebuilt/replaced.

You are right, planned obsolescence in action. GM had major timing chain issues with it's 3.6 in the suvs, also a labor intensive job, as well as trans issues. Nissan cvt trans has to be the worst one though. When the dealership parts department stocks transmissions, that's a big problem. There is a class action suit over it that they have settled.

https://lemonlawexperts.com/2022-ni...eed to pay over,2015 – 2018 Nissan Pathfinder

I get what you’re saying, but I’m going to be the devils advocate. Every repair you just mentioned (minus the “stripped blend door” (I know not WTF that is…) has always been fixed here and there for low mileage cars. I’ve been wrenching since the ‘70’s and have fixed a sh’t ton of trannies, fuel pumps, pulled the heads for complete valve jobs, etc. etc. etc. on cars that were so bad that none of the big 3 could make an engine that wasn’t toast at 100k miles. Remember those days? For any tech to say “they don’t build them like they used to” I’d agree. And I’d be happy for that. Automobiles are far, far superior to anything Chevy, Chrysler, or Ford could have ever imagined in the ‘70’s.
And people were putting big tires on off-roaders with no regard of gearing changes since how long? 😂

Yeah but bro those motors from the 70-90's actually had main bearings down there that could support that stress put on the crank from luggin a motor 🤣

It's like when honda came out with the 3.5L truck. Had a tow rating based on hp/tq and vehicle weight... everyone that tried towing within the rating knocked out the bottom end! Honda got a TON of crap for this... the reason is that 3.5 might of made power but it wasn't designed with that much stress in mind.. it was designed for a light weight car/van. The main bearings were far to skinny to support the towing......

This is a legit and very common issue with these new jeeps powered with the 3.6. That motor wasn't originally designed to be under those loads for that amount of time. Just like the honda..

My problem isn't with the motor it's with the fools that drive them and are surprised when there is an issue.. A simple gear change would solve it all and bring it back to reliable. Chrysler/jeep state it's a requirement, but that's more money and nobody cares to listen 😅

The old AMC inline didn't care what you did to it, it spoiled folks...
Jeep messed up when they discontinued use of this motor in the jeeps..

Blend door is the door that moves to change direction and or temp of air flow within your heater box. It's a plastic door that has an axle for lack of better term that sticks out if the box. There will be a female star shape in this axle. Then a male side driven by a small gearbix/motor turns this door according to where you turn the knobs...

There is a limiter built into the door actuators usually so when the door is at the end of its travel the motor/gearbox stops...

Nissan didn't use a limiter on theirs on the 2018 rogue.. so what happens is the female axle of the blend door strips out. Then you get a 20$ part that you have to remove the whole dash to get to (heater box removal) and it winds up at $3500 for a dumb problem cause for a dumb reason that never should of happen..

Things being designed dumb like this is my issue with newer cars. So many things fail due to design.

How about Ford putting the water pumps on the 3.5 internally so when it goes out you flood your oil with water and blow the engine??

This is what I mean. Hard to defend ignorant things such as that..

I just 🤣 at all this. If it wasn't for this stuff I wouldn't have food on the table... I rely on junk for a living 😂

The 3.8 in the Jeep was even worse, spinning bottom end bearings like crazy, lost count of how many I've rebuilt/replaced.

You are right, planned obsolescence in action. GM had major timing chain issues with it's 3.6 in the suvs, also a labor intensive job, as well as trans issues. Nissan cvt trans has to be the worst one though. When the dealership parts department stocks transmissions, that's a big problem. There is a class action suit over it that they have settled.

https://lemonlawexperts.com/2022-ni...eed to pay over,2015 – 2018 Nissan Pathfinder

I've done 3 timing chains on the gm 3.6L this past week man... the ecotec chains are some money makers. 6hr job and realistically only takes me about 45 min now. I see a few of them a month. Could do those all day everyday in my sleep.

20231211_083701.jpg

Yeah but bro those motors from the 70-90's actually had main bearings down there that could support that stress put on the crank from luggin a motor 🤣

It's like when honda came out with the 3.5L truck. Had a tow rating based on hp/tq and vehicle weight... everyone that tried towing within the rating knocked out the bottom end! Honda got a TON of crap for this... the reason is that 3.5 might of made power but it wasn't designed with that much stress in mind.. it was designed for a light weight car/van. The main bearings were far to skinny to support the towing......

This is a legit and very common issue with these new jeeps powered with the 3.6. That motor wasn't originally designed to be under those loads for that amount of time. Just like the honda..

My problem isn't with the motor it's with the fools that drive them and are surprised when there is an issue.. A simple gear change would solve it all and bring it back to reliable. Chrysler/jeep state it's a requirement, but that's more money and nobody cares to listen 😅

The old AMC inline didn't care what you did to it, it spoiled folks...
Jeep messed up when they discontinued use of this motor in the jeeps..

Blend door is the door that moves to change direction and or temp of air flow within your heater box. It's a plastic door that has an axle for lack of better term that sticks out if the box. There will be a female star shape in this axle. Then a male side driven by a small gearbix/motor turns this door according to where you turn the knobs...

There is a limiter built into the door actuators usually so when the door is at the end of its travel the motor/gearbox stops...

Nissan didn't use a limiter on theirs on the 2018 rogue.. so what happens is the female axle of the blend door strips out. Then you get a 20$ part that you have to remove the whole dash to get to (heater box removal) and it winds up at $3500 for a dumb problem cause for a dumb reason that never should of happen..

Things being designed dumb like this is my issue with newer cars. So many things fail due to design.

How about Ford putting the water pumps on the 3.5 internally so when it goes out you flood your oil with water and blow the engine??

This is what I mean. Hard to defend ignorant things such as that..

I just 🤣 at all this. If it wasn't for this stuff I wouldn't have food on the table... I rely on junk for a living 😂

I've done 3 timing chains on the gm 3.6L this past week man... the ecotec chains are some money makers. 6hr job and realistically only takes me about 45 min now. I see a few of them a month. Could do those all day everyday in my sleep.

View attachment 361315
Oh hell no

Got the bottom mount battery tray 90% done, just need to trim a little. Perfect amount of room for a 4s 4500mah battery. Stainless steel 134g front bumper attached with 3 ounces of tire weights on top of the chassis near the servo to balance the weight with the new 3674 motor.

1000006126.jpg
1000006127.jpg

:unsure:...got up at 3am and drove gf to airport, came home, dozed off watching news. Got new tire for liberty cuz spare dry rotted and exploded on rear tire carrier. Took bulldog out every hour or he will dump on floor and eat it. Just confirmed gf made it to Minnesota after flying on Boeing poop can.

Back